User Avatar Image

Another LucasArts President steps down

posted by Secret Fawful on - last edited - Viewed by 1.3K users

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/08/02/lucasarts-president-steps-down-2

LucasArts has just announced that President Paul Meegan has decided to step down from his position at the company. Mich Chau, President and Chief Operating Officer for Lucasfilm had the following to say:

Paul has been a valuable member of the Lucasfilm leadership team and we wish him the best in his future endeavors. We remain committed to our current projects and will be re-evaluating LucasArts’ leadership needs to ensure that we make the right decisions to keep the studio focused.

Hope restored?

68 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

It's time for LucasArts 3.0. LucasArts 2.0 was created when Jim Ward came in during what was seen as the company's darkest period and restructured everything, cancelled tons of projects, fired a large amount of employees, changed the direction of the company, and spent millions of dollars to try to turn things around.

The thing is, it didn't work. Things are much worse off now than they were in the early 2000's when Jim Ward changed everything. They only publish two games a year, and rarely make any internally developed titles. On top of that, they spend millions of dollars licensing technology for their internal development (Euphoria, Unreal Engine 3), but with so little being done internally there's no way they aren't hemorrhaging money.

Someone needs to come in and assess the situation like Jim Ward did, but come to a different conclusion. The licensing of Star Wars and Indiana Jones comes from Lucasfilm licensing, so LucasArts isn't useful for that. As a publisher, LucasArts isn't too useful either. There's no reason Lucasfilm can't just turn LucasArts into a mere label and publish Star Wars games themselves. If they want to continue being a developer, they really need to look back at worked for the golden age LucasArts/Lucasfilm Games, mainly keeping the film and game division separate entities. Having LucasArts work as a shovelware developer for Lucasfilm just isn't working out for them.

• @Shadowknight1 said: I say get someone in there that remembers the heyday of LA's Star Wars games. Rogue Squadron. Battlefront. Great games dang it.

I'd say their heyday was before Battlefront – they started going downhill in my eyes after the releases of Grim Fandango and X Wing Alliance and while Escape from Monkey Island is derided a bit by fans, I thought it still had some pretty funny bits in it.

A revival is pretty much impossible – at the end of the day they’re a business that needs to make money and Star Wars is a licence to print money. The one hope for classic series like Monkey Island are the likes of Telltale being given the licence, which seems like a no-brainer to me. Why be so precious about holding onto them if you’ve got talented developers ready to use them and earn you a commission? That said, there have been rumours of a new entry to the X Wing series which excites me as they are amongst my favourite games ever, but I’m also pretty confident that it wouldn’t be faithful to the originals in terms of gameplay and would take place in the awful prequel timeline (or at best between III & IV). I’m old-school and think Star Wars was pretty much ruined by the new films and a lot of the extended Universe.

One thought I’ve had though is, surely there’s enough of a market out there for adventure games to make it a worthwhile pursuit for someone, and with todays technology I’d imagine that doing a quality 2D adventure game would be quick and cheap. You see single people do great things using Flash, so imagine what a team of a dozen or so could do? I may not be alone in thinking that The Curse of Monkey Island was the best looking of that series, in many ways even more so than Tales, and that’s got to be 15 years old! I’m hardly an expert in how games are made, but if you had a collection of artists design the backgrounds you’re halfway there aren’t you? No messing about designing 3D models, just a palette drawing straight into the computer...

As well as that, as much as we’d all like to see new sequels to classic games, don’t underestimate how much you may love a whole new project. Grim Fandango was a one off but is considered one of the best Adventure games ever (not necessarily the best example, given it was a commercial flop!). The original Broken Sword is still earning Revolution money by selling it on the app store, so it shows there’s a market for them.

• I used to hate the prequels with a passion, and while I still hate the OT SE's (incl. Blurays), I have found a few Star Wars prequel fan edits that actually make them watchable.

Specifically, I most enjoy the prequel fan edits by L8wrtr.

L8wrtr_SOTS_front.jpgL8wrtr_TRD_front.jpgL8wrtr_DOTE_front.jpg

Personally, I think his The Republic Divided fan edit is the best of the three, even though Revenge of the Sith is better than Attack of the Clones.

• I've always liked The Phantom Edit and Attack of the Phantom. Are those especially different to the ones you mention?

• I have not watched The Phantom Editor's edits, primarily because he turns the opening crawl into an explanation for the edit. It's a deal breaker for me. The opening crawl is supposed to be a prologue, not author's notes.

• The Phantom Edits really are better, though. A lot better. Never saw these. I'd like to see Adywan's take if he ever gets time to get around to them.

• @Irishmile said: I personally am hopeful that they will at least consider another Tales season with TTG..

You and me both, dude. I'd like to see what TTG was up to considering how they ended ToMI.

• @Chyron8472 said: I have not watched The Phantom Editor's edits, primarily because he turns the opening crawl into an explanation for the edit. It's a deal breaker for me. The opening crawl is supposed to be a prologue, not author's notes.

That's a shame. The rest of the edit was pretty damn good. Wish you'd give it a go, but I can't exactly force ya.

• @Darth Marsden said: That's a shame. The rest of the edit was pretty damn good. Wish you'd give it a go, but I can't exactly force ya.

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jp

• @Darth Marsden said: That's a shame. The rest of the edit was pretty damn good. Wish you'd give it a go, but I can't exactly force ya.

I will watch The Phantom Edit then, and give them a comparison.

However, right out of the box I will tell you that L8wrtr has points over Phantom Editor by naming it Shadow of the Sith instead of The Phantom Edit; and for having a prologue-style opening crawl instead of notes from the editor. (Incidentally, there are notes from the editor, but they are in a special feature).

EDIT: I'm not going to bother with Attack of the Phantom. First, it's a dumb name. Second, L8wrtr's The Republic Divided is fantastic, so there's no need.

Add Comment