User Avatar Image

55% Lack Compassion...

posted by chaz99 on - last edited - Viewed by 920 users

I was wondering why such a high % refused to let Irene have the gun and take her own life, knowing what was ahead for her.

Most interested in the ideas/opinions of those who refused to give her the gun, but all input welcome, as it should be.

Discuss and explain.

86 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Bearcules said: This scene made me think of the movie The Mist. I still gave her the gun.

that film is an example i would use to explain why no matter what happens, i would never kill myself, however given the right circumstances (not depression) i think people have the right to take their own lives

• During an apocalypse where the dead come back to try to eat you i think you should put the 'killing yourself is wrong' mentality to the side.

I gave her the gun without hesitation.

If I were in the situation where I knew that getting bit meant I turned into one of them and killed people I would want to die BEFORE I turned into one of them.

If you weren't bitten and just wanted to end your life because you 'didn't want to deal with it' then I would have a different reaction.

• The shot would've attracted walkers. I'd be happy to axe her if that was an option.

• @SadClown said: The shot would've attracted walkers. I'd be happy to axe her if that was an option.

"Well, I won't let you shoot yourself, but I'll chop your head off with my axe.." Not the most compassionate way to go.

• "Sorry, I won't let you shoot yourself, but I can give you this lovely toothpick to kill yourself with. Good luck sorting out the details."

• @Master of Aeons said: "Sorry, I won't let you shoot yourself, but I can give you this lovely toothpick to kill yourself with. Good luck sorting out the details."

"Sorry I won't let you shoot yourself, but I will punch you directly in the face, it may take a few tries, but once I get the right angle, the broken shards of your nose should be shoved up into your brain and kill you."

• @Eric Northman said: "Sorry I won't let you shoot yourself, but I will punch you directly in the face, it may take a few tries, but once I get the right angle, the broken shards of your nose should be shoved up into your brain and kill you."

I believe the key word was "compassion", as in a desire to elevate distress, not inflict it.

• My choices changed as the story went on but early on we don't know how bites really work and it isn't a guaranteed suffering death like later ones...

I wouldn't kill her then but maybe I would now...

• I didn't let her have the gun because I tried to play it how I would react if it all of a sudden started up. I wouldn't know that there isn't a cure. Hell, I barely even knew that a bite makes you turn. I also wouldn't be desensitized to killing to way the characters are in later episodes. Everything is still fresh, and stunning, and difficult. It's not so simple to say "it's putting her out of her misery" because I still fear death as a person in a normal world would, not seeing death as a relief to misery.

• She expressed Christian views and a desire to not kill others; I don't think there was really need to worry that she would turn the gun on Lee or his companions.

I do see worrying that the gun shot would attract more walkers, though.

I've both killed and not killed her while playing... personally, I think if someone who is begging to die because there is little to no chance they can recover from whatever ailment befalls them, it is the right thing to do to honor their wishes. And you could see by her face that she was close to death already.

As for Glenn - the apocalypse had just started; he probably would have had a different or less nasty view of Lee's actions had it been known for sure there was pretty much no cure or doctors to help.

Add Comment