User Avatar Image

The Kickstarter thread

posted by Darth Marsden on - last edited - Viewed by 15.6K users

Since there's probably going to be a fair few Kickstarter projects that aren't done by Tim Schafer, I thought it might be nice to start a separate thread for all the little games on Kickstarter that don't get as much exposure.

For example: Feeble's Fable: The Legend of Runes by Atomic Chimp Games. Another point-and-click adventure game, but this one is going for more of a cute and charming feel. It definitely looks interesting, though they've nowhere near the backing they need. :(

And another: Americana Dawn by one guy, Max K. Lambert. It's a freeware retro-styled RPG about the French & Indian War and the American War for Independence. Kickstarter page is a little bare (he doesn't actually say what he needs the money for, for one), but it looks like an awesome game.

So let's see what other Kickstarter projects you think is worth shining a little light on!

1.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

The Runaway series got that under control. The third part even excelled at integrating the 3D characters in the 2D environments... while they're looking misplaced in those first Broken Sword moving pictures.

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

It's odd that they mention how fluid the animation is... that is actually the issue I take with it. The facial close-ups in particular seem TOO fluid somehow, reminds me of Flash animation. I can't quite verbalise what it is, just feels "off". Maybe it's what you guys are saying about the character models not integrating well with the hand-drawn backgrounds.

Also, in the Kickstarter video (at 5:35) you see them hand-animating 2D drawings of George. If the characters are actually created as 3D models, is that bit just visual filler or something?

At any rate, it's going to look a damn sight better than the 3rd and 4th games.

• George's face seems devoid of feature in closeups. The side profile shots look really good I think, so the bulk of your adventuring experience is gonna be quite satisfying.

I really hope they go for a more low-key tone than the third and fourth games. Broken Sword 1 and to a lesser extent two were gently paced things with the odd scuffle here and deception there that led to a fantastical reveal of the true nature of the mystery. However in later installments they have you, right off the bat in a plane crash in the jungle on your way to a meeting with a mad scientist with a doomsday machine. :-/

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

A good adventure game delivers plenty of emotion and happenings between characters - supported by facial expression. But, seriously, Nico and George have wayyyy passed the interest threshold of their on/off relationship. If Broken Sword 5 is all about the puzzles and not about the disappointing attempt at finding something tellworthy in the Nico-George-relationship, I'd be content... and the animation in that area would be of less relevance.

• I've been artistically inspired lately and this project inspired me so I've been working on various art works and made a broken sword one. I'm new to color with traditional media but I'm learning kind of fast I guess. I need to learn to draw my stuff a little better before coloring.

Anyways, I agree about emotions in a game. I think the first two games were very animated , had a Disney film type feeling to them. And I think that animation quality sets a standard for the first two games setting them apart from the 3rd and 4th. But the voice acting in the 3rd and 4th games is a major save. And it will be in the latest installment. The facial animations in 3 and 4 are probably better than this game. And that doesn't necessarily say a whole lot. But I think the voice actor, during game play is really going to help pull this project through. I love the voice of George Stobbart.

• I'm glad this will be made because there's no way I could afford to back it at even the lowest prize-granting level.

...Okay, "no way" is pushing it slightly, but dammit I'm NOT backing down on funding Anomalisa.

• Over at the Project Giana, uh, project, they've announced the following:

- If you add $10 on top of your pledge, we’ll provide you with an additional gift version of the digital download with a special splash screen announcing your generosity.
    - If you add $20 on top of your pledge, we’ll add a DVD of the game to your rewards (in a properly illustrated case, of course), with free shipping worldwide.

In case you needed an additional push. I'll probably end up going for that DVD, since it's free shipping. I like physical things, sue me.

• Here's hoping it'll pick up at the 11th hour. I hear lots of other nearly-backed projects do.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

Dominique Pamplemousse in "It's All Over Once the Fat Lady Sings!" is a unique musical (with singing!) detective adventure game using stop motion animation by Deidra Kiai, who worked on Ron Gilbert's Deathspank and was formerly an intern at Telltale Games.

There's a demo of the game here. :)

Add Comment