User Avatar Image

Larry - a better understanding

posted by MaconMajr on - last edited - Viewed by 379 users

When I come to play Episode 2, no matter what I will try to save Larry.
Not just for the sake of my secret, but for another reason...

When I began working retail, I was partnered with an elderly man named Don, a Vietnam war vet and a diabetic. The team leaders paired us cause we were a lot alike; not very social and we kept to ourselves. At times, I got angry with him cause no matter how hard I tried to fill the sales floor, Don believed I could do better. Yet, dispite the pain from being diabetic, we had a friendship, give or take.

Then one day, he passed away. That was a year ago. A man with whom I've worked with for about seven years was gone. It hit me very hard, in all the time I knew him I was angry with him. I didn't even get a chance to say goodbye. When I returned to work, they told me he passed peacefully in his sleep.

Back to the game, I agree Larry was a bit of a hardass jerk and rude but Larry's grumpy temperment almost reminded me of my team mate.
There's a choice that suggests you can talk to Lily about her father. I found it on Youtube from a playthrough by MilanRE

It's as follow's word for word where Lee talks to Lily in private.

Lee: It's been three months, your dad still treats me like I'm some kind of asshole.

Lily: Yeah, well, don't expect that to change. That's just how he is.

Lee: Does he treat you like that too?

Lily: Look. My dad can be an ass sometimes, I know that. But he's not a bad guy. He just...He's got a lot of pain. He's been through so much. And lost...pretty much everything. And it's hardened him, ya know? Yeah, he's bitter and hateful, but that's all just to protect himself. And me.
All he's got left in the world is me. And that goes both ways. So, yeah, he's probably gonna keep treating you like crap, but that's just because he still has one thing left to care about. So don't judge him. And don't judge me for sticking by him. He's my dad, and I love him.

When I do a walkthrough, this scene is a keeper for me;)

49 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I agree with a majority of you.

Even though Larry is a jerk, I just try to do the right thing, always.

• Ya know MaconMajr I can even relate to your expirence at the death of a co-worker.

I once worked about 5 years with a guy who could be a real ass at times, but was killed during a hunting accident.. Hit me kinda hard too.

But in this "game" I see the time frame of a zombie apocalypse being much different than our current real lives.

When we may not even think about doing certain things today, imagine we are in our character's shoe's during a zombie apocalypse, we would proably do thing's we never drempt we'd do.

I understand things that have happened in our real lives help to define they type of people we are today and may influence the decisions we may make, but when I play this game, I try to look ahead at the consequences of my decisions.

If I thought about a person I knew in real life, which made me choose to try to save a character here, I could verywell end up killed in the game.

I respect your way of thinking and hope it serves your character well.
    I just think in a different way.. If we were actually forced into a zombie apocalyptic world, I dont think we could afford too many sentimental factors to dictate our decisions!

• i've met and worked with a few assholes in my life so far and to be fair their is only one or two i wouldn't of saved..unless my life was somehow in danger if i didn't.... then who knows lol

• There is no better understanding. If you're talking about a realistic scenario this douche cheapshotted you, almost getting you killed DESPITE you going out of your way to get him pills and save his life. I helped Larry kill him and didn't even think twice about it. He's a danger to Clementine, Lee and quite frankly anybody besides his daughter. Too much of a loose cannon.

• @Clippersfan86 said: There is no better understanding. If you're talking about a realistic scenario this douche cheapshotted you, almost getting you killed DESPITE you going out of your way to get him pills and save his life. I helped Larry kill him and didn't even think twice about it. He's a danger to Clementine, Lee and quite frankly anybody besides his daughter. Too much of a loose cannon.

Exactly!

• @Clippersfan86 said: I helped Larry kill him and didn't even think twice about it.

Reread what you wrote. This happens a lot. I've been pretty close to doing it myself lol.

• This scene made me realize that there was more depth between Larry and Lee. I felt bad for Lilly's loss after remembering this scene.

• @Kenne with an E said: protect a girl who's in her late 30's and an airwoman.

She's a clerk, for Pete's sake...the game dialogue makes her out to be a Green Beret or something like that.

If anything, Larry's death means that Lilly can be an actual leader - she has no biases anymore. A real leader would not play favorites or make decisions biased in the favor of the safety of one person. The group is what matters.

As far as Lee being a danger to the group, that's not anywhere near certain. We are given no details whatsoever about the death of the Senator. We don't even know if Lee's wife is around who can give another side of the story. So we don't have any reliable information to support the assertion that Lee is in fact dangerous.

• @jaybreezy said: Reread what you wrote. This happens a lot. I've been pretty close to doing it myself lol.

Oops. LOL. Seriously though.... Larry had to die. Couldn't risk letting him turn and hurting my close friend Kenny or Clementine. I didn't get any indication of a nicer side of him that was going to come out.

• I killed Larry for two major reasons and about 2 or 3 minor reasons... the first major reason was the fact that in Ep 1: HE. PUNCHED. ME. AND. LEFT. ME. TO. DIE! The second was that with him not regaining consciousness and how quickly the teacher turned, there was no way kenny and lee could put him down in such an enclosed area before they were bitten. The minor reasons were his personality was basically poison for the entire group, he had nothing but rough spots and treated nobody except his daughter and clem like they were actually people. Lee got the worst but, he generally treated everyone like crap, that is not someone I would want around Clem or Duck.

Add Comment