User Avatar Image

[SPOILERS] Ep. 3 Carley/Doug... Relax.

posted by Fiddle Diddle on - last edited - Viewed by 2.5K users

Alright alright, I realize that a lot of you are upset about (please go away if you haven't played ep. 3) Carley and Doug. As far as I can tell, only about 101% of you think that what happened in ep. 3 was lazy screenplay. However, I think it'd be better for everyone's sanity if we just try to interpret this differently.

Carley and Doug are cool, but let's face it, they're minor characters. Despite this, they're still not the same character, so stop calling them Carley/Doug. There is at least one big difference I can think of: Carley insists that you share your past with the group. I haven't done my Doug play-through yet but I can't imagine him doing the same because he simply doesn't know about you. I'll rescind this if somebody is willing to correct me here.

Yet still, they are minor characters. They don't have *much* time to develop (well, at least more than Chet, come on people), and they pretty much kick the bucket in identical fashion. Their fate still serves a purpose though. Admit it, your jaw dropped. It was shocking. But more than that, it represents the imminent disintegration of the group.

Most importantly, we should be thinking of what happened to Carley and Doug less in terms of themselves and more in terms of what it means to other, more substantial characters. Without spoiling anything else, Lilly and Ben in particular will be affected depending on how you handle things.

So, no, stop it, don't angrily slam your keyboard against the wall. Go outside for a walk, take a deep breath, admit that I'm right :cool:

55 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Now we know that their death couldn't be avoided, let's just be happy that they were both killed quickly and painlessly.

• Actually i disagree Carley is the gun slinger and Doug is the tech guy they not minor characters in a zombie apoc. But i think thats not the only issue the issue is them dieing the same way. You cant have Carley get blasted just like Doug do you really see Lilly pulling a quick draw Mcgraw on Carley glock 9 LOL :eek:

• I find it ironic that people get mad that people die in a Zombie game.

• @AceStarr said: Actually i disagree Carley is the gun slinger and Doug is the tech guy they not minor characters in a zombie apoc. But i think thats not the only issue the issue is them dieing the same way. You cant have Carley get blasted just like Doug do you really see Lilly pulling a quick draw Mcgraw on Carley glock 9 LOL :eek:

Argument is invalid: [SPOILERS] Carley has no eyes in the back of her head, which is why Lilly politely tried to put an extra hole there (or was it the side of the face? I couldn't tell). Also, Carley seemed to have forgotten that she had a gun and was instead trying to pester Lilly with word bullets.

• Well Carley a reporter i dont see her turning her back on drama lol:p

but if thats how they had her die o well.......

• @AceStarr said: Well Carley a reporter i dont see her turning her back on drama lol:p

but if thats how they had her die o well.......

Touche!

• The only problem I feel people have, myself included, is that the sacrifice of Carly and Doug was done solely to serve as a scapegoat for ejecting Lily (who will play an important part elsewhere in TWD Universe later) from the story.

It wreaks of poor narrative development; I would even go so far as to say no attempts were made to find another way because of deadlines, i.e. dropping an episode once a month.

Had Carly or Doug's death had genuine meaning, even if it seemed senseless at the time, then I think the outrage would be less. Had Tell Tale wanted to see the characters to their respective death it would have been better to allow more develop time with them and have said death occur in the final episode.

• But who didnt wish shed offed Ben instead? Who didnt know he was the traitor? Anyone?

• @ComixFan said: The only problem I feel people have, myself included, is that the sacrifice of Carly and Doug was done solely to serve as a scapegoat for ejecting Lily (who will play an important part elsewhere in TWD Universe later) from the story.

Exactly my point! Their deaths are not pointless, they serve to affect other characters. BTW, I think there's more to Lilly's involvement than just "being ejected from the story." I think that Lilly is coming back, and depending on how you treat her after she gets all trigger-happy will determine how she comes back.

Had Carly or Doug's death had genuine meaning, even if it seemed senseless at the time, then I think the outrage would be less. Had Tell Tale wanted to see the characters to their respective death it would have been better to allow more develop time with them and have said death occur in the final episode.

Yet it was STILL heart-wrenching to see them go. That despair you feel happens all the time when we look at the real world and see meaningless there too. Let's just let the storytellers do their job; they developed Carley and Doug as much as they wanted to. Now it's time to develop more characters and keep the revolving doors swinging.

• This is the damn zombie apocalypse. Not everyone will get a chance to get an appropriate send-off. I had a budding relationship with Carley, and the game really made me think that was going to go somewhere and then they hit me with her death like a truck. This episode is all about how you can't always take control of what's happening around you, it's about how you react to situations that are out of control. Lilly killing Carley made my Lee go over the edge and abandon Lilly, despite their respective relationship. Lee is learning the hard way what lengths he has to go through to keep his loved ones safe, even if that means taking a pragmatic approach to survival. Carley/Doug's death wasn't a result of lazy writing. It was meant to serve as a catalyst for Lee's determination and a reminder that things will not always go how you planned. Most of the original group is dead and those that remain have blood on their hands. Lee has to learn to deal with people he's had bad blood with instead of cooperating with those that agree with him. I think that fact makes it a very beautiful thing. We all fantasize about how we'd hand-pick our survival group and kick anyone out who didn't agree with us. In the real world you have to deal with people who are absolute idiots or assholes, and The Walking Dead is acknowledging that.

Add Comment