User Avatar Image

The thing that's bugged me with Telltale's Sam & Max...

posted by mre on - last edited - Viewed by 509 users

Well, I guess I'm about to write a bit of a whine post, but I hope you'll bear with me.

You see, the one thing that's really bugged me ever since the start of Season One is that I get the impression that the world of Sam & Max is not as wacky as S&M's street and the other locations they visit. I mean, while the comics (as well as the Lucasarts game) are full of jabs at New Yorkers, the American way and all kinds of kitschy Americana, the Telltale game just fails to convince me that the outrageous characters and events that we get to meet and see in S&M's adventures is really the general way of life in this fictional representation of New York City and the rest of the world.

I understand that we can't have everything since it's obviously not possible to add more than a couple of new rooms each episode given the episodic format, but still I really hope that you'll choose to make Season 3 more "down-to-Earth" than previous installments. For instance, I'd love to explore more of the surrounding blocks of NYC, or maybe we could get to drive off to a more everyday location of the U.S.

I obviously don't want you to make a new HtR, but still I must say that I loved having a game where you just visit gas stations and various tourist attractions, and thus show off Steve Purcell's truly unique take on the USA.

Just some thoughts.

28 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I have to say, that I LOVE this pomp, bringing down the American goverment, the Internet, Hell, travelling through time, though I don't know, what could happen next, that can be bigger, than season 2. I too would find it funny, if, after doing all this superhero work, in 301 S&M would have to find a missing bracelet or something trifle as that and come across funny ,down to earth' stuff on the way.

But even if in season 3 S&M conquer the universe and several parellel universes, it's fin with me, if it stays as brilliant as the second season. I give you free hand on everything Telltale, you'll work it out.

P.S. by the way, what's that green icon, I used supposed to be?

• It's a fingerprint icon for the CSI games.

• I think Mre has hit upon a great idea for season 3. I too find the games too quick to get to exotic locations rather than laugh at the idiosyncrasies of the American culture.

Mr Purcell's comic and ideology is one of arresting silence in comedy. The attention paid to dialog and setup with an unsuspected apex, as quoted from Bad Day on the Moon, "Sam: It's a giant moon roach coffee shop. It's uncanny, like some earth parallel development; Max: I never dreamed I'd live long enough to hear you say earth parallel development and mean it, Sam", contrasts the complex build up of description, to Max's simple outlook on the situation. This sort of thing happens all throughout the comic series and in the original HtR game.

I remember reading about Purcell's outlook on Sam & Max, and how it is a spoof on the usual detective comic scenario. There's such a great buildup over the the detailing of the dialogue, not just to parody the situation at hand, but to cut it down and bring it to an arresting hault. Pair that ideology with the American culture, and have the Max quips reflect society's actual covering up of those ideologies. I quote from chapter 3 of On The Road: "Sam: I think he said to come back later. Let's go wander through the new mall for a while. Max: Oboy! We can look at everyone we're glad we aren't"

In conclusion, I really think mRe's statement is completely right, but we shouldn't entirely focus on the local of the area being the underlying argument, it should be the reflection of the characters to the environment. In more of a Purcell-like fashion, trying to capture that, as well as bring something just as original and funny from the creators.

Great suggestions!

• User Avatar Image
    mre

@Edgy_McSpoon said: I think Mre has hit upon a great idea for season 3. I too find the games too quick to get to exotic locations rather than laugh at the idiosyncrasies of the American culture.

Mr Purcell's comic and ideology is one of arresting silence in comedy. The attention paid to dialog and setup with an unsuspected apex, as quoted from Bad Day on the Moon, "Sam: It's a giant moon roach coffee shop. It's uncanny, like some earth parallel development; Max: I never dreamed I'd live long enough to hear you say earth parallel development and mean it, Sam", contrasts the complex build up of description, to Max's simple outlook on the situation. This sort of thing happens all throughout the comic series and in the original HtR game.

I remember reading about Purcell's outlook on Sam & Max, and how it is a spoof on the usual detective comic scenario. There's such a great buildup over the the detailing of the dialogue, not just to parody the situation at hand, but to cut it down and bring it to an arresting hault. Pair that ideology with the American culture, and have the Max quips reflect society's actual covering up of those ideologies. I quote from chapter 3 of On The Road: "Sam: I think he said to come back later. Let's go wander through the new mall for a while. Max: Oboy! We can look at everyone we're glad we aren't"

In conclusion, I really think mRe's statement is completely right, but we shouldn't entirely focus on the local of the area being the underlying argument, it should be the reflection of the characters to the environment. In more of a Purcell-like fashion, trying to capture that, as well as bring something just as original and funny from the creators.

Great suggestions!

I'm simultaneously proud and freaked to have sparked something of an academic discussion on the good ol' forums. And yes, I fully agree that the location isn't as important as the ongoing dialogue between S&M and their approach to different social situations. Not sure if I follow your thoghts on Purcell's 'ideology' though.

On a different note,

@Edgy_McSpoon said: ... MRe ...

@Edgy_McSpoon said: ... Mre ...
    ... mRe ...

Forum Contest: In how many wrong ways can you write my screen name? ;)

• oo oo! mrE, mRE, MrE, and MRE!

• You forgot a few...

/\/\RE /\/\re /\/\Re /\/\rE /\/\R3 /\/\r3

• Another vote for absurd, taken-as-normality, gritty Americana satire.

Besides, space is the extreme limit in one direction and Hell in the other (or so they told me in Bible class). They've been to both, now it's time to explore home!

• User Avatar Image
    mre

@Ashton said: You forgot a few...

/\/\RE /\/\re /\/\Re /\/\rE /\/\R3 /\/\r3

I guess I shouldn't participate in my own contest, but still... I have a European keyboard.

mr€

Beat that.

• User Avatar Image
    Jai

Well, I think I get what mŗé is saying, now. My stance has shifted only slightly, however, to reflect the vague urge to urinate that I'm now feeling.

Add Comment