User Avatar Image

Another LucasArts President steps down

posted by Secret Fawful on - last edited - Viewed by 1.1K users

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/08/02/lucasarts-president-steps-down-2

LucasArts has just announced that President Paul Meegan has decided to step down from his position at the company. Mich Chau, President and Chief Operating Officer for Lucasfilm had the following to say:

Paul has been a valuable member of the Lucasfilm leadership team and we wish him the best in his future endeavors. We remain committed to our current projects and will be re-evaluating LucasArts’ leadership needs to ensure that we make the right decisions to keep the studio focused.

Hope restored?

68 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Lucas needed someone else to direct and rewrite his materials. Like in the original trilogy.

• [QUOTE=Shadowknight1;648414]Lucas isn't a director. He's a special effects artist. QUOTE]

That’s an interesting point to me, because I think CGI played a massive part of why things went so wrong with Star Wars – and Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull for that matter.

Granted, CGI opened the door to allow Lucas to do things that wouldn’t have been possible before, like set large parts of the story on Coruscant for instance, but I’m of the belief that it’s most effective when used as little as possible. I have a problem with computer generated characters because I think they stick out like a sore thumbs; I’d much rather have a guy in a suit! I didn’t look at Chewbacca or the Wampa (that is the name of the ice beast thing right?) and think ‘that looks like a guy in a suit’, I thought ‘that looks like an entirely plausible alien’, but if I watch Obi-Wan talking with the people on Kamino, or bloody Jar-Jar Binks, I think ‘that’s blatantly a computer image’ and it ruins things for me. It’s hard to explain – it seems illogical to complain about realism in a fantasy sci-fi film, but I want to be able to believe it. I also much preferred the spaceships and vehicles in the original trilogy for much the same reason. Detailed models look so real because, in a sense, they are! Admittedly, the explosions look pretty rubbish, but that’s when CGI should be used.

I feel a bit uncomfortably criticizing Lucas too much, after all it was his genius creation, but I believe that technological limitations actually fuelled his ingenuity. I think that if it weren’t for the Star Wars moniker, then the prequel trilogy would’ve been heralded as one of the biggest flops of all time.

• I think George Lucas is a great big ideas guy. He had this thing, Saga of the Whills, there were lots of good, big ideas. But he sucks at whittling it down and getting the best out of it, he needs people to do it for him, essentially.

• @Shadowknight1 said: Hm, I don't have the hard drive space for these things

You don't have 9 Gig of free space for a DVD?

hmm... I guess this is a gaming forum, and I myself did have to plug in my old hard drive to have the space for my movies (as my primary hdd is filled with Steam games)

I don't think you're going to find it to stream online. You'll either have to download it or else someone will have to mail it to you on disc.

• LucasArts nowadays is just a rediculous shadow of its glory past.

The studio was a legend and created legendary games, but what they pulled off in the last years is so sad that I do not even want to read any news about LucasArts anymore.

I still pray to god that one day they will sell all their adventure IPs to Telltale so we can finally see some sequels.

• I am still waiting for the Monkey Island game where Morgan takes over Elaine's body to make ghost babies with Guybrush. Oh, and as a side effect Elaine also gets preggers.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Hopefully and probably, Morgan LeFlay doesn't belong to LucasArts.

• @GaryCXJk said: I am still waiting for the Monkey Island game where Morgan takes over Elaine's body to make ghost babies with Guybrush. Oh, and as a side effect Elaine also gets preggers.

Thought.

Morgan hijacks Elaine's body and has sex with Guybrush. Elaine doesn't get pregnant, but Morgan gets stuck in her womb, and due to voodoo stuff eventually is (re)born as a human, but is also Elaine and Guybrush's daughter.

Wacky hijinks ensue.

• @Chyron8472 said: I will watch The Phantom Edit then, and give them a comparison.

I'm watching The Phantom Edit as we speak (10 minutes in, so far.)

I'm making notes in notepad about The Phantom Edit as I go along.

So far...

- picture quality not very good.

(top is Phantom Editor's edit, bottom is L8wrtr's edit--never mind the black bars on the top one as it has not been encoded in Handbrake yet.)

97Qfh.png

- audio quality not as good as L8wrtr's or even official DVD.

- opening crawl not a prologue

- not enough Jar Jar dialogue cuts (Jar Jar still says "ex-squeeze me")

- wipe into swimming underwater mid dialogue is weird.

- Ric Olie is still Captain Obvious.

[PAUSE: not watching anymore atm, as my wife doesn't feel like watching Star Wars. At any rate, I can remember why I'd seen so little of this edit previously, as the first 4 complaints alone are enough to warrant me looking elsewhere.]

Add Comment