User Avatar Image

Doug or Carley?

posted by Demopan on - last edited - Viewed by 15.2K users

I was a bit dissapointed, seeing the statistics for this one. I saved Doug, and don't regret it one bit. Doug is a very resourceful character, he's funny, he's very relateable and is useful in any situation. Carley is too serious, and doesn't add very much. She has a gun, sure, but once you run out of ammo, or lose the gun, she has no redeeming qualities. her resourcefulness hits rock bottom (radio), and she has an instinctive reaction to solve every problem with her gun. She also has very little humor. I'm also getting a little tired of people saving someone just because they have a pair of boobs.

187 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • What I find interesting is that a lot of us make the Doug/Carley decision based on a utilitarian/survivalist consideration of who's more useful (I know I did - I chose Carley because I figured being able to reliably headshot a zombie on top of a fellow survivor was a more useful skill than reprogramming a universal remote, and forgot that Carley said Doug had saved her from the walkers earlier), and yet the dev team didn't seem to make that an option when the survivor asks how you made your choice.

• @fanganga said: What I find interesting is that a lot of us make the Doug/Carley decision based on a utilitarian/survivalist consideration of who's more useful (I know I did - I chose Carley because I figured being able to reliably headshot a zombie on top of a fellow survivor was a more useful skill than reprogramming a universal remote, and forgot that Carley said Doug had saved her from the walkers earlier), and yet the dev team didn't seem to make that an option when the survivor asks how you made your choice.

Pretty much, though I wouldn't tell the person I saved that anyway. Probably wouldn't inspire trust to tell somebody you only saved them because they're a better tool than the person you let get eaten.

A much better example would be the Irene choice, particularly if you didn't give her the gun. "Why didn't you just give it to her?", "Because I wasn't about to give the only gun our group has to some nutty stranger, you really can't see how that could have gone terribly wrong for us?". Had absolutely nothing to do with morals or what have you.

• Yeah, I get that it wouldn't be the optimal choice, but the lack of an option and a "damn that's cold" response kind of stood out. I guess you're coming from the perspective that someone calculating enough to choose who to save based on usefulness would also be calculating enough to avoid brutal honesty when talking to the survivor.

As for Irene, there was at least a coldly practical dialogue option - "I wanted to save the bullet", IIRC, although by avoiding the other risks you mention it does make Lee seem far more ruthless than your option. When I came to that decision point, I was worried about the noise and planning to use the axe - but in hindsight, I don't think any of the trio would be so far into zombie apocalypse mode as to chop up a living person who was *probably* going to turn.

• @fanganga said: Yeah, I get that it wouldn't be the optimal choice, but the lack of an option and a "damn that's cold" response kind of stood out. I guess you're coming from the perspective that someone calculating enough to choose who to save based on usefulness would also be calculating enough to avoid brutal honesty when talking to the survivor.

As for Irene, there was at least a coldly practical dialogue option - "I wanted to save the bullet", IIRC, although by avoiding the other risks you mention it does make Lee seem far more ruthless than your option. When I came to that decision point, I was worried about the noise and planning to use the axe - but in hindsight, I don't think any of the trio would be so far into zombie apocalypse mode as to chop up a living person who was *probably* going to turn.

Basically. There's just no way to phrase what is essentially "because I can use you" that's going to make you seem remotely trustworthy, especially under the circumstances. Even if you're thinking it, there's no real upside (and quite a few downsides) to saying it... unless you want to be seen as a complete bastard by the people you're living with. :p

More or less. I think shooting her yourself should've been a valid option; hell, she brings it up herself "Then do it for me!", and it's less ambiguous as a "moral" choice.

• Carley or .. who?

There is some guy named Doug in this game? O_O

Ohhhh, you mean the random guy who had programming his tv remote memorized and became zombie chow in act 1 by intelligently leaning up against a window full of zombies. ;)

• It's a shame Doug got very little in episode 1. His character really starts to shine in episode 2, and Carley offers little in episode 2 in the way of being interesting.

• @Demopan said: It's a shame Doug got very little in episode 1. His character really starts to shine in episode 2, and Carley offers little in episode 2 in the way of being interesting.

Turnabout is fair play.

• @zenstrata said: Carley or .. who?

There is some guy named Doug in this game? O_O

Ohhhh, you mean the random guy who had programming his tv remote memorized and became zombie chow in act 1 by intelligently leaning up against a window full of zombies. ;)

Don't forget that it's the guy who asked over and over again if did you want to have a look outside the drugstore. :D

He loved zombies.

• @NessaT said: I've seen worse. This is still quite alright - although, my eyes tend to glaze over when faced with a wall of words.

In other news, Carley all the way!

Ha Ha Well said Nessa, I try to keep my posts about a paragraph long. Some people however, write a small book!:D

• @ozzmann said: Ha Ha Well said Nessa, I try to keep my posts about a paragraph long. Some people however, write a small book!:D

Hahaha... I know, right? Sometimes I try to sit in and listen to both sides - but sometimes I just give up because the entire discussion is basically going:-

A: "I'm right, you're stupid".
    B: "No, you're stupid".
    A: (rinse, lather, repeat)

Add Comment