User Avatar Image

Legend of Zelda Megathread - Adoring Fan Edition

posted by Chyron8472 on - last edited - Viewed by 7.9K users

I thought we should have a thread to discuss the Legend of Zelda games, especially with Skyward Sword so close!

782 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Honestly though, I think the next big Zelda game needs to take place in the Wind Waker branch of the timeline. If only to break them of having the Master Sword and Ganon for just one game. I know that it won't happen, but every major console Zelda game since The Wind Waker has had the Master Sword and "Ganon"(Yes, I'm counting Demise since he's pretty much the originator of Ganon). It's time for a break, I think, and I believe an adventure in New Hyrule would be just the thing.

• @Shadowknight1 said: Honestly though, I think the next big Zelda game needs to take place in the Wind Waker branch of the timeline. If only to break them of having the Master Sword and Ganon for just one game. I know that it won't happen, but every major console Zelda game since The Wind Waker has had the Master Sword and "Ganon"(Yes, I'm counting Demise since he's pretty much the originator of Ganon). It's time for a break, I think, and I believe an adventure in New Hyrule would be just the thing.

You mean like after Spirit Tracks? Another cel-shaded game would be welcomed in my book.

• Doesn't even need to be cel-shaded. That timeline is in a new Hyrule, there's plenty of opportunity in that timeline.

• I still don't believe in separate Zelda timelines. You can tell the creators don't give an arse either.

• I might get the book for all of the other content in it. And I'll consider scribbling on the timeline page with crayon.

• I believe in separate timelines, but not one that's based on a hypothesized event which is not part of any ingame story nor referred to by it.

I could accept the death of the Hero of Time, but only if a game or an instruction manual came right out and said it happened... but then, you don't have to die in the game, so to have another game refer to something happening during OOT that the gamer never experienced creates a plothole.

Considering that Nintendo's SOP for Zelda games is to remain nebulous about the connections between games, the idea that the Link-dies timeline would ever be explicitly corroborated by a game is as ludicrous as the timeline itself.

• I like to play through series in order, so I dislike the split timeline thing. I did actually work out a timeline that was all one after the other, but I think that's long since lost. Let's see if I backed it up...

EDIT: Found it. Thank god for all those back-up CDs I made when I was younger.

This thing's horribly outdated - it doesn't even include the DS games, that's how old it is - but as the blurb at the start of the article says, the only recent game that's tricky to actually place is Twilight Princess, and I suggest putting that after the two Oracle games because why the hell not.

• Ugh, I hate that the timeline is still being debated. A split timeline is a necessity where time travel is involved. Frankly, it's sheer luck that the timeline isn't split more than it already is.

And as much as people hate the idea of the Hero of Time failing, it had to happen in the timeline leading to Link to the Past. Why? Ganon had the complete Triforce and the sages themselves had to seal Ganon away. The Hero had to fail. There is no interpretation of the Imprisoning War backstory that allows Link to be victorious.

As for Hyrule Historia, that's great it's getting brought out over here. Took them long enough.

• @Shadowknight1 said: Ganon had the complete Triforce and the sages themselves had to seal Ganon away. The Hero had to fail. There is no interpretation of the Imprisoning War backstory that allows Link to be victorious.

The sages have to seal Ganon away even if Link succeeds. Also, the Imprisoning War doesn't have to be taken so literally, as Guru already pointed out before.

The only issue is that the full Triforce is seen at the end of Link to the Past. That's all. I'm sure we could come up with various scenarios as to why it was all there, none of which involve OOT Link dying.

And the Hero doesn't have to fail because I don't have to die while playing as him during OOT. It's not a scripted story event, so it doesn't have to happen.

Add Comment