User Avatar Image

RUMOR: Nintendo is attemping to buy back Rare from Microsoft

posted by Leplaya on - last edited - Viewed by 1.1K users

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/comments/rumor-nintendo-attempting-to-negotiate-its-way-into-ownership-of-banjo-and

Found this last night. I hope to god that this rumor is true. If it is, it wouldve took Nintendo 10 years to realize that Microsoft is messing up bigtime with Rare. So if Nintendo gets Rare back, it would be a freaking dream come true. :)

35 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • OK. Let's have a look at Rare's output since being acquired by Microsoft.

    Grabbed by the Ghoulies - Meh.
    Saber Wulf - Meh.
    Banjo Pilot - Not bad for a GBA game.
    It's Mr Pants - Actually pretty good!
    Conker: Live and Reloaded - Single player doesn't count due to being a remake, multiplayer sucked.
    Kameo: Elements of Power - Meh.
    Perfect Dark Zero - Meh single-player, broken multiplayer.
    Viva Piñata - Pretty good, actually.
    Diddy Kong Racing DS - Remake, all points invalidated.
    Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise - Still pretty good.
    Viva Piñata: Pocket Paradise - Not bad.
    Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts - Aside from the fact IT'S NOT A BANJO-KAZOOIE GAME, it was OK.
    Kinect Sports - Wait, that was Rare? Ugh.

    OK, so they've not exactly become terrible, but they should be doing SO much better. It's hard not to be disappointed in them given where they came from and what they achieved.

  • @Darth Marsden said:
    Grabbed by the Ghoulies - Good.
    Saber Wulf - Meh.
    Banjo Pilot - Not bad for a GBA game.
    It's Mr Pants - Actually pretty good!
    Conker: Live and Reloaded - Fabulous.
    Kameo: Elements of Power - Fabulous.
    Perfect Dark Zero - Meh single-player, broken multiplayer.
    Viva Piñata - Pretty good, actually
    Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise - Still pretty good.
    Viva Piñata: Pocket Paradise - Not bad.
    Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts - Fabulous.
    Kinect Sports - Wait, that was Rare? Ugh.

    My opinion within.

  • @Darth Marsden said: OK. Let's have a look at Rare's output since being acquired by Microsoft.

    Grabbed by the Ghoulies - Meh.
    Saber Wulf - Meh.
    Banjo Pilot - Not bad for a GBA game.
    It's Mr Pants - Actually pretty good!
    Conker: Live and Reloaded - Single player doesn't count due to being a remake, multiplayer sucked.
    Kameo: Elements of Power - Meh.
    Perfect Dark Zero - Meh single-player, broken multiplayer.
    Viva Piñata - Pretty good, actually.
    Diddy Kong Racing DS - Remake, all points invalidated.
    Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise - Still pretty good.
    Viva Piñata: Pocket Paradise - Not bad.
    Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts - Aside from the fact IT'S NOT A BANJO-KAZOOIE GAME, it was OK.
    Kinect Sports - Wait, that was Rare? Ugh.

    OK, so they've not exactly become terrible, but they should be doing SO much better. It's hard not to be disappointed in them given where they came from and what they achieved.

    Pretty much got it in one.
    But I will say I liked Nuts and Bolts alot (played it all the way up to the final challenges, but I found them a bit too hard). I wish they had expanded upon that.
    (Like a DLC expansion, or a sequel)

  • I would have liked Nuts and Bolts...

    IF IT DIDN'T HAVE THESE RING-SHAPED SCRATCHES!!!

    Stupid second-hand junk bought on some yard sale during Queens Day.

  • @RetroVortex said: But I will say I liked Nuts and Bolts alot (played it all the way up to the final challenges, but I found them a bit too hard). I wish they had expanded upon that.
    (Like a DLC expansion, or a sequel)

    Yeah, LOGs Lost Challenges wasn't exactly brilliant.

  • The only reason this could be a good move is for the IP. Rare have completely lost everything that made them what they were. Perfect Dark Zero and Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts weren't just disappointments, they are downright terrible. And I disagree that Nuts & Bolts is all right if you don't think of it as a Banjo game. It's an absolute mess. The story is atrocious, the driving is clunky and terrible, the car building is time-consuming and unforgiving, and it's hard to drive anywhere without getting completely overloaded with all kinds of needless crap on the screen.

    I would get behind a Retro-made Banjo Kazooie game, if it were true, but at this point it's just an unsubstantiated rumour. I mean the article suggests that Retro are deep into development on a BK game but Nintendo hasn't secured the rights for the IP yet? That doesn't make any lick of sense. If Microsoft were to back out all that development time would have been wasted. This all sounds like wishful thinking to me.

  • @Darth Marsden said: OK. Let's have a look at Rare's output since being acquired by Microsoft.

    Grabbed by the Ghoulies - Meh.
    Saber Wulf - Meh.
    Banjo Pilot - Not bad for a GBA game.
    It's Mr Pants - Actually pretty good!
    Conker: Live and Reloaded - Single player doesn't count due to being a remake, multiplayer sucked.
    Kameo: Elements of Power - Meh.
    Perfect Dark Zero - Meh single-player, broken multiplayer.
    Viva Piñata - Pretty good, actually.
    Diddy Kong Racing DS - Remake, all points invalidated.
    Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise - Still pretty good.
    Viva Piñata: Pocket Paradise - Not bad.
    Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts - Aside from the fact IT'S NOT A BANJO-KAZOOIE GAME, it was OK.
    Kinect Sports - Wait, that was Rare? Ugh.

    OK, so they've not exactly become terrible, but they should be doing SO much better. It's hard not to be disappointed in them given where they came from and what they achieved.

    This, combined with the fact that most of their real talent actually left BEFORE the Microsoft buyout - during the departure of Doak - leads me to believe that RARE was just on the way out anyway. The Stampers leaving was really just the epitaph of a long, drawn out decline.

  • @Comrade Pants said: This, combined with the fact that most of their real talent actually left BEFORE the Microsoft buyout - during the departure of Doak - leads me to believe that RARE was just on the way out anyway. The Stampers leaving was really just the epitaph of a long, drawn out decline.

    Oh shut up. Shut up. Just shut up.

  • @Secret Fawful said: Oh shut up. Shut up. Just shut up.

    You know it to be true. Search your feelings.

  • For what it is worth, I completely agree with Comrade Pants.

Add Comment