User Avatar Image

Disney!

posted by coolsome on - last edited - Viewed by 1.3K users

Everyone loves Disney right? OF COURSE I AM RIGHT. So heres a thread (Im not calling the title "the Disney thread" cos that's just stupid am I right!)

So anyway my fave Disney movies are Lion King Aladdin and Sleeping Beauty all epic journeys with epic villians and memorable protagonists (the 3 fairy's are the protagonist in Sleeping Beauty not the price or princess and they are memroble). I also love Fantasia and there TV cartoons I also love Disney merchendice just wish it wasnt expensive as holy hell.

So what's your fave disney movies and what do you love and hate about it?

78 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Part of me wants to have faith since this is the first thing in recent memory that Disney has rebooted, but...then I read up what is supposedly being done to Robocop and I cringe at the thought of the same kinds of things happening to The Rocketeer. The Rocketeer and Flight of the Navigator are two of my favorite Disney movies and I think both should be left alone.

• @Shadowknight1 said: Part of me wants to have faith since this is the first thing in recent memory that Disney has rebooted

Even if we only look at live action films, Tron: Legacy less than two years ago isn't in recent memory? What about trying(and failing) to reboot John Carter of Mars? What about Alice in Wonderland? The Muppets? Underdog? Sorcerer's Apprentice?

• @Rather Dashing said: Even if we only look at live action films, Tron: Legacy less than two years ago isn't in recent memory? What about trying(and failing) to reboot John Carter of Mars? What about Alice in Wonderland? The Muppets? Underdog? Sorcerer's Apprentice?

Tron: Legacy was a sequel, not a reboot. They may have been in a new computer system that looked totally different, but the storyline continued on from the first movie.

I wouldn't call The Sorcerer's Apprentice a reboot either. Honestly, the gap between the original Fantasia material and the live-action film is so huge, I'm not even sure what you'd call it. Maybe "loosely inspired by the Fantasia short". Very loosely.

• Aside from Jennifer Connelly's somewhat-wooden performance (though she did make up for it :D), the original film was amazing. I doesn't need a reboot, just a decent Blu-Ray releas- OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE DISNEY.

• @GuruGuru214 said: I wouldn't call The Sorcerer's Apprentice a reboot either. Honestly, the gap between the original Fantasia material and the live-action film is so huge, I'm not even sure what you'd call it. Maybe "loosely inspired by the Fantasia short". Very loosely.

It's as much a reboot as Alice in Wonderland and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory are reboots. It's in that weird gray area where the Fantasia short and the live action film are obviously adapting the same source material, so it's "another adaptation", but it's an adaptation that frankly would not exist without the previous adaptation's existence. No way modern Disney would adapt Sorcerer's Apprentice if it hadn't been adapted in Fantasia first.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@GuruGuru214 said: [QUOTE=Rather Dashing;653684]Even if we only look at live action films, Tron: Legacy less than two years ago isn't in recent memory? What about trying(and failing) to reboot John Carter of Mars? What about Alice in Wonderland? The Muppets? Underdog? Sorcerer's Apprentice?

Tron: Legacy was a sequel, not a reboot. They may have been in a new computer system that looked totally different, but the storyline continued on from the first movie.

I wouldn't call The Sorcerer's Apprentice a reboot either. Honestly, the gap between the original Fantasia material and the live-action film is so huge, I'm not even sure what you'd call it. Maybe "loosely inspired by the Fantasia short". Very loosely.[/QUOTE]
    John Carter also wasn't a reboot, as the only adaptation of the novel ever made was a direct to DVD movie 3 years before the film (and the Disney movie was in production long before that).

The Muppets wasn't a reboot either but a sequel, as it continued the storyline of (and referenced events from) the previous movies.

• @Rather Dashing said: It's as much a reboot as Alice in Wonderland and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory are reboots. It's in that weird gray area where the Fantasia short and the live action film are obviously adapting the same source material, so it's "another adaptation", but it's an adaptation that frankly would not exist without the previous adaptation's existence. No way modern Disney would adapt Sorcerer's Apprentice if it hadn't been adapted in Fantasia first.

I admit, I don't know a whole lot about the original source material for The Sorcerer's Apprentice. But the film is so fundamentally different from the short on basically every level, the only thing they seem to have in common is the same VERY basic premise, and that cleaning scene in the middle of the live-action film that comes off more as a homage than anything.

• Does anyone know if this

$T2eC16R,!yEE9s5jFRDmBQV8FfqdY!~~60_12.J

Is region A, B ,C or ABC?

• I'd imagine it's what used to be PAL, given the title. I believe it's known as "Basil the Great Mouse Detective" in the US. I could very well be wrong though - it's been known to happen from time to time.

Not that it matters. It's Blu-Ray - there's no region locking.

Also: I WANT IT.

EDIT: According to Wikipedia, the 'Mysteries in the Mist' edition DVD was never released in Europe, so...

EDIT2: According to Blu-Ray.com, it's Region A. Again though, there's no region locking on a Blu-Ray, so...

EDIT3: Sadly, it appears this is not one of Disney's best Blu-Ray conversions. Boo!

Add Comment