User Avatar Image

Men thinking w/ their heads? Women & Choices

posted by Red Panda on - last edited - Viewed by 733 users

In every major game decision involving a man and woman, woman have come been heavily favorited.

75% chose Carley over Doug

87% choose not to shot Jolene

68% tried to help Lilly revive Larry, a guy that tried to kill you

Do you think it's coincidence or are men choosing women for other reasons, like possibly sex or romance?

Sometimes, like with Larry, it defies ration. He's not only a danger alive, he's clearly going to die and be a bigger threat.

If Katjaa where in a life or death situation I'm curious if guys would be so heroic. She older, not physically as attractive as Carley or Lilly, married w/ a kid. Personally, I think men would be less likely to help, like if it was Katjaa or Doug's life or helping Katjaa revive Kenny. You never know but it would be cool to test it out in an episode.

46 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Cyreen said: Interesting title and how do you account for female players? I chose Carley, didn't kill the brothers (they were hoard food anyway), and tried to save Larry, and the only character I find attractive is Lee, except when he does his whipped puppy thing.

Let me preface my reply saying I could be completely wrong about everything.

Also, it's hard to guess motives of what women are doing without the general numbers of what women are doing.

That out of the way, here's some ideas, assuming the majority of women made the same choices of you (which is a terrible assumption on my part).

My guess would be women could make similar choices as men but for different reasons. Maybe women also have a bias for saving women so they chose Carley. In real life, women tend to be less violent so perhaps they chose to spare the brothers and try to save Larry. I don't know.

One interesting difference is choosing to save both brothers. Like I mentioned before, most players killed the first one, Danny, and maybe it had nothing to do with the choice, but Lilly wanted him dead.

Without the sex/romance factor, it's possible women left him alive, which is the more rational choice. Stabbing him in the chest just turns him into a walker and then you'll possibly have to shoot him in the head, which is really noisy.

Of course I can just be completely way off about everything.

• One stat that goes against my theory is stealing from the car: Lilly clearly has reservations about it yet a majority of people steal, though it's a majority by a small margin (55%).

One explanation could be people can't make love on an empty stomach so they steal, thinking about being providers, which some women find attractive, but IDK.

• I chose most of the same choices the others in this thread did: Saved Carley, didn't shoot Jolene, and tried to save Larry.

I saved Carley because she sparked me, as a person and player, as a character I would grow fond of. Not Doug, though, purely because he wasn't given the right moment and events for me. That, and having a gun and possibly being one of the instructors that helped the others learn to shoot alongside Lilly.

I didn't shoot Jolene because I saw she was trying to warn Lee of something while baring her fangs at the other guy, and was hoping for a little information on why she did what she did, and her being shot dead only fuelled my anger towards the St. Johns.

I tried to save Larry because not only am I open-minded (and not saying I'm the only one here!) to take what Larry says and still consider helping him regardless, but I don't think anyone deserves to die like he did. Kenny jumped the gun, and there was a double standard. If Larry did survive and came back under control and consciousness, then that's that. But if Larry reanimated, well...at least we would've known of his fate.

• Think about this:

When it was Larry vs Kenny on killing a little boy b/c he might have been bitten, 57% sided with Larry.

When it's Kenny vs Lilly, the vast majority sides with Lilly.

A lot of guys claim humanitarian reasons, but throwing out a boy in elementary school to a horde of walkers is a much more gruesome death than dying of a heart attack or a quick blow to the head.

It's especially twisted logic when Larry has not only tried to kill Lee, but has threatened to do it again if he had the chance.

Why would a guy risk his life and his little girl's life to save a guy that has tried to kill him and would do it again, plus is a huge threat dead, and not try to save the life of a boy who is small, thin, and weak and has done nothing but been polite to you? Why the sudden change?

Yeah, you can blame him for Shawn's death, but no one would argue it was out of malice. Larry's action had nothing but malicious intent.

I think there's strong evidence suggesting men are siding with attractive women, even if it's on a subconscious level.

I think putting Katjaa in situation in which players have to choose to side with her in someway or not would really put the theory to the test, especially if it's against Lilly or Carley.

• Well, from my point of view, Red Panda, it is as the situation demands. For example, on my first playthrough of both episodes in where I was completely honest all the way through, answering as *I* would were I in Lee's shoes, I didn't like Larry but I certainly didn't hate him. It takes a lot to make me hate something. Anyhow, I got to the point where me, as a former EMT medical student, impulsively tried to help Larry via chest compressions, only to find that horrid image of a salt lick collapsing Larry's cranium in. That alone made me detest Kenny. Larry I could stand because I know he's being cautious and generally in a foul mood due to the situation, but Kenny did something completely unnecessary and, to use Lee's words, "ruined two lives".

And then here's the rub: some players who were formerly pro-Kenny, because of what I had just described above, would play over the episodes again, this time going pro-Larry. It's basic psychology. They play, they find something they don't like about a character, they go back to make said character miserable knowing how he's going to act. Again, this is ALL purely what I gather, not saying what is and what isn't.

• @Red Panda said: When it was Larry vs Kenny on killing a little boy b/c he might have been bitten, 57% sided with Larry.

This statistic is inaccurate because if you choose to reason with Larry the game counted that as siding with Larry against Kenny.

I did dislike Larry for being malicious, but I choose to save him because irregardless, I felt it was the right thing to do according to my moral compass.

• Is the main reason everyone chose Carley was because she had a gun and could shoot? I thought she had some sorta personality.

My first run: I chose Carley purely because I didn't know anything about Doug. Didn't shoot Jolene because I want my Lee to save lives rather than take them. Didn't kill Larry because of my reason for not killing Jolene.

I went in with the mindset that I don't want to kill anyone, not because I favor women. Carley was picked because TellTale really missed the ball with Doug and giving me a reason to like him(made up for it, if you save him with Episode 2) But a lot of Youtube commentators(I know shouldn't bring them up) tend to believe that helping the chick means you get to bone her, so it's not unusual to think that males are favoring the chick for the wrong reasons.

• @GenericMartini said: Is the main reason everyone chose Carley was because she had a gun and could shoot? I thought she had some sorta personality.

My first run: I chose Carley purely because I didn't know anything about Doug. Didn't shoot Jolene because I want my Lee to save lives rather than take them. Didn't kill Larry because of my reason for not killing Jolene.

I went in with the mindset that I don't want to kill anyone, not because I favor women. Carley was picked because TellTale really missed the ball with Doug and giving me a reason to like him(made up for it, if you save him with Episode 2) But a lot of Youtube commentators(I know shouldn't bring them up) tend to believe that helping the chick means you get to bone her, so it's not unusual to think that males are favoring the chick for the wrong reasons.

I agree that there's some charm to Carley. Besides being a woman, and a sharpshooting one at that, she has a likable personality...to me, at least.

• @Xirsche said: I agree that there's some charm to Carley. Besides being a woman, and a sharpshooting one at that, she has a likable personality...to me, at least.

She seems loyal to you, for the most part. I just want to see Carley/Doug have a bigger role in episode 3.

• @Xirsche said: Well, from my point of view, Red Panda, it is as the situation demands. For example, on my first playthrough of both episodes in where I was completely honest all the way through, answering as *I* would were I in Lee's shoes, I didn't like Larry but I certainly didn't hate him. It takes a lot to make me hate something. Anyhow, I got to the point where me, as a former EMT medical student, impulsively tried to help Larry via chest compressions, only to find that horrid image of a salt lick collapsing Larry's cranium in. That alone made me detest Kenny. Larry I could stand because I know he's being cautious and generally in a foul mood due to the situation, but Kenny did something completely unnecessary and, to use Lee's words, "ruined two lives".

And then here's the rub: some players who were formerly pro-Kenny, because of what I had just described above, would play over the episodes again, this time going pro-Larry. It's basic psychology. They play, they find something they don't like about a character, they go back to make said character miserable knowing how he's going to act. Again, this is ALL purely what I gather, not saying what is and what isn't.

I think you're point of view is perfectly valid. It makes sense and it would be arrogant and foolish of me to claim I'm right.

Add Comment