User Avatar Image

Rate The Last Movie(s) You Watched

posted by Secret Fawful on - last edited - Viewed by 10.4K users

Same as the Rate the Last Game You Finished topic but with movies. There should be more film talk around here. So, I'll start off with the movies I've seen in the past few days.

Law-Abiding Citizen - 5.5/11

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World - 7/11

Sword of the Stranger - 9/11

Blade Runner: Final Cut - 11/11

Blade Runner is one of those films I want to love but also want to hate.

1.8K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Found this review on the Odeon website for the Lorax and had to share it:

[quote=i like it]i want with my 2 kids mostly boring movie ever seen not good. 2 Stars [/quote]

• It occurs to me that the internet is filled with people who like to complain. People complain about Roland Emmerich's movies, but I like Stargate, Independence Day, The Thirteenth Floor and The Patriot. People complain about Star Trek 2009, but I love it.

I'm not saying people can't have opinions which differ from mine. I'm really saying that people on the internet complain too much, and that I plan on watching The Amazing Spider-Man without my opinion being skewed by complainers on these forums.

However, I'm not going to pay $9 per ticket to go see it.

• The Lorax

Actually I'm going to give this film a lot of credit.
    The 3D effects are great, the visual design is pretty clever and still kinda close to the source material.
    And what I like about the story and the characters is that they stay consistent to the source, but also add that little extra.

The musical numbers kinda whiff, but a couple of them are actually pretty good.

Its definately NOT an action kids film, which is where the complaints I see come from.
    I actually like it FOR that reason. Its a slower film, but its intentional because it makes the impact of the story's darker elements stronger.

Greed and Naivety are very strong themes in the story, and are very prevalent both in the present and the past side to the story, and it is nice to see how they play that parallel to good effect.

Of course the film is a little lacking in places. The Lorax in particular is kind of sidelined here and there, but the parts we see of him, are great.

As for humour, the film actually caught me off guard a few times, and its pretty rare for me to chuckle sadly!

Its mostly slapstick rather than clever dialogue, but thats not exactly a bad thing, especially for a film aimed at children.

Overall, I think its worth a watch. Definately the best of the Dr. Seuss adaptions.

7.5/10

EDIT: (I do like how it adds onto the original story. Sure its a little over-optimistic, but the message is still pretty clear and consistent. Its like someone saying to Dr.Seuss that since that time, people have changed, people have begun to care, its small change sure, but its still significant)

• Grindhouse

91M0WsJL9AL._AA500_.jpg

Planet Terror (Grindhouse cut)

Well I already stated that I really love Planet Terror. The version in the Grindhouse double featuretakes it to another level though. Finally I get the Machete trailer on DVD and the cut in this pack is quite a bit better. 10/10

Death Proof Grindhouse cut

Well I had given up on this film after only knowing the extended cut until now but yet again the Grindhouse cut improves quite a lot. The first part no longer drags on for far too long but I didn't like that they cut out the lap dance after building it up twice in the movie. Better keep that one in and cut some other bullshit out. The second half of the movie is unbelieveably good in this version and the additional fake trailers before the movie were a lot of fun too. I don't regret buying this DVD after owning the extended cuts for both movies.
    I might never watch the longer version of Planet Terror again but I am 100% sure that I never need to see the longer version of Death Proof ever again.
    Death Proof Extended cut: 6/10
    Death Proof Grindhouse cut: 8/10

• @Chyron8472 said: It occurs to me that the internet is filled with people who like to complain. People complain about Roland Emmerich's movies, but I like Stargate, Independence Day, The Thirteenth Floor and The Patriot. People complain about Star Trek 2009, but I love it.

I'm not saying people can't have opinions which differ from mine. I'm really saying that people on the internet complain too much, and that I plan on watching The Amazing Spider-Man without my opinion being skewed by complainers on these forums.

However, I'm not going to pay $9 per ticket to go see it.

Disliking a movie for its faults = complaining. With that attitude, I don't think you should be reading this thread period.

• But it seems that people people complain enough about things on the net that it at some point becomes less about disliking something (as said people must have very little indeed that they do like) but more like they're disgruntled in general and so want something to gripe about, which compounds when they encounter other people who don't mind joining in.

...on the other hand, there are truly horrible movies. I once attempted to watch Epic Movie online, but I had to stop watching within the first 15 minutes, it was so unwatchably awful. I'm not ranting--I really did feel myself getting dumber while watching it.

• Well, I can agree that cynicism, especially on my own part, makes me more critical. But also, the more good movies you see, the harder it becomes to go back to the bad ones.

• @coolsome said: The film makers took all the love from Spiderman and threw it down the well.

Spiderman falling way down to number 29.

• Spiderman wasn't that bad. They did a pretty good job developing the characters, moreso than the first spiderman film. The only thing I really disliked was the Lizard. He's unbelievably bland and managed to be an even worse villain than Venom. He got nothing on Doc Ock.

Add Comment