User Avatar Image

Rate The Last Movie(s) You Watched

posted by Secret Fawful on - last edited - Viewed by 19.4K users

Same as the Rate the Last Game You Finished topic but with movies. There should be more film talk around here. So, I'll start off with the movies I've seen in the past few days.

Law-Abiding Citizen - 5.5/11

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World - 7/11

Sword of the Stranger - 9/11

Blade Runner: Final Cut - 11/11

Blade Runner is one of those films I want to love but also want to hate.

1.8K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Supposedly he was playing off some preexisting tension between the two as well. Cartwright originally auditioned for the role of Ripley, if I recall correctly. She was apparently also left largely uninformed about the chest-bursting scene. Either Ridley didn't think much of her as an actress, or she just brought out something sadistic in him. I've always been a little dubious about the idea of directors tricking actors into "genuine" performances, especially when said director brags about it later.

• @Noname215 said: Pulp Fiction 2/10

Fuck that shit.

My, my; what a well written review. You certainly make a compelling argument. There I was, thinking that 'Pulp Fiction' was a well written, directed and acted film but your wordsmith genius has convinced me otherwise. Fuck that shit indeed!

@Noname215 said: ...She was apparently also left largely uninformed about the chest-bursting scene.

That's a common misconception. Naturally the actors were aware of what was about to occur, they had read the script after-all and they were inevitably privy to the rigging that had been setup to achieve the bursting effect. However, Veronica Cartwright had not anticipated being splattered in the face by a burst of blood (neither had Ridley Scott, nor the crew). She freaked out, slipped on the blood on the floor and fell over!

• @Noname215 said: Pulp Fiction 2/10

Fuck that shit.

I never believed in God until now, because I've never heard such blasphemy. I never believed in Hell until now, because I so desperately want you to go there. [/hyperbole]

• @St_Eddie said: That's a common misconception. Naturally the actors were aware of what was about to occur, they had read the script after-all and they were inevitably privy to the rigging that had been setup to achieve the bursting effect. However, Veronica Cartwright had not anticipated being splattered in the face by a burst of blood (neither had Ridley Scott, nor the crew). She freaked out, slipped on the blood on the floor and fell over!

Of course. That was the money scene that kept Dan from being kicked to the curb.

• @St_Eddie said: That's a common misconception. Naturally the actors were aware of what was about to occur, they had read the script after-all and they were inevitably privy to the rigging that had been setup to achieve the bursting effect. However, Veronica Cartwright had not anticipated being splattered in the face by a burst of blood (neither had Ridley Scott, nor the crew). She freaked out, slipped on the blood on the floor and fell over!

Another common misconception. Here's the totally true and not made up by me story: just before filming, Scott pulled Cartwright aside and informed her that the last of the gaffer tape had been used on the Nostromo's cockpit seats. "The good news," said Ridley, "is that we finally nailed that 'beat up' look. The bad news is this banana peel is your mark now. Action!"

• @Johro said: Of course. That was the money scene that kept Dan from being kicked to the curb.

May he rest in peace. I watched a triple bill of 'Dark Star', 'Alien' and 'Return of the Living Dead' when I heard the sad news of his passing back in 2009. It's a shame that he never got to see Ridley Scott return to the series with 'Prometheus', after watching his baby being raped with 'Resurrection' and the two 'AVP' movies. :(

*waits for some stupid, obnoxious comment about Dan O'Bannon spinning in his grave, regarding 'Prometheus'*

@Johro said: Another common misconception. Here's the totally true and not made up by me story: just before filming, Scott pulled Cartwright aside and informed her that the last of the gaffer tape had been used on the Nostromo's cockpit seats. "The good news," said Ridley, "is that we finally nailed that 'beat up' look. The bad news is this banana peel is your mark now. Action!"

:p

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@St_Eddie said: There I was, thinking that 'Pulp Fiction' was a well written, directed and acted film but your wordsmith genius has convinced me otherwise. Fuck that shit indeed!

"Acted" probably. But well written and directed? You must be thinking of another director. It still is an enjoyable movie, and I indeed wouldn't give it two stars. ;)

That said, I have a thoroughly soft spot for "Jackie Brown". But that wasn't Tarantino's source material to begin with. And if I could have a version without the endless "character walks/drives/runs for two minutes while the camera looks at her/his face" scenes, I'd take it. That movie is at least half an hour two long.

(Oh GAWD now that stupid Peter Jackson hints at three Hobbit movies instead of two. Concise storytelling my butt, Hollywood idiot!!)

I bought "Inglourious basterds" recently, but haven't yet opened even the cellophane. I'm waiting for a friend to visit first... the lady and I have a history of sharing the weirdest of movies and somehow enjoying thorough disappointments, should they occur.

/edit: 1000th post in this thread, hell yeah. ;)

• The Dark Knight Rises

This movie left me pissed off and bitter.

Add Comment