User Avatar Image

Doug or Carley?

posted by Demopan on - last edited - Viewed by 24.5K users

I was a bit dissapointed, seeing the statistics for this one. I saved Doug, and don't regret it one bit. Doug is a very resourceful character, he's funny, he's very relateable and is useful in any situation. Carley is too serious, and doesn't add very much. She has a gun, sure, but once you run out of ammo, or lose the gun, she has no redeeming qualities. her resourcefulness hits rock bottom (radio), and she has an instinctive reaction to solve every problem with her gun. She also has very little humor. I'm also getting a little tired of people saving someone just because they have a pair of boobs.

188 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Sisterofshane said: Haven't played either of them.

I have, but back to the point before. There's a difference between hope and fools hope. If you're in it for the long haul, that is to say you're planning for future generations as well, it's natural to have some hope humanity will make it through. The Saint John's and Bandits ARE NOT in it for the long haul. They're very short term, day to day, survival instinct based. They're prepared to live, but they're not long term strategists. (The Saint John's never even keep women around to continue on the family line, and the Bandits have been shown to turn on eachother for the simplest of reasons)

Just because the army won't come in and put things back to the way they were with magic, doesn't mean civilization dies. It simply means civilization as it was does. Tribal civilizations (Zulu, Apache, Celts, etc.) all had Civilization, perhaps not civilized by our standards. But they're a lot closer to what the people of this new world will need... Survivalism, Brutality, Cold-Logic, this doesn't mean you can't be civilized. It just means what you consider "civilized" has to change, as it always has. Civilization is a product of humanity, not the other way around, it changes when we will it to.

• @CapnJay said: it's about post apocalyptic societies attempting to rebuild. new vegas had two diffrent warring factions The guys who were using ancient roman tactics and the guys who wanted modern law and order and bureaucracy and society

All three of them sucked, I went Wildcard. :P
    Would have gone Legion if it weren't for the Sexism.

• @Sisterofshane said: Bad for Georgia does not necessarily mean bad EVERYWHERE. It's clear that the underlying message is that there is still hope for "rescue" from some outside entity. I think it's harder to view it that way as a player though, seeing as how we know we are only in the first episode of a five part story (couple this with anyone who knows about the Walking Dead universe from the show or the comics, and I can see where a lot of people get on with creating their new world order :)). If it was a true disaster, most people wouldn't give up hope after only a few days.

To put it bluntly, if I had to make the decision in episode two, I would probably have been more inclined to be thinking about repopulation than in episode one. As it was, I saw Doug being pulled out of a window by several walkers, and Carley was grabbed by the ankle by one Walker. I definitely thought Doug needed more help.

That's why I said that at a minimum the information we have access to gives us a pretty big clue the problem is atleast statewide, simply based on the distance between Savannah and Atlanta.

However, one could reasonably infer that the infection crossed state borders as well:

The quarantine in Savannah was unsuccessful, Savannah not only has an airport, it has access to the sea. It's also not far from South Carolina.

The lack of apparent military involvement at this point would be a pretty big clue as well that things are looking grim. Georgia's home to Ft. Benning, one of the largest military bases in the nation (incidentally, where I went for basic). Benning's not that far from Atlanta from what I remember; the fact we don't see much in the way of any sort of real military presence near the biggest city in the state implies they already failed (somehow) and couldn't deploy in force to aid the rest of the state.

A good chunk of the characters seem to have some indication the situation could potentially last longer than a few days or get worse, Carley brings up the possibility when she confronts Lee about his past and it being potentially detrimental to the group. Kenny's plan to retreat to his boat is predicated on the situation getting worse.

• @Death689God said: I have, but back to the point before. There's a difference between hope and fools hope. If you're in it for the long haul, that is to say you're planning for future generations as well, it's natural to have some hope humanity will make it through. The Saint John's and Bandits ARE NOT in it for the long haul. They're very short term, day to day, survival instinct based. They're prepared to live, but they're not long term strategists. (The Saint John's never even keep women around to continue on the family line, and the Bandits have been shown to turn on eachother for the simplest of reasons)

Just because the army won't come in and put things back to the way they were with magic, doesn't mean civilization dies. It simply means civilization as it was does. Tribal civilizations (Zulu, Apache, Celts, etc.) all had Civilization, perhaps not civilized by our standards. But they're a lot closer to what the people of this new world will need... Survivalism, Brutality, Cold-Logic, this doesn't mean you can't be civilized. It just means what you consider "civilized" has to change, as it always has. Civilization is a product of humanity, not the other way around, it changes when we will it to.

i'd like to see or read i should say your idea of the next civilization since each one builds on the achievements of the past and becomes greater then the one before it. But with the walker "virus" not having been cured.

• @Rommel49 said: That's why I said that at a minimum the information we have access to gives us a pretty big clue the problem is atleast statewide, simply based on the distance between Savannah and Atlanta.

However, one could reasonably infer that the infection crossed state borders as well:

The quarantine in Savannah was unsuccessful, Savannah not only has an airport, it has access to the sea. It's also not far from South Carolina.

The lack of apparent military involvement at this point would be a pretty big clue as well that things are looking grim. Georgia's home to Ft. Benning, one of the largest military bases in the nation (incidentally, where I went for basic). Benning's not that far from Atlanta from what I remember, the fact we don't see much in the way of any sort of real military presence near the biggest city in the state implies they already failed (somehow) and couldn't deploy in force to aid the rest of the state.

A good chunk of the characters seem to have some indication the situation could potentially last longer than a few days or get worse, Carley brings up the possibility when she confronts Lee about his past and it being potentially detrimental to the group. Kenny's plan to retreat to his boat is predicated on the situation getting worse.

Good Catch.

• @CapnJay said: i'd like to see or read i should say your idea of the next civilization since each one builds on the achievements of the past and becomes greater then the one before it. But with the walker "virus" not having been cured.

That'll take me a while to write out and I don't feel particularly inspired to write it right now. (In debate mode) So you might have to wait till the morrow.

• @Death689God said: All three of them sucked, I went Wildcard. :P
    Would have gone Legion if it weren't for the Sexism.

A female Courier working for the Legion is the best playthrough you'll ever get. for one scene in Lonesome Road

Ulysses: Used to be You had to have a weapon between your legs to wield one for the legion.
    Female Courier: Is that why you quit?
    Ulysses: What do you... Oh you've got Spirit you better save it for the Divide.

• @CapnJay said: A female Courier working for the Legion is the best playthrough you'll ever get. for one scene in Lonesome Road

Ulysses: Used to be You had to have a weapon between your legs to wield one for the legion.
    Female Courier: Is that why you quit?
    Ulysses: What do you... Oh you've got Spirit you better save it for the Divide.

I always wondered if going Female Legion would change the Sexism aspect in the long haul... Might give it a try. But let's get back on track.

• @CapnJay said: it's about post apocalyptic societies attempting to rebuild. new vegas had two diffrent warring factions The guys who were using ancient roman tactics and the guys who wanted modern law and order and bureaucracy and society

I know the general idea of what they're about, I just have to be a little choosey about what games I get to play. Tight budgets and time constraints, being the working mom of a two year old!

And @Death689God, you've kind of contradicted yourself countering the point I was trying to make. Brutality? I'm pretty sure that means the opposite of civilized. Besides, the point I was trying to make wasn't that the apocalypse means that society will or won't die - just that within such a short time frame, there really is no reason to assume (unless you're religiously inclined to believe that the dead only come back during this time) that this IS the apocalypse. You want to believe that just because you're looking beyond tomorrow that you are more correct or more apt to survive? Be my guest. To me it's not the sole criterion for choosing who's life I will save (Guess I should feel sorry for Carley, as apparently one of the primary reasons she gets to live is that she is a baby-maker!:p).

Maybe I'm feelin' this way because I don't play a lot of zombie games, nor do I watch zombie movies or TV shows. Heck, I didn't even know about the Walking Dead until my husband suggested that it was the type of game I might like.

and @ Rommel, One thing I've always considered is that when a major disaster DOES strike, to not count on a quick or timely rescue effort from the government. Even here in CA we're told to have supplies handy for all members of your family for at least a week, and I double that to two weeks just to be safe! So from my point of view, less than a week really isn't enough time to consider outside intervention as "hopeless". I definitely would have abandoned this mindset sometime between episodes one and two.

• @Sisterofshane said: I know the general idea of what they're about, I just have to be a little choosey about what games I get to play. Tight budgets and time constraints, being the working mom of a two year old!

And @Death689God, you've kind of contradicted yourself countering the point I was trying to make. Brutality? I'm pretty sure that means the opposite of civilized. Besides, the point I was trying to make wasn't that the apocalypse means that society will or won't die - just that within such a short time frame, there really is no reason to assume (unless you're religiously inclined to believe that the dead only come back during this time) that this IS the apocalypse. You want to believe that just because you're looking beyond tomorrow that you are more correct or more apt to survive? Be my guest. To me it's not the sole criterion for choosing who's life I will save (Guess I should feel sorry for Carley, as apparently one of the primary reasons she gets to live is that she is a baby-maker!:p).

Maybe I'm feelin' this way because I don't play a lot of zombie games, nor do I watch zombie movies or TV shows. Heck, I didn't even know about the Walking Dead until my husband suggested that it was the type of game I might like.

Yeah, the part I put in Bold really makes a big difference. But we call it the "Apocalypse", not because of any religious connotations, but because it's a word that sums up "The World has just been dashed and thrashed in such a manner it'll never be the same again" A way to say the world's ended, but not really. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ZombieApocalypse

Also, you don't really have any Idea what civilized means do you? If you did you'd see there was no contradiction at all (Prepare for a Rant of Colossal Proportions): It means having civilization, and civilization takes on many forms. As with the examples I mentioned, the Zulu, Apache, and Celts were some very brutal people. (Hell the Celts kept heads of fallen enemies outside their home.) The way You're using "civilized", as in a comparative way to other cultures, is really one of the most absurd things you can do. That practice basically started with Greeks and Romans, the term "barbarian" comes from the Romans thinking Non-Romans spoke like this "Barbabrbabrbbar". It's basically like saying "Ching Chang Chong" when talking about Asians. Throughout history whole societies, and even races, were considered "Uncivilized". (Remaining "Civilized" is one of the reasons the end of slavery took so long) It's basically Cultural Tool Waving, whose tool is bigger and can please the most ladies? Anyone that doesn't conform to the persons sense of culture is "Uncivilized", as you can imagine this comes with some Unfortunate Implications. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UnfortunateImplications
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ValuesDissonance

IMO, using "Civilized" the way you do is in itself Uncivilized. :P

Add Comment