User Avatar Image

Another LucasArts President steps down

posted by Secret Fawful on - last edited - Viewed by 1.3K users

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/08/02/lucasarts-president-steps-down-2

LucasArts has just announced that President Paul Meegan has decided to step down from his position at the company. Mich Chau, President and Chief Operating Officer for Lucasfilm had the following to say:

Paul has been a valuable member of the Lucasfilm leadership team and we wish him the best in his future endeavors. We remain committed to our current projects and will be re-evaluating LucasArts’ leadership needs to ensure that we make the right decisions to keep the studio focused.

Hope restored?

68 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

If they even ATTEMPT a new franchise, I'd applaud heartily. However it turns out. As a game maker, LucasArts has reverted to being a baby. And that baby certainly is not housebroken.

Before LA can grow as a game maker again, I would expect they'll have to spread a lot of shit first. But they were lacking even this apart from their recent Mass Effect cloning efforts. :D

No, honestly, go LucasArts. We might laugh about those efforts for another decade still, but EFFORT is the key phrase here. "Lend out Star Wars license and get 30% off the top" is not a business model that even needs a company name.

• Now's your chance, GOG. Go in there, and get me TIE Fighter!

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

TIE Fighter, eh? I say GOG get in there and get me 1313.

• You can have 1213, if that's any good to you.

• Sad to see LucasArts go down the drain. Beginning of the end was late 90s, when marketing people said adventure games will not make the maximum short term profit, and LA should concentrate on Star Wars titles. Which led to niche audience, and reduced the innovation (Star Wars will sell because it's Star Wars, no need to innovate and attract people not interested in SW titles). As LA went this path, the main focus was on short term profit. Niche market, no innovation, and the inability to attract new audience led to shrinking profits and the need to fire talented people. The burden of this conduct has been laid on shoulders of every new CEO, and they has faced an impossible task: do everything the way LA is used to in this century, but make LA profitable. Which - short term - has meant firing more people, and shut down projects. If nothing radical will happen, this culture will result of everlasting cuts, and eventual death of LucasArts. Just my 2¢, but this is the how I have perceived the last 15 years of LA.

• Im so tired and upset of Lucas Arts, i enjoyed Star Wars liked the lore and story behind it, but i think people are tired and really thinking that the Star Wars franchise is being worked in the wrong hands. I personally im so tired of Star Wars games and them relegating adventure franchise. Their creative department suck and they are not even creating new titles.

They need to revive their adventure department and keep creating new games outside the Star Wars franchise.

• @Everlast said: Im so tired and upset of Lucas Arts, i enjoyed Star Wars liked the lore and story behind it, but i think people are tired and really thinking that the Star Wars franchise is being worked in the wrong hands. I personally im so tired of Star Wars games and them relegating adventure franchise. Their creative department suck and they are not even creating new titles.

They need to revive their adventure department and keep creating new games outside the Star Wars franchise.

That's probably never going to happen. The best we can hope for is that the new guy will strike up a deal with GOG to get some of their game archives back in circulation.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

I doubt LucasArts will ever be open to releasing their games digitally without any form of DRM.

There's always Steam though. It would be nice to have more classic LucasArts games available than the handful that are there now.

• User Avatar Image
    Syd

@Jennifer said: I doubt LucasArts will ever be open to releasing their games digitally without any form of DRM.

There's always Steam though. It would be nice to have more classic LucasArts games available than the handful that are there now.

When Loom, The Dig, and Indiana Jones popped up on Steam, it looked like they were gearing up to re-release their old adventure catalog (Save for MI1 and MI2, since they'd most likely want to push copies of the SE versions), but then they just... stopped. They could be waiting for 20th anniversaries to try to sell more titles, or perhaps they just decided that they'd rather sit on them some more. It's hard to tell with LucasArts.

• @Syd said: When Loom, The Dig, and Indiana Jones popped up on Steam, it looked like they were gearing up to re-release their old adventure catalog (Save for MI1 and MI2, since they'd most likely want to push copies of the SE versions), but then they just... stopped. They could be waiting for 20th anniversaries to try to sell more titles, or perhaps they just decided that they'd rather sit on them some more. It's hard to tell with LucasArts.

I think we can safely blame Paul Meegan for that. It sounds like every new president kills the pet projects of the last president.

Add Comment