User Avatar Image

ITT: We discuss anime. AKA, the weaboo thread.

posted by Comrade Pants on - last edited - Viewed by 787 users

I didn't notice a thread directly related to anime general, so I thought I'd create one. What's the last anime you people watched and what did you think of it? For me, it was...

vtRj8.jpg

Horrifying, disturbing, enthralling. I don't recommend it to anyone with a weak stomach by any stretch of the imagination, but if you can handle, say, Tokyo Gore Police or something, then I recommend it.

The last broadly recommendable anime I saw, of course, is the ever enjoyable...

zlNRg.jpg

Tatami Galaxy.

visceral, fast paced, surreal. The things this anime gets right are legion and far too numerous to list in their entirety, but the art and story certainly stand out. To say that it's the best anime of the past five years is damning it with faint praise. It's really of sufficient quality to match the depth and craftsmanship of some of the 90's higher quality anime.

Go, my fellow weebs!

63 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Rather Dashing said: XHt4Y.gif

5960%20-%20animated_gif%20fist_of_the_no

We should get back to anime though, unless we want the modshtappo to lock us.

• @Comrade Mortis said: NYAWWWWWL. Snuggle bear, you are the bestest.
    <3333333333
    In related news, you're also kawaii as shit bro.

Personally, I think you're both kowaii.

Yes, that Japanese class has finally paid off!

• User Avatar Image
    divisionten Moderator

Ohai.

Getting back on topic, I've heard good things about both Panty and Stocking and Tiger And Bunny. Reccomendations?

• @Comrade Pants said: We should get back to anime though, unless we want the modshtappo to lock us.

Dude, that IS anime.

Do you not recognize Kemonozume when you see it?

@Comrade Pants said: Ohai.

Getting back on topic, I've heard good things about both Panty and Stocking and Tiger And Bunny. Reccomendations?
    Tiger and Bunny is entirely alien to me, but Panty and Stocking gets my vote of confidence.

The show's genesis is actually in a company-wide booze-fest following the wrap-up of a major production(I think Gurren Lagann?), and it shows. The whole show is an eclectic mix of things that you'd expect to get if you put a bunch of drunk animators in a room and had them bounce ideas off each other. The show is a Japanese-produced homage to North American cartoons of the 90s, pumped with parody, irreverence, and crude humor. The show just goes nuts visually and the movement in it is something to behold. The bombastic and crude exterior actually is just a facade to a very smartly funny show, with things like the iconic "stripper pole" sequence actually being a very spot-on parody of magical girl transformation sequences.

Thumbs up, four stars, A++, highly recommend, etc, etc.

• Booze was involved. I'm treaty bound to endorse it.

• I watched Elfen Lied not long ago. Thought it was horrible.

• Anyone here watch Eden of the East? Imo besides FMA:Brotherhood, one of the best anime I have seen in years. What would you do if you were given 10 billion yen and save a country with it?

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

@DAISHI said: I watched Elfen Lied not long ago. Thought it was horrible.

It's a good story, but it's also unbelievably violent. That poor puppy...

@DAISHI said: Anyone here watch Eden of the East? Imo besides FMA:Brotherhood, one of the best anime I have seen in years. What would you do if you were given 10 billion yen and save a country with it?It's on my to-watch list. I've heard good things though.

• @Zeruis said: Anyone here watch Eden of the East? Imo besides FMA:Brotherhood, one of the best anime I have seen in years. What would you do if you were given 10 billion yen and save a country with it?

My problem with EOE is you have to progress to the movies due to the incomPletion of the anime. And not just one movie. But I liked the concept.

Add Comment