User Avatar Image

[SPOILERS from page 3]Logic says the Doug/Carly Will Die in Ep 3

posted by dankirk on - last edited - Viewed by 3.7K users

Since you chose to save one or the other in ep 1, then they are both expendable. It wouldn't make sense to build the complete story around which one you chose. I'm betting that whoever you saved in ep 1 will die in ep 3. Neither can be a main player.

73 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @TheWildcard said: Yes doug/carly must die. I doubt they are going to put forth the effort to keep them around. They automatically have to make 2 versions of anything those characters are involved in. I believe the doug/carly thing to be a tool to help the illusion of choice and I doubt it will be used again. I actually think we will see a lot of disposable characters like mark. Introduced and killed in the same episode....

Them doing the same thing slightly different makes that choice meaningless.

• There might be another choice with new characters and a new split that overlap Carley/Doug, maybe Christa/Omid.

• @trd84 said: Them doing the same thing slightly different makes that choice meaningless.

About as meaningless as the famous Professor Oak question.

• @Master of Aeons said: But that'd only be one full episode they will have to have programed around a dual character. I'm no programmer, but I don't think it's hard to fit in one character that affect the story in the same way with only cosmetic differences with different dialogue trees. I give them two full episodes at least. They die episode 4 or 5. I say 5.

would it really be so hard to have at least one different location with its own enclosed puzzle/set piece for carley and doug sort of like the Irene/parking lot bit but with it only impacting carley or doug (could just be the two of us) then coming back to the main story

• @trd84 said: Them doing the same thing slightly different makes that choice meaningless.

Pretty much. I doubt they are going to be able to make the decisions truely meaningful...IMHO they have failed to do so thus far.

• @kirby18 said: I AM GUARANTEEING THE DEATH OR DEPARTURE OF CARLY / DOUG

Hmmm... Are you actually qualified to make that guarantee???

I guarantee that they make it through this next episode. How about that? :D

• Have the achievements really been leaked? Who would want to ruin their own experience by looking ahead?

• @Awesoke said: Have the achievements really been leaked? Who would want to ruin their own experience by looking ahead?

Someone posted a sort of screenshot of trophies/achievements for all of the episodes. :/

• This thread made me think of Mark. He was only around for a short bit in episode two but I wish I could have done something to save him. He certainly seemed a lot more likeable than Doug.

• @TheWildcard said: Yes doug/carly must die. I doubt they are going to put forth the effort to keep them around. They automatically have to make 2 versions of anything those characters are involved in. I believe the doug/carly thing to be a tool to help the illusion of choice and I doubt it will be used again. I actually think we will see a lot of disposable characters like mark. Introduced and killed in the same episode....

Very true a smart person can tell by ep2 that the choice thing is bs, the story pans out exactly the same way just with tiny little dialogue changes.

There is no real choice, they didn't kill Doug/Carly in ep2 because people would be like "What was the point of that choice" so they kept them around but made sure they hardly appeared, hoping people wouldn't be able to tell that they do basically the same thing. Just with different weapons. So they just created Mark (a random guy) to fit their spot.

Now killing them in ep3 makes it look like the choice you made was actually important (or so they think), players are not idiots any person with sense can tell the point was ridiculous since it hasn't/wont play a major part in the story.

Come ep3 the choices will still be the same, nothing changes at all apart from tiny dialogue pieces.

Examples

Leave night/day - nothing happens that changes the story just a tiny different cut scene.

Save Shaun - Dies either way.

Kick duck out - Just one tiny bit of dialogue by Kenny in ep2 doesn't change the story one bit, he will say the same stuff he normally does to keep the story moving.

Save Doug or Carly - both do the exact same thing in ep2 just with different weapons and are hardly in it.

Cut teachers leg of - either way the story pans out exactly the scene apart from the opening cut scene.

Save Larry - Dies either way

Kill the St. John brothers - you can count on everything being the same, maybe just someone saying remember when you killed those guys etc.

Kenny/Lilly - nothing will change, the story will just branch out the same.

This = Choices being pointless, it pretends to be something it's not but any smart person who does a 2nd play through can tell how meaningless they really are. To get real choice within a story they would need to be better developers/bigger team and more time.

The way things are looking for the new Walking Dead game it sounds like that will actually have more choice as you choose to team up with people or kill them, that rite there is more choice then what we are actually given within this game.

Add Comment