User Avatar Image

The Legendary General Art Thread

posted by Hayden on - last edited - Viewed by 17K users

Well, we've got a Sam & Max Fanart Thread, a Monkey Island Fanart Thread, so why not a thread for art in general? We've obviously got a lot of talented artists on the Telltale forum, and it would be a shame to just restrict them to showing us just their Sam & Max and Monkey Island art. So if you've got any awesome art that you're proud of and want to share with us, post it here! It doesn't have to be an art piece of games, it could be movie art, art inspired by books, inspired by songs, art of bands or musicians, or something completely random; it can be of anything - as it is a place for art in general. So yeah, share, show us what you've got!

1.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • That's pretty awesome , I love those.

I was working on a audrey hepburn piece but can't decide whether or not to have the deer.

audrey_hepburn_with_deer_by_brianjosephk

• Well, I don't do art much, but I recently drew this little sketch and then decided to have a go with some colored pencils. Here's the result:

cWrkd.png

Yeah, I kinda messed up on the eyes... and the collar... and the shading... and the mouth...

Honestly, I'm just happy that his arms ended up approximately the same size. Because that would be a first in my drawings.

• Looks to me that you're developing your own style. I like how you did the hair and the skin. If your sort of new to color like I am , I think you should try water colors too. I feel that water colors and colored pencils, crayons is a great place to start.

Use the cheap water colors in my opinion, the ones that you get with the coloring books. I like to use those for the stuff I share.

• I was considering water colors initially, but I'm kinda lazy and there was a pack of colored pencils in the same art box, so I went with those.

The main problem I have with watercolors is that the way the color pools up makes it almost like a gamble as to whether the shading will look good or not. And this is probably because I have no idea how to use them properly.

Of course, my problem with colored pencils is that there's a fairly limited range in what you can do as far as mixing. I tried a bit with his eyes, but the green there still looks off from what I was trying for.

• Ah, coloring... Unless it's a somewhat cartoony style, then I purely suck at it. I envy everybody who can do it properly.

Which reminds me. You should all see this. Made with 8 ballpoint pens. The only thing that I can say is... nothing, really. Well, maybe 'HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!', but that about covers it. I want to draw like that too... :(

• @Farlander said: Ah, coloring... Unless it's a somewhat cartoony style, then I purely suck at it. I envy everybody who can do it properly.

Which reminds me. You should all see this. Made with 8 ballpoint pens. The only thing that I can say is... nothing, really. Well, maybe 'HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!', but that about covers it. I want to draw like that too... :(

That is scary good. :p

The only way I could do that would be pixel by pixel. There's no way I could do that with pens.

• Whaaaaaa

I could never do that. Even if I had a million years and a store full of ballpoint pens and instruction books.

• As some one who struggles as an artist...I think it's important that you find what works for you. That's what I tell myself and I try to remove any obstacles I see. I tell myself there is more than one way to skin a donkey.

I'm beginning to believe that It's not learning "how" to create something , it's creating it that matters. That's what artist do , they create, especially ones that find their own methods, style to making art. That's what they do, they create. So don't limit yourself in what you can't do, but build off what you can do. That's the definition of creativity! And I think as long as you have that inspiration and creative thinking then you can create anything you put your mind to.

To do something like that, get that look I would have to do it pixel by pixel, but I still feel that I could capture it. It wouldn't be easy, but it would be possible. But it would take me a very long time, probably a full day.
    Look at it this way, if everything is digital now and printed off, then it doesn't really matter how you put something together, just as long as the end result has the desired effect.

:)

But, I'm not trying to be preachy, what I'm suggesting is that you see past such limitations that I used to let myself be held back from. That is my philosophy on art, and I only need to post it once.

I try to focus on the picture , and the feeling of the picture. And the effect of the picture. Even if you can't paint, or draw like that, once you get down to pixels, anything is possible.

• @Farlander said: Ah, coloring... Unless it's a somewhat cartoony style, then I purely suck at it. I envy everybody who can do it properly.

Holy crap. And this guy is just some random lawyer who likes doodling with ballpoint pens. How does this even happen?

• Well, I was more going at the realism in the picture, too. I mean I have done pretty complicated things with pixel-like substances (cross-stitch), but never with such a limitation. Usually, I've got thirty or forty colors for that.

I think I'll stick to my oddly cartoony stuff for drawing. That and composing.

Add Comment