User Avatar Image

Red Dwarf Series X Confirmed

posted by Sausy Gibbon on - last edited - Viewed by 820 users

I thought since Doctor Who had its own thread, I'd make one about Red Dwarf.

As of the 15th of April Doug Naylor confirmed that a new series is deffnitley in production with channel Dave. Other good news the episodes will be 30 minutes instead of 23 minutes and will be shown in a 40 minute block with ads. The broadcast is slated for September 2012.

So what do people think? Excited or hesitant? Should Holly return? Should the laugh track return? Should bunk scenes return? Will there be dillicious warm buttery toast?

97 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Darth Marsden said: Just seen it. Hopes are mildly high, held back only by my natural cynicism.

Seems like a fair assessment. Just as long as it's not as god awful as '2 Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps... in Space' series VIII, I'll be reasonably happy.

• Oh man Craig Charles is looking old. But the show's looking good, the sets look vintage!

• Ooh, looking good, really can't wait.

• @St_Eddie said: Seems like a fair assessment. Just as long as it's not as god awful as '2 Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps... in Space' series VIII, I'll be reasonably happy.

Hey now, VIII had some great bits of comedy in it, but the plots let it down. And you have to admit that the whole show started off as "The Odd Couple in Space".... I always think the funniest bits are the long sequences of dialogue between characters, especially Lister & Rimmer.

It is a pity that Back to Earth was such a disappointment. On rewatching it, I have seen some parts that could have been great, but I think the lack of an audience meant too many jokes fell flat due to either poor dialogue or poor delivery. This also was a failing (in part) of VII, although that definitely had some good scripts in it. I think X may do better, returning to a live audience.

• @Molokov said: Hey now, VIII had some great bits of comedy in it, but the plots let it down. And you have to admit that the whole show started off as "The Odd Couple in Space".... I always think the funniest bits are the long sequences of dialogue between characters, especially Lister & Rimmer.

It is a pity that Back to Earth was such a disappointment. On rewatching it, I have seen some parts that could have been great, but I think the lack of an audience meant too many jokes fell flat due to either poor dialogue or poor delivery. This also was a failing (in part) of VII, although that definitely had some good scripts in it. I think X may do better, returning to a live audience.

Hmm, personally I've always admired 'Red Dwarf' for its science-fiction elements above the broader sexual gags presented by Doug Naylor, following his split from Rob Grant. This most likely explains why I love series VII and 'Back to Earth', yet despise series VIII.

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@St_Eddie said: Red Dwarf X Teaser Trailer

I'm trying to remain emotionally detatched, but eeeee I was so smiley by the end of that!

@St_Eddie said: Oh man Craig Charles is looking old.

Kryten has aged quite well though. :p

• It's quite amusing that Lister has sent himself his own Father's Day card! :D

• no one looks as bad as chris barrie did on back to earth.. wow he looked like a well past it oap...

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

Mostly OK, with a few moments of greatness. Definitely better than Back to Earth, so yeah, worth checking out.

(Thanks for resurrecting the thread - I'd have done it myself if you hadn't!)

Add Comment