User Avatar Image

The First Video Game You Ever Played?

posted by Ringed Raygun on - last edited - Viewed by 686 users

The very first one you've played -- or at least remember playing? Looking for non-kiddie stuff here -- the first REAL video game, with a dedicated story and non-educational entertainment and such?

For me, it was Starship Titanic. Funny game, great design, weird logic. I finally beat it only about a year ago after an enormous pause. This was shortly followed by Grim Fandango, which I was also clueless at. Didn't even get past the second year until I revisited it so long after my first tries at it -- and I had to be helped to even accomplish that.

Weird games for a three or four year old to play, though. X_x Hehe, to explain, they were my brother's, and I borrowed them for some . . . reason I can't remember. He's just under 10 years older than me -- probably he just showed them to me so I wouldn't bother him while he played Playstation or something.

Whenever I was done I'd play a Sesame Street thing or something. I don't know.

/life story

So what's the first non-kiddie game you remember playing? Not looking for any arguments on what really constitutes a "non-kiddie game," and you should know what I mean by that.

77 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I THINK it was Alex Kidd on the Master System. It's so long ago I can barely remember though.

• It was a SNES game, I'm pretty sure of that, but which one I don't know. (I was about 4 at the time)

I think it was either Super Mario World or The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, I remember playing those.

I also remember playing Yoshi's safari with a super scope.

We might of had Dungeon Master, and Pilotwings as well. And Super Probotector (aka Contra 3) as well. And Donkey Kong Country.

(I must of been very young when we had it, because I was born in 1991 (And we traded the console in to get a N64 sometimes around its release))

I know the game that got me hooked on gaming and that was Pokemon Blue.
    Playing that game to the extreme, even as a child, kind of sparked a flame that hasn't been extinguished yet! :D

EDIT: I had a Mega Drive as well. I remember having Lion King and Sonic, (we sold it at some point, then we got another one from my uncle).

• @RetroVortex said:
    I also remember playing Yoshi's safari with a super scope.

I just threw away both of those last year. Time to clean house.

• Also, it may have been a Gameboy game. Tetris or Super Mario Land (being the most worn cartridges that we have! XD).
    My old man claims we got a Gameboy first, but I don't think he got it straight away, (don't forget how expensive games were back then!).

Man. I got fantastic memory when it comes to games! XD

• @Syd said: SMB_Duck_Hunt.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVER

I had a very generic introduction to video games.

Same here.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Ringed Raygun said: The very first one you've played -- or at least remember playing? Looking for non-kiddie stuff here -- the first REAL video game, with a dedicated story and non-educational entertainment and such?

I think you're really underestimating the age of a lot of the community members here.

s_MsPacMan_2.png

• The NES came with a game. No actually 3.

Super Mario Bros.
    Tetris
    Nintendo Football World Cup.

It was one of those.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

Super Mario Bros., I think. I know it's the first video game I got for Christmas (I also got the NES bundle that came with SMB/Duck Hunt).

I also remember playing Ms. Pac-Man and Donkey Kong Jr. at truck stops when I would go with my dad on his landscaping trips. But, I was probably older then since I don't think he would have taken a 7 year old to truck stops with him. I also remember playing a sitdown cocktail version of Millipede in the lobby of our local Pizza Hut. But I think that came after I got an NES for Christmas too since I remember joysticks feeling foreign to me since I was used to the gamepad. So, yeah, probably Super Mario Bros.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@der_ketzer said: The NES came with a game. No actually 3.

Super Mario Bros.
    Tetris
    Nintendo Football World Cup.

It was one of those.

The NES came with SMB, and only that.
    I confirm that for Germany at least.

Add Comment