User Avatar Image

The First Video Game You Ever Played?

posted by Ringed Raygun on - last edited - Viewed by 952 users

The very first one you've played -- or at least remember playing? Looking for non-kiddie stuff here -- the first REAL video game, with a dedicated story and non-educational entertainment and such?

For me, it was Starship Titanic. Funny game, great design, weird logic. I finally beat it only about a year ago after an enormous pause. This was shortly followed by Grim Fandango, which I was also clueless at. Didn't even get past the second year until I revisited it so long after my first tries at it -- and I had to be helped to even accomplish that.

Weird games for a three or four year old to play, though. X_x Hehe, to explain, they were my brother's, and I borrowed them for some . . . reason I can't remember. He's just under 10 years older than me -- probably he just showed them to me so I wouldn't bother him while he played Playstation or something.

Whenever I was done I'd play a Sesame Street thing or something. I don't know.

/life story

So what's the first non-kiddie game you remember playing? Not looking for any arguments on what really constitutes a "non-kiddie game," and you should know what I mean by that.

77 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Myst. I was young enough to not have any clue what the hell I was doing, but just walking around was cool.

• @Vainamoinen said: The NES came with SMB, and only that.
    I confirm that for Germany at least.

Not when I got mine. I was late for the party though.

• Should've got Batman, that was a kick-ass NES game. I still have that music in my head.

• First handheld was Pokemon Crystal, and first console game was Mario party 7.

• @Johro said: Should've got Batman, that was a kick-ass NES game. I still have that music in my head.

I had that one. Was too hard for me and I got stuck on a boss.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

First game I really fell in love with - Faxanadu - was way too hard for me when I first played it. Same with the Game Boy cartridge Gargoyle's Quest. I eventually beat them sans problems when I was older.

• @der_ketzer said: I had that one. Was too hard for me and I got stuck on a boss.

I'll admit I never beat it as a kid either. Took me forever to get past the security boss or whatever the hell those two grey boxes were, and when I did, Firebug annihilated me. One game genie years later, I realised I was right before the Joker.

• Nooooooooo... my PS3 just crashed on me, just as I attempted to post a lengthy and heartfelt account of my earliest gaming memories. Please mod gods, say that you can wave a magic wand and retrieve my post? It was the most heartfelt thing that I've ever written (I sincerely mean that)! :(

Here's the second most heartfelt thing that I've ever written; fuck you Sony. From the very depths of my heart - fuck you and your shitty web browser. You're always sure to let me post some drunken rambling (that I inevitably regret posting in the morning) but the one time I seriously needed you to work without a hitch, you fuck me in the arse. Fuck you, fuck you very much, Mr. Sony.

EDIT: There is a God and he's not a mod! For some bizzare reason I discovered that the crashed page was still present... kind of. It was invisible to the eye but the PS3 was registering the page as being there. A ghost page! Sadly, I was unable see or interact with the phantom page but I pressed L1 (the 'back' shortcut) and hey presto; my post was back on screen.

Long story short; my post is below...

• The year was 1986 and I can still vividly recall being on a Ferry to France at the age of 4 with my family and seeing some older boys playing on the arcade game 'Kung-Fu Master'. I was too young to reach the controls of the cabinet at the time but it fascinated me nonetheless; an animated character on a screen, that could be controlled by you. I remember finding it to be a wonderous and fascinating concept.

It wasn't until a year or so later that I got the opportunity to actually play my first game; 'Frogger' on my Dad's friend's computer. The experience of finally controlling a character on a screen myself was every bit as exciting as I had imagined it would be, having watched those lads beating up pixelated martial artists during the previous year. 'Frogger' remains one of my favourite games to this very day.

The first game that I owned came in the form of an unexpected present when I was a 7 year old boy. My Dad arrived home from work one day and told me that he had a surprise for me; an old DOS based computer that he'd rescued from the office skip, along with a 5 1⁄4-inch floppy disk containing a 'Qix' clone, titled 'Styx'.

It felt as though I must be dreaming as my Father set the computer up on the desk in my bedroom. I could hardly wait to start playing, for fear that I may suddenly awake and realise that the whole scenario had been nothing more than a figment of my fertile imagination. However, it was no dream and for the next couple of years, I would be itching to finish school for the day so that I could rush home and eagerly await my Father's return from work, so that we could resume competing for the high-score on 'Styx'.

I hold all of the above memories very close to my heart. They represent a happier time in my life and an introduction to a life long love for gaming. I am certain that I will forever remember these moments with great affection, up until the day I die.

• I can't exactly remember, except that it was something on the Intellivision in the mid 1980s. I would have been around 4 or 5 at the time so say 85/86.

Add Comment