User Avatar Image

Who the hell is Mark? /SPOILER

posted by Lockmort on - last edited - Viewed by 453 users

I live in Europe and own a ps3 so when I finally got to play episode 2 last night, it has been over 2 months since I last took a look at our survivors.

I could remember everyone, and recalled most of the decisions I made from episode 1. But I had no memories of Mark at all. I just couldn't figure out where he came from. Did I miss something from episode 1?

It's just now that I realized that Mark wasn't in episode 1 at all. That's a bit lame. Introducing a new character like that, especially after knowing everything that happens to him. Why couldn't we just have both Doug and Carly alive, that would have been way more emotional. Now I didn't really care for Mark, so when shit hit the fan I still thought it was pretty awesome, but it didn't have the impact it could have had. Bit of a shame.

Or am I missing something here?

55 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • damn someone beat me to the red shirt reference! That is the very first thing that came to mind when I saw this post lol - and frankly he's a liability- running his mouth off the the St Johns about Kat being a Vet; spilling out your personal opinions about Larry.

• [Spoilers below for ep 2. If you didn't finish, don't read.]

Is anyone else as irritated as I am that we didn't get to play the bit where they rescue mark, but instead are just "Yeah btw, here's some new guy, have fun"? I get that they randomly at one point say where he came from, but what the hell? Why did they even GO to the airforce base in the first place? I assume it must've been tied to Lilly, but still.

Just seems like weak-ass development work. Especially if you're inventing a character just to kill him off. That's bad writing on par with "giant monster end battle".

• whats so weak about it? there was a few month maybe a week or 2 inbetween the episodes just like a tv show there is stuff going on that we are unaware of.

• @Goldrock said: whats so weak about it? there was a few month maybe a week or 2 inbetween the episodes just like a tv show there is stuff going on that we are unaware of.

When was the last time you watched a show where they come back from a season and say "Hey here's this guy on our team, we're going to act like he's always been there and not even try to explain where he came from beyond 'Oh he was in the army' or something"? Cause that show must have suuuucked.

• It is presumed that a few group members went to the air force base to look for supplies. While there, they found Mark. The only reason he was invited to the group, was that Mark had food and supplies, which the group was lacking. As for the actual gameplay of the air force base, I guess that we will never get to play it.

• [SPOILERS]
    Dont read this comment if you havent completed episode 2!
    yeah i agree with you. But adding Mark out of thin air wasnt bad writing i mean its been done before. But killing him off in the same episode was bad writing, i didnt care at all if he died because we werent given more time with him to care about him. Unlike when Larry was killed off i was definately shocked.

• @Zeruis said: It is presumed that a few group members went to the air force base to look for supplies. While there, they found Mark. The only reason he was invited to the group, was that Mark had food and supplies, which the group was lacking. As for the actual gameplay of the air force base, I guess that we will never get to play it.

Like I said, I know they tried to explain it within the confines of the game with convenient dialogue ("The only reason YOU'RE here..." from Lilly, for example). But that seems ridiculously weak. I mean really, even if it had been as simple as him showing up at the beginning all "Oh hey, I've got food at my base, come get it". Or heck, why couldn't HE be the guy we save from the bear trap at the beginning?

• Fair enough@thread merging, I guess. Still seems weak though.

Edit: The Mark thing seems weak, I mean

• I don't understand how it's lame.

Mark is not unique in unexplained origin and quick death.

The first example is the cop.

The second, and more relevant, example is Shawn. We meet him, he's trying to get home, and then he dies pretty early on. It's pretty similar to Mark.

The third example is Carley and Doug. Depending on who you save, one dies early on after some significant role.

As far as the cast that has survived, very little about their past is revealed.

We don't even know how the group that was at the drug store came together before Lee's group arrived.

Personally, I just don't think Mark's arrival or exit is strange, especially with these time jumps. And it would break the narrative timeline just to show them meet Mark.

If he was just introduced to the group in the beginning of the episode, like has been suggested, how could Lee have such a strong emotional reaction to eating him? To his death? Or the group, for that matter?

They needed an established relationship and you can't do that with the audience in one cut scene or if he was just introduced to the game.

I think the writers are doing an excellent job. They're really good writers. But everybody is entitled to their opinion. It's just my view.

Add Comment