User Avatar Image

Meat Locker Dilemma

posted by Gregory2012 on - last edited - Viewed by 4.1K users

I, like most players, initially sided with Lilly in trying to resuscitate Larry. In retrospect, I may have made the wrong call.

Initially, I understood Kenny’s concern about zombie Larry, but back at the motor inn, the injured body brought in did not turn undead until several minutes later. I thought I had time to save Larry. If I couldn’t save him in say, two minutes, then I would advocate using the salt lick to crush his skull, but Kenny made a rushed judgment.

However, I may have been wrong. The injured body was being treated by Katjaa. She could have prolonged the person’s life. So instead of minutes of trying to resuscitate Larry, I could have had only seconds.

I thought if Larry turned zombie that we would notice, but when Katjaa was attacked, she didn’t say afterward that the skin around his eyeballs suddenly darkened, so he looked undead. The injured body became undead without Katjaa noticing despite her close examination of him.

Assume for the sake of argument, that the injured body, was untreated by Katjaa, and became undead in two minutes.

Does that mean everyone becomes undead in two minutes? Not necessarily. That could be the minimum time or maximum time for the dead-to-undead process to occur. You don’t know. With that uncertainty, do you risk trying to resuscitate Larry? I reluctantly conclude Kenny made the right decision.

I could still be wrong because I am overlooking an important factor. If so, tell me.

Two unrelated points:

1. I will play the campaign with my initial decision of siding with Lilly.

2. Kenny is hard to please. I redid Episode 1 and Episode 2 to closer ally myself with Kenny, except for the meat locker dilemma. I helped rescue Duck, sided with Kenny in the pharmacy, gave Duck a snack, supported Kenny’s boat plan, fed both Duck and Kenny at the motor inn, and mostly agreed with him on everything else, except the argument about Lilly being a dictator (that was exaggerated and I think she was right about being called a Nazi when survival became tougher). When walking to the abandoned car, I gave him the gentlest response: he fractured the group. Despite my near constant agreement with him, in the Long Road Ahead preview, he says I never listened to him. I don’t hate Kenny, but if all my prior support isn’t reciprocated in Episode 3, I may dump him as an ally.

106 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I had Kenny's back almost the whole way up to the meat locker, even sided with him on the Larry issue. I don't know why I thought it would be "cleaner" so to speak, because I forgot we had any real weapons. But holy crud, that look on both Lee's and Kenny's face after he did it... I think Kenny feels bad for that, as he looks to Lee for support after the leaving the dairy, but I can't side with someone who makes choices like that so quickly, even if he IS right, or DOES feel bad about it after.

• I sided with Kenny on the Larry thing because of one main reason: there was nothing I could have done to save the guy. My brother is an EMT, and he was watching me play The Walking Dead; as soon as Larry hit the ground, my brother said he was dead. I asked how he knew, and my brother said even if Larry wasn't dead from the heart attack, he would have died after a few minutes. CPR doesn't nothing when it comes to a heart attack, Larry didn't have his heart attack pills on him, and there wasn't anything in the room I could have used as a makeshift defibrillator. No matter what, unless Jesus descended down and brought Larry back to life, Larry was not going to make it.

That's the cold hard fact; Larry was not going to make it. It was better to put him out of his misery and prevent a zombie from being spawned, even if Lilly didn't like it.

• @jaybreezy said: And there's another difference. In my game, I sided with Kenny so he came to my rescue and Lilly left me hanging so I could say the same thing you just said, only about Lilly.

What did you expect when you brutally "murdered" the only family member she had left in her life?? That is a bit different than Kenny leaving you hanging for not murdering Larry for him.

• @boxman said: What did you expect when you brutally "murdered" the only family member she had left in her life?? That is a bit different than Kenny leaving you hanging for not murdering Larry for him.

Technically, one could argue it was a mercy killing, considering in actual medical terms there was no way anyone in the meat locker could have brought Larry into a stable state, thus saving him. It sucks, but Larry was not going to survive (unless he had his heart attack pills, or Lee pulled out a defibrillator from his back pocket). Pumping his chest (Lilly's plan), might keep his heart pumping blood, but it is not going to save Larry from his heart attack; Lilly was only delaying the inevitable (as soon as she stopped pumping Larry's chest, his heart would have stopped, ending his life (also, pumping his chest is not going to help Larry regain consciousnesses)).

• I think that in the Meat Locker, Kenny had made the right decision to kill Larry, even though I had sided with Lilly. But the problem about Kenny is that if you disagree with his opinion he is all over your ass. I sided with Kenny in every argument, I gave his family the food back at the motor inn, and I saved Duck at Hershel's farm. So when I sided with Lilly in the meat locker, I thought Kenny would forgive me since I had always had his back. But in the preview for Episode 3: "Long Road Ahead" Kenny treated Lee like a piece of sh*t. I have advice for people just starting the game: Either side with Kenny on EVERYTHING, or don't side with him at all...

• One think i'm wondering is that if it was Duck or Kat in place of Larry what would Kenny do. This goes the same to Larry and Lilly because while i think Lilly might be against doing what Kenny did to Larry to ether of them. After episode one i think Larry would be for using the salt lick on them. But i think we all know that Kenny would be like to Lee ''LEE HELP ME SAVE DUCK OR KAT!!''.

• @HyperShot12 said: I think that in the Meat Locker, Kenny had made the right decision to kill Larry, even though I had sided with Lilly. But the problem about Kenny is that if you disagree with his opinion he is all over your ass. I sided with Kenny in every argument, I gave his family the food back at the motor inn, and I saved Duck at Hershel's farm. So when I sided with Lilly in the meat locker, I thought Kenny would forgive me since I had always had his back. But in the preview for Episode 3: "Long Road Ahead" Kenny treated Lee like a piece of sh*t. I have advice for people just starting the game: Either side with Kenny on EVERYTHING, or don't side with him at all...

I played that exact type of playthrough and I didn't get that impression from the preview at all. The most Kenny says is "Hell, like you listen to ME anymore...". It's clear there has been "fallout", just like he says on the walk back to the motor inn.

Also, Kenny appears to be remorseful on the way back, and turning to Lee for advice/consolation. The only remarks Lee can make are condescending, the least of which is telling Kenny that "he is not a bad man". No matter what, Lee condemns the act if you side with Lilly. There is no "I tried to help but you were right" type of conversation with Kenny. So I really don't blame him for not "forgiving" Lee.

Also, the most important piece, the previews are NOT set in stone. There were entire conversations in the episode two preview that were not present in episode two at all (like Doug or Carley giving you the candy bar). They're really there to give you a bit of a "taste" of what's coming up in the next episode.

• I killed him. He had a heart attack, apparently had no medicine for it, and we had nothing resembling medical equipment. His chances of revival were basically zero anyway.

• I was pretty annoyed at:
    1. Kenny having a go at me when I tried to help Larry
    2. When I was attacked by Danny and Kenny just sat there.
    3. I was annoyed that I couldn't smooth things over with Kenny later.

But, thinking about it I think all these things make sense.

1. Kenny may or may not have taken a man's life and he desperately needs someone to support his decision. When his only real friend in this place looks down on him he becomes very upset and angry not just with lee but also himself.

2. Kenny only sticks his neck out for those he feels he can trust (e.g. Duck over Shawn and going back for Lee at the drug store). He feels he can rely on Lee and when he doesn't support his traumatizing decision then he starts to lose his faith in Lee.

3. I wanted to be be nice to Kenny but Lee didn't. In that situation I would have tried to make things up to Kenny. But, it's not me in that situation it's Lee. Sure you can influence Lee's choices, but all in all Lee's a seperate person and he wouldn't make a choice and then five minutes later suddenly try to apologise for it.

All in all I hope there's a way to make things up to Kenny - but I dobut it'll happen unless you save him and/or his family from certain death. And this is the Walking Dead - let's face it things can only get worse.

• I have to say that those of you who chose to help Lily with saving Larry made excellent points for your reasons and I cannot argue against your decisions.

That said, I sided with Kenny as he killed Larry. I had in the back of my mind the history of Lee-Larry and knew I'd probably have to make a decision regarding Larry's life one way or another. When the scenario arose that we'd have a "6-foot 300-pound angry dead man" locked in that meat freezer with us, I freaked out. Fearing for the safety of Clem, I reluctantly (although quickly) chose to allow Kenny to take Larry out. It was probably the hardest choice I've made playing thus far. I tried to smooth things over with Lily because I still think my choice was for the better of all who were locked inside...

Talk about intense drama!

My only other thought on the matter is this: If we're locked inside a meat locker, why is the air conditioning unit on the inside of the locker instead of on the outside?! Think about how a window AC unit operates in your own home and how that relates to our scenario. ;) I did fear for putting Clem through that duct, and the suspense was incredible.

Peace, y'all--- and enjoy your game! :cool:

Add Comment