User Avatar Image

Men thinking w/ their heads? Women & Choices

posted by Red Panda on - last edited - Viewed by 310 users

In every major game decision involving a man and woman, woman have come been heavily favorited.

75% chose Carley over Doug

87% choose not to shot Jolene

68% tried to help Lilly revive Larry, a guy that tried to kill you

Do you think it's coincidence or are men choosing women for other reasons, like possibly sex or romance?

Sometimes, like with Larry, it defies ration. He's not only a danger alive, he's clearly going to die and be a bigger threat.

If Katjaa where in a life or death situation I'm curious if guys would be so heroic. She older, not physically as attractive as Carley or Lilly, married w/ a kid. Personally, I think men would be less likely to help, like if it was Katjaa or Doug's life or helping Katjaa revive Kenny. You never know but it would be cool to test it out in an episode.

46 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Drbg said: Small majority is an oxymoron...lol.

haha true. A majority by a small margin :)

• @Red Panda said: I think you're point of view is perfectly valid. It makes sense and it would be arrogant and foolish of me to claim I'm right.

Oh, it's perfectly fine to give your own opinion. It's just the people who say stupid things like, "My opinion matters!" or "I'm right, you're wrong!". As long as you don't say anything of the sort (which I noticed you don't :)), then you're gold.

@Red Panda said: I didn't kill people b/c I didn't want to kill people either, though I gave the woman at the hotel the gun. Like I've been saying, I could be completely off.

I don't kill people unless I absolutely have to. If this were a survival sim, and there were people trying to pressure me for something, well...I'd shoot them in non-lethal places. Such as a shoulder and just above, below, or on the knees or something.

@Red Panda said: Yeah, I think that scene was a bit confusing for a lot of people. When I suggested reasoning with Larry I simply meant try to talk him down instead of fight.

Yeah, lots of other players got the same reaction. I did, too, on my first playthrough. I've been pro-Larry and pro-Lilly since episode 2.

@Red Panda said: Kenny changed from likeable hillbilly to redneck coward in Episode 2. That jerk said he had my back when I was about to ambush one of the brothers in the shed.

I suppose he was a coward all along though. He'd abandon/sacrifice the entire group if it meant getting not only his family, but also himself to safety. ;o

Yeah, I agree with you there. You mess up on one small thing with Kenny and he snaps, and leaves you for dead if he got the chance. See if I give his family any food ever again.

• you can argue people have short fuses like with temper tantrums, one wrong move and it all over..

imo kenny has always been pro family even in ep1 he laid it out for lee/us so if we cross him/duck/katjaa thats it..it on beetches

makes sense ?

• @Milosuperspesh said: you can argue people have short fuses like with temper tantrums, one wrong move and it all over..

imo kenny has always been pro family even in ep1 he laid it out for lee/us so if we cross him/duck/katjaa thats it..it on beetches

makes sense ?

Perfectly. That's the same vibe I got from him the instant he took Duck from the tractor. If I were in his shoes, I'd get Duck from the tractor, set him down out of reach of the undead and help Lee. That'd raise points for most likely a lot more players.

• I picked Carley because she saved Me and Clem, and also Kenny and his family (Episode 1, while I was still a Kenny supporter), and helped me save Glenn (my favorite character from the comics). In the drugstore, yeah Doug was gripped by at least two different walkers, but the boards were still holding behind him. Yeah Carley only had one gripping her ankle, but she was out of ammo. Besides that, we just saw her entire section of the wall come down only 30 seconds before, and there were more walkers on the way. She looked like she needed help more at that moment than Doug, which is why I saved her.

I shot Jolene in the head. Not only did she have Clem's hat, but she was clearly mentally unstable and was pointing a crossbow right at me. I don't know about you people, but I was focusing more on her crossbow than what she was actually saying. Too bad I ddin't listen up more in retrospect, because she revealed alot about the St. Johns and what they were actually up to.

I killed Larry because, while Kenny and Lilly both made good points, I didn't want to risk him getting Clem if he came back, and my cursor was hovering over Kenny just as time was about to run out. Again, would've helped Larry in hindsight, because my Lee is trying to get as many people out of this apocalypse alive as he can.

• I chose Carley because she had the group's only firearm at the time (as well as an ability to use it), losing her also meant losing that weapon. It didn't hurt that she saves Lee's life atleast twice in Episode 1.

In the case of Jolene, I simply hadn't chosen to shoot her yet; she was giving me information and pointing her crossbow at Danny, who had been acting pretty damn suspicious himself (his reaction to the camcorder and the fact it wasn't working) just a few minutes before we meet her.

Larry became a lot more tolerable in Episode 2, atleast in my case. The only reason he leaves Lee for dead in Episode 1 is because he knows Lee murdered somebody, and under the same circumstances, I'm not sure I'd do any differently. Hell, by the start of Episode 2 he even tries to save Lee from the Walker in the pickup if you give him the axe. My decision to try and save him had more to do with the fact that he was useful, we actually see him do more for the group around camp (working on the wall around the motel, potentially saving Lee) than Kenny. There's also the fact that you have to theoretically live with these people after the fact, crushing the head of someone's family member before their very eyes is a good way to end up as a friendly fire casualty down the road... regardless of that person's gender.

• @Xirsche said:

I don't kill people unless I absolutely have to. If this were a survival sim, and there were people trying to pressure me for something, well...I'd shoot them in non-lethal places. Such as a shoulder and just above, below, or on the knees or something.

Wow... Uhm...

There's no such thing as "shooting someone in non-lethal places". Guns are designed to kill people, and a shot to the leg or shoulder is just as likely to kill someone as a shot to the torso.

There are huge blood vessels in peoples' limbs, and if they're severed, they'll bleed to death easily.

People who are not justified in killing are not justified in shooting either, despite what movies and video games may portray :P

• I think it's a bit simplistic to say that men playing the game simply choose women, I think the guys playing this game deserve more credit than that! I made all those same choices as a woman, they're just sensible choices.

Carley, as many have mentioned, proved herself to be good with a gun which is a fairly useful skill. Personally I also saved her because she knew about Lee's past and I didn't want to risk a "if I die, it was Lee" scenario, which is what I would have done in her situation.

Shooting Jolene is only a sensible choice if you think she's a threat to you, which at the time I didn't. No reason to shoot her whilst still talking, especially since the information seemed useful.

Finally, there was no reason to kill Larry until we were sure he was dead which I don't think we'd reached. Kill him when there's no alternative sure, but not at the first sign of trouble.

• I chose Doug. I like geeks.
    I didn't want to shoot the lady because my "gut" said it wasnt right. So I didn't point blank.
    I hated Larry. I like his daughter....but I killed him the moment I got the chance (►.◄)

If Kenny's wife happened to be in one of those "pick" moments...I might save her..she is a medic. But if its her or duck, Im going for her. Her and Kenny....Her. Im being logical majority of the time while playing.

• @yungdragon210 said: If Kenny's wife happened to be in one of those "pick" moments...I might save her..she is a medic. But if its her or duck, Im going for her. Her and Kenny....Her. Im being logical majority of the time while playing.

If I have to choose between saving any of Kenny's family that timer is running out and I'm praying they both die. Remember there's usually a third option in these situations - take no action.

Add Comment