User Avatar Image

The First Video Game You Ever Played?

posted by Ringed Raygun on - last edited - Viewed by 474 users

The very first one you've played -- or at least remember playing? Looking for non-kiddie stuff here -- the first REAL video game, with a dedicated story and non-educational entertainment and such?

For me, it was Starship Titanic. Funny game, great design, weird logic. I finally beat it only about a year ago after an enormous pause. This was shortly followed by Grim Fandango, which I was also clueless at. Didn't even get past the second year until I revisited it so long after my first tries at it -- and I had to be helped to even accomplish that.

Weird games for a three or four year old to play, though. X_x Hehe, to explain, they were my brother's, and I borrowed them for some . . . reason I can't remember. He's just under 10 years older than me -- probably he just showed them to me so I wouldn't bother him while he played Playstation or something.

Whenever I was done I'd play a Sesame Street thing or something. I don't know.

/life story

So what's the first non-kiddie game you remember playing? Not looking for any arguments on what really constitutes a "non-kiddie game," and you should know what I mean by that.

77 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Man, wish I could pinpoint it for certain, but probably something on the Commodore 64. Bruce Lee or Hero, maybe.

• I remember my grandmother buying me the original Rayman on the pc when I was like four, and remember that my parents told me that there was something wrong with our copy of the game because no one in my household could get past some level fairly early on in the game. I now realize that their was nothing wrong with the game, the problem was the game's brutal difficulty and no one wanted to put up with it. My parents did save the game but I wasn't able to play it until recently because of it's lack of compatibility with modern operating systems and my lack of knowledge of the existence of dosbox.

The following year I got an N64 for Christmas and got a few games along with it. I believe the games were Mario Kart 64, Toy Story 2, Pokemon Snap and Banjo Tooie; Later I got Super Mario 64 and can remember playing it every night with my dad when he got home. We played it all the way to the end, with that being said I believe he was the one who made most of the progress through out the game.

• To be honest, The Spongebob Squarepants Movie.

• @Noname215 said: To be honest, The Spongebob Squarepants Movie.

You know, sometimes I feel so depressed. When exactly did I transform from a cool young guy, into an old fart?!

• @St_Eddie said: You know, sometimes I feel so depressed. When exactly did I transform from a cool young guy, into an old fart?!

Once people become pretentious like us, they lose all optimism they may have had.

• @Secret Fawful said: Once people become pretentious like us, they lose all optimism they may have had.

My goodness Sir, you certainly know how to get to the root of the problem. Tell it like it is, why don't you?

• I'm just glad I was born in an era between generations.

Where 2D and 3D games, of various different genres and platforms were available.

I can appreciate the strengths and weaknesses of both, and simplistic graphics in either don't necessarily put me off, (Visual design > "Graphics").

Oh how it pains me to see younger people not appreciate the classics.
    (Like Castlevania, M.U.L.E, Aladdin (Gen), Super Smash Bros. ect)

I grew up with the SNES, GB, GBC, PS1, Dreamcast ect. When you think about it, all those sort of games are radically different.

EDIT: I really freakin' LOATHE it when my parents are dismissive when I get an old game.

"Oh its. Its Old. Its Old! It looks shit! Its unplayable"

^ No FUCK. YOU. Goddamn hypocrits.

You worshipped Space Invaders and Tetris, but won't give something similar the light of day?

Just because its old. Doesn't mean its crap!
    If anything a lot of old games are BETTER than newer ones.
    Hell I'd play Ninja Gaiden (NES) over FFXIII any day. ANY. DAY.

EDIT 2: I have a bit of paper with goddamn Pac-man highscores on it.
    (Shit scores. TBH. I'm not very good at pac-man! XD)

• @St_Eddie said: My goodness Sir, you certainly know how to get to the root of the problem. Tell it like it is, why don't you?

f59693227204e49ba786e1e8fb457bedd79c39d4

• @Secret Fawful said: f59693227204e49ba786e1e8fb457bedd79c39d4

*insert witty GIF response*

• @St_Eddie said: *insert witty GIF response*

How about this?

tumblr_lppvzfTBSM1qzrlhgo1_400.gif

Add Comment