User Avatar Image

Doug or Carley?

posted by Demopan on - last edited - Viewed by 31.3K users

I was a bit dissapointed, seeing the statistics for this one. I saved Doug, and don't regret it one bit. Doug is a very resourceful character, he's funny, he's very relateable and is useful in any situation. Carley is too serious, and doesn't add very much. She has a gun, sure, but once you run out of ammo, or lose the gun, she has no redeeming qualities. her resourcefulness hits rock bottom (radio), and she has an instinctive reaction to solve every problem with her gun. She also has very little humor. I'm also getting a little tired of people saving someone just because they have a pair of boobs.

188 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Rommel49 said: Actually, we can gather from the information given just in Episode 1 that at a minimum, things are apparently pretty bad statewide. Going by the messages Clem's mother left on the answering machine Savannah evidently crapped the bed after an attempt to quarantine it, and Savannah's more or less clear on the opposite side of the state from Atlanta (which is also a pretty big indication the quarantine wasn't all that successful).

Granted, in my case I wasn't in "must repopulate!" mode, Carley just seemed more useful. At the time, she was the only person with a firearm, already helped out three or so times (of course, she loses points for saving Duck... the ditz :p), whereas Doug was kinda an empty uniform aside from programming a remote.

Bad for Georgia does not necessarily mean bad EVERYWHERE. It's clear that the underlying message is that there is still hope for "rescue" from some outside entity. I think it's harder to view it that way as a player though, seeing as how we know we are only in the first episode of a five part story (couple this with anyone who knows about the Walking Dead universe from the show or the comics, and I can see where a lot of people get on with creating their new world order :)). If it was a true disaster, most people wouldn't give up hope after only a few days.

To put it bluntly, if I had to make the decision in episode two, I would probably have been more inclined to be thinking about repopulation than in episode one. As it was, I saw Doug being pulled out of a window by several walkers, and Carley was grabbed by the ankle by one Walker. I definitely thought Doug needed more help.

• @Sisterofshane said: Bad for Georgia does not necessarily mean bad EVERYWHERE.

Meanwhile in Canada Life still thrives as Canadians have closed off the borders stopped the Walker thread dead and have their universal healthcare to prevent anyone else from dying and turning.

• @CapnJay said: Meanwhile in Canada Life still thrives as Canadians have closed off the borders stopped the Walker thread dead and have their universal healthcare to prevent anyone else from dying and turning.

If you promise to take Bryan Adams and Justin Beiber back to their homeland b4 you close the border it would be totally worth it!

• Did my first play through last night. After trying to save Hershel's son and seeing Kenny run I thought "crap if I had saved Duck, Kenny would have helped me move the tractor." So I chose Carley, thinking she would save Doug, since she had the gun and could shoot across the room. I didn't realize the choices were so black in white. :o

• @ozzmann said: If you promise to take Bryan Adams and Justin Beiber back to their homeland b4 you close the border it would be totally worth it!

Bieber can stay in the states with Selena Gomez

• @Sisterofshane said: Bad for Georgia does not necessarily mean bad EVERYWHERE. It's clear that the underlying message is that there is still hope for "rescue" from some outside entity. I think it's harder to view it that way as a player though, seeing as how we know we are only in the first episode of a five part story (couple this with anyone who knows about the Walking Dead universe from the show or the comics, and I can see where a lot of people get on with creating their new world order :)). If it was a true disaster, most people wouldn't give up hope after only a few days.

To put it bluntly, if I had to make the decision in episode two, I would probably have been more inclined to be thinking about repopulation than in episode one. As it was, I saw Doug being pulled out of a window by several walkers, and Carley was grabbed by the ankle by one Walker. I definitely thought Doug needed more help.

Sorry, this isn't a Hurricane of Earthquake. If friggin' DEAD PEOPLE started to walk around and EAT THE LIVING, you're damn right we'd all be thinking long term. Especially if a whole state got wiped out. (Georgia, in terms of size and population, is as large as MOST countries! Let that sink in for a moment.)

• @Death689God said: Sorry, this isn't a Hurricane of Earthquake. If friggin' DEAD PEOPLE started to walk around and EAT THE LIVING, you're damn right we'd all be thinking long term. Especially if a whole state got wiped out. (Georgia, in terms of size and population, is as large as MOST countries! Let that sink in for a moment.)

You're speaking out of your general doom and gloom attitude, Death. Still. glad to know that some people will always jump to conclusions before being given sound evidence [/sarcasm]....

Calm down for a moment and think about what the narrative is telling you before you reach the conclusion that we're all gonna die. Doug is about the only person who notes that this might take longer than a couple of days to sort out. Less than a week in, and most people would probably still assume that the government will come in and rescue them (also made evident by the dialogue and spoken by several characters).

Sure, there will always be people who assume it's the end of the world - they do the same with other natural disasters, too. A majority of people still will hold out hope that it will all be over soon (especially as everyone is considering the fact that transmission only occurs through bites).

So yes, Georgia is large, and yes, this is a catastrophe, but it's just not reasonable for most people to be thinking they are the only hope left for the species in such a short amount of elapsed time. Georgia is NOT the entire world. It is possible for something catastrophic to happen in a place the size of Georgia and it isn't the end of the world.

Hence the episode two timeline "jump". Now (three months in with no change or contact) is when you start thinking the s*** has hit the fan. So, like I said earlier, had the Carley/Doug decision come in episode two, then I think it would be reasonable to be thinking about the longest-term survival needs such as repopulation. Less than a week after the disaster strikes, no.

• @Sisterofshane said: You're speaking out of your general doom and gloom attitude, Death. Still. glad to know that some people will always jump to conclusions before being given sound evidence [/sarcasm]....

Calm down for a moment and think about what the narrative is telling you before you reach the conclusion that we're all gonna die. Doug is about the only person who notes that this might take longer than a couple of days to sort out. Less than a week in, and most people would probably still assume that the government will come in and rescue them (also made evident by the dialogue and spoken by several characters).

Sure, there will always be people who assume it's the end of the world - they do the same with other natural disasters, too. A majority of people still will hold out hope that it will all be over soon (especially as everyone is considering the fact that transmission only occurs through bites).

So yes, Georgia is large, and yes, this is a catastrophe, but it's just not reasonable for most people to be thinking they are the only hope left for the species in such a short amount of elapsed time. Georgia is NOT the entire world. It is possible for something catastrophic to happen in a place the size of Georgia and it isn't the end of the world.

Hence the episode two timeline "jump". Now (three months in with no change or contact) is when you start thinking the s*** has hit the fan. So, like I said earlier, had the Carley/Doug decision come in episode two, then I think it would be reasonable to be thinking about the longest-term survival needs such as repopulation. Less than a week after the disaster strikes, no.

Call me doom and gloom all you want, but Grandma's corpse getting up and ripping mommies face off isn't really my Idea of Rainbows and Sunshine. Also, as I stated before, my Lee doesn't know if he wants it to get better. (I chose the "Was bad before" option with Katjaa). The only people that would really hold out hope in a situation like that, are the kinda people who let what they want to be override what is the most probable scenario.
    My Lee isn't that big on those hopes everyone else has. At least if the world's gone to hell, he's free.

• @Death689God said: Call me doom and gloom all you want, but Grandma's corpse getting up and ripping mommies face off isn't really my Idea of Rainbows and Sunshine. Also, as I stated before, my Lee doesn't know if he wants it to get better. (I chose the "Was bad before" option with Katjaa). The only people that would really hold out hope in a situation like that, are the kinda people who let what they want to be override what is the most probable scenario.
    My Lee isn't that big on those hopes everyone else has. At least if the world's gone to hell, he's free.

The same could be said for you - wanting to see the events of episode one as the beginning of the end of the world instead of what it is. Nobody here is making light of the situation in which we find ourselves - yes, it is bad. Things may possibly get worse before they get better. But if you can't hold out hope that life may ever return to normal for even a week, or worse, you would actually PREFER what was occurring to life as it was before as a whole, you just aren't "most people".

• @Sisterofshane said: The same could be said for you - wanting to see the events of episode one as the beginning of the end of the world instead of what it is. Nobody here is making light of the situation in which we find ourselves - yes, it is bad. Things may possibly get worse before they get better. But if you can't hold out hope that life may ever return to normal for even a week, or worse, you would actually PREFER what was occurring to life as it was before as a whole, you just aren't "most people".

I'd say the people who were in for the Long Haul on day 1 will be "most people" just short of a year later.

Add Comment