Menu
User Avatar Image

So any gun enthusiasts here

posted by KingOfZilla on - last edited - Viewed by 3.2K users

I'm still kind of new to the telltale forums and figured I'd start a new thread for fellow gun lovers. I also wanted to get insode everyone elses head. So tell me everyone; What have you got, what do you like in your guns, what's your favorite gun, etc.

Thanks

206 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Chyron8472 said: So what you're saying is, that you have a gun 1) for personal security, and 2) to maintain some semblance of personal control (or at least the feeling of control) over something that the government and the rich haven't taken over yet.

and 3) because it's fun.

Is that what you're saying?

Essentially, yes.

@Chyron8472 said: You've switched your point from any group who has been tryanized would have wanted guns opposing to their oppressors to peaceful rebellion is impractical. By abandoning your original point you demonstrate poor debate principles.

There are nonviolent groups who would not have the opinion you've hoisted onto them. Whether or not you find the idea practical has no bearing on whether or not it's an idea that they have.

You'll find that I never really switched my point. I merely added that peaceful rebellion is impossible. I maintain that the oppressed would, in the vast majority of circumstances, find solace in the ability to defend themselves.

I wonder how things would have turned out had we been able to arm the Jews, gypsies, and others the Nazis disliked before Hitler rounded them up? I wonder what would have happened if we armed the Manchurians against the Japanese? Unit 731 might not have found things so easy, then. Just things to consider.

@Chyron8472 said: The American Revolution really has very little to do with an armed populace and more to do with circumstance and support.

The British were across the globe. With the speed of travel in those days, communication and coordination at higher levels was effectively impossible. We're talking about a political body where the nervous system takes months to get the mind to move a hand, and months for the hand to report that it's on fire.

The British had three OTHER wars to deal with, each providing a greater potential gain AND loss for the country than the American colonial rebellion.

The French supported the colonists early on.

The British were not in the best economic shape at the time.

The colonists had a few really lucky breaks, specifically in Washington and figuring out the whole Benedict Arnold thing before he split off New England and gave control of the Hudson to the British(and potentially handed Washington over on a silver platter, too).

The British were never fighting for the seat of their government. They were fighting for a new but already vestigial limb far from home.

Essentially, the colonists won largely by virtue of timing, circumstance, and luck.

Oh yes, because the United States has no enemies at all now and are certainly never bound to be overburdened again. After all, the United States military is just so good at counter insurgency operations, aren't they? I mean, it's done a splendid job ever since Vietnam, right?

Incidentally, I see that you didn't dispute the successes of comrades Lenin and Mao. Interesting.

• I have an uncle who lives in backwoods Louisiana. He says he has neighbors who shoot at anything that moves within five feet of their houses. Now THAT is home defense!

• I bet they don't have to worry about break-ins very often.

• @Comrade Pants said: I bet they don't have to worry about break-ins very often.

Bet they don't have many visitors either.

• @Alcoremortis said: Bet they don't have many visitors either.

Eh, I'd take the security. I prefer to meet strangers away from where I keep my pets and the majority of my valuables.

• @Comrade Pants said: Eh, I'd take the security. I prefer to meet strangers away from where I keep my pets and the majority of my valuables.

What about the Pizza man?

• @Comrade Pants said: I wonder how things would have turned out had we been able to arm the Jews, gypsies, and others the Nazis disliked before Hitler rounded them up?

I wonder how things would have turned out if other European countries would have intervened earlier? I wonder what would have happened if the German government didn't make such an epic ******** mess of things when they could have seen trouble brewing from miles ahead. I mean, those Nazi weirdos had their own party army, for goodness' sake!

A lot of things went wrong there, but the arming of Jews and other oppressed groups wasn't the best possible solution. European leaders just completely bungled and majorly misjudged the situation, including German politicians before Hitler came to power.

To get back on topic though, sure, you can arm oppressed groups, but then it turns into a war, and it's about who can hold out the longest. Like a game of chess, if you will, but with human pawns. Sometimes outside intervention, with actual trained soldiers, is better. But in the end, there are only losers in a situation like that.

But this discussion is pretty useless, since most people who own guns do so for the kicks, not to prepare against possible oppression.

• @Haggis said: Sometimes outside intervention, with actual trained soldiers, is better.

I'm sure the people in the middle east just love our soldiers being there.

• Again, I'm forced to agree with Chyron.

Is this thread Bizarro World?

• @coolsome said: What about the Pizza man?

“Yes, i’ll have two large Pepperoni pizzas and a 2 liter bottle of Coke. No, just leave on the driveway, because if I see you coming up to my door, i’ll blow your nuts off."

This discussion has been closed.