User Avatar Image

The Kickstarter thread

posted by Darth Marsden on - last edited - Viewed by 9.4K users

Since there's probably going to be a fair few Kickstarter projects that aren't done by Tim Schafer, I thought it might be nice to start a separate thread for all the little games on Kickstarter that don't get as much exposure.

For example: Feeble's Fable: The Legend of Runes by Atomic Chimp Games. Another point-and-click adventure game, but this one is going for more of a cute and charming feel. It definitely looks interesting, though they've nowhere near the backing they need. :(

And another: Americana Dawn by one guy, Max K. Lambert. It's a freeware retro-styled RPG about the French & Indian War and the American War for Independence. Kickstarter page is a little bare (he doesn't actually say what he needs the money for, for one), but it looks like an awesome game.

So let's see what other Kickstarter projects you think is worth shining a little light on!

1.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I've seen it advertised all over facebook lately. They're trying.

• I AM BIG BIRD is also struggling. I wish they would do some actual advertisement because I'm sure there are a ton of Muppet fans who would get behind this.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Somehow I have nothing against Shadowrun Online's struggle.

The whole idea struck me as a bit too oportunistic, making a Kickstarter right after the raging success of Shadowrun Returns, but by a completely different company. MMO also doesn't tickle my fancy, and immediately I hear "but there's a single player campaign also!". Well, that's what SR:R is for already.

• Project Giana is looking very good right now, they've pretty much done most of the hard work so they can show off this pretty amazing visual style the game has.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

What they're attempting with the soundtrack makes my heart go bump. Chris Hülsbeck (original composer) vs. Machinae Supremacy (of Jets'N'Guns fame), that will be quite something.

Alas, where's my PayPal option... ??

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

Kickstarter does not use Paypal. You've had plenty of time to get used to the fact. But hey, here's the next best thing.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

There's no fake credit cards and stuff for me these days. I'll either support this via Paypal as soon as they'll provide the opportunity; or I will buy the final version provided there's no DRM. Heck, these guys are even in the same country as I am. They'll find a way to get my money without any hassle for me. :p

/edit: Huh, what do you say to that. Just got confirmation in the official forum that they'll try to offer exactly that. Hope they'll get to that 150.000 bucks soon. But it's looking swell at the moment. ;)

• @Vainamoinen said: Jack Houston could need a bit of a push right now. :(

Yeah we have 4 days to go and only need a little over $5k to fund it. So if you've been thinking about pledging but haven't yet, now's the time!

• @tobar said: Yeah we have 4 days to go and only need a little over $5k to fund it. So if you've been thinking about pledging but haven't yet, now's the time!

This is getting nail bitingly exciting, I really hope this makes it!!

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

I just saw that Bottom of the Ninth is now on Kickstarter..

BotN is an animated future baseball graphic novel for portable Apple devices - so I have nothing to do with it in the first place - but it really looked interesting judging from the videos, and I was a good bit disappointed that it wasn't available to me when the first issue came out.

NOW it's on kickstarter for issue 2. I feel the pain of every comic maker around the globe, the insecurity whether the project will ever be completed, but I feel a bit pissed how this went down. People were paying four bucks for the issue one app (16 pages), and while this first issue is FREE right now, they're supposed to pay a lot more to ever see the story completed. Creator Ryan Woodward obviously feels for these people and offers the 25$ tier reward (a printed admit one ticket to his fictitious future baseball game) to anyone who bought this issue at the price. It's a nice move, but truth remains: The author is asking previous buyers to pay far more to see his story finished.

Issue 1 was self funded and unfortunately, that well dried up. So that's where kickstarter comes in and allows me to reach out to the fan base and other generous givers. I had several people try to convince me to do kickstarter from the beginning of issue 1. But I felt that before I ask anyone for a dime, I wanted to demonstrate to the public proof of quality, productivity and above all—that I can finish and deliver.

I'm all for kickstarter projects, but ultimately, one's work must sell well enough to support itself. Bottom of the Ninth ep 1 was an Apple app (!!), and received quite positive reviews. Where did the money from this obvious success go and why can't it fund AT LEAST the second episode? The author is expecting that the later episodes WILL fund themselves due to rising popularity - which of course means that those later episodes will be everything besides free, and especially the kickstarter helpers will pay yet again to get these apps one by one.

Add Comment