User Avatar Image

[SPOILERS] Ep. 3 Carley/Doug... Relax.

posted by Fiddle Diddle on - last edited - Viewed by 1.5K users

Alright alright, I realize that a lot of you are upset about (please go away if you haven't played ep. 3) Carley and Doug. As far as I can tell, only about 101% of you think that what happened in ep. 3 was lazy screenplay. However, I think it'd be better for everyone's sanity if we just try to interpret this differently.

Carley and Doug are cool, but let's face it, they're minor characters. Despite this, they're still not the same character, so stop calling them Carley/Doug. There is at least one big difference I can think of: Carley insists that you share your past with the group. I haven't done my Doug play-through yet but I can't imagine him doing the same because he simply doesn't know about you. I'll rescind this if somebody is willing to correct me here.

Yet still, they are minor characters. They don't have *much* time to develop (well, at least more than Chet, come on people), and they pretty much kick the bucket in identical fashion. Their fate still serves a purpose though. Admit it, your jaw dropped. It was shocking. But more than that, it represents the imminent disintegration of the group.

Most importantly, we should be thinking of what happened to Carley and Doug less in terms of themselves and more in terms of what it means to other, more substantial characters. Without spoiling anything else, Lilly and Ben in particular will be affected depending on how you handle things.

So, no, stop it, don't angrily slam your keyboard against the wall. Go outside for a walk, take a deep breath, admit that I'm right :cool:

55 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @PuhChewyChomp said: But who didnt wish shed offed Ben instead? Who didnt know he was the traitor? Anyone?

Admittedly, I replayed that part of the episode like 5 times in an effort to either prevent anyone from dying or just get Ben killed instead. After I figured that it was impossible to save Carley, I figured that I better side with Poor Ben because I knew that he'd be sticking with me.

• On the train when he said 'it was me' I wanted a dialogue option of 'NO SHIT' and was mad when Lee didnt throw him off the train when he was talking about doing it. I would have.

• @Fiddle Diddle said: Admittedly, I replayed that part of the episode like 5 times in an effort to either prevent anyone from dying or just get Ben killed instead. After I figured that it was impossible to save Carley, I figured that I better side with Poor Ben because I knew that he'd be sticking with me.

lol you're not the only one. I was stunned when Carley died but then again life isn't always fair.

I'm still mad I didn't get dat booty though *bites lower lip*.:cool:

• @ItsMeArmani said: lol you're not the only one. I was stunned when Carley died but then again life isn't always fair.

I'm still mad I didn't get dat booty though *bites lower lip*.:cool:

I know I'm not the only one who wanted to see what she meant when she told me not to call her small :cool:

• I feel the overall episode was not as strong. Narrative or script wise as Episode 1 or Episode 2, but I was grateful for the length of the episode.

I am one of the few people that saved Doug, and Doug players really got screwed here. I built a good friendship with him, and he was useful. Every instance in the plot made more sense with Doug in contrast to Carley, in regards the scenarios and transitions. Whereas everything felt rushed and slap-dash with Carley.

I knew Ben was the one giving the bandits the medicine, I knew it in my heart but I couldn't prove it. I should have sided with Lily, but I realise there is no saving Doug. Completely lazy screenplay in this episode.

Still, the chaotic nature, suddenness led me to choose that me and Clem are going our own way, the group is irreversibly damaged. I still cannot trust Kenny to be rational, and Ben I cannot trust him period after his bold face lies that cost a group member their life, trying to show mercy for him.

Also how did Clems walkie get fixed?! There was only one person who could have fixed it and it was Doug! Another lazy decision from Tell-Tale. If players chose Carley they should never even hear the man on the Walkie-Talkie, they should be in the dark. As usual rewarding players, instead of making choices matter; Grow a back-bone please.

• As I stated in Logic says the Doug/Carly Will Die in Ep 3 to all the people who thought Telltale actually used the choice method properly... HA

I was rite, there is no real choice; they are not skilled enough to turn out a game monthly that includes great choice moments that actually mean something within the game.

Instead you get fake choices.

Moments that seem like choices - masked to the slightly more dim when in actuality they have no effect apart from a few different dialogue choices.

Like save Shaun
    Save Larry
    Kill the brothers
    Save doug or carly etc

But they continue to talk about how choice changes the game for each player; I'm surprised if anyone will still listen to this, glad I didn't invest in ep2 or 3.
    Basically its like a film but you can change ever so slightly a few things the characters say... "Immense"

• @NeonBlade said: Also how did Clems walkie get fixed?! There was only one person who could have fixed it and it was Doug! Another lazy decision from Tell-Tale. If players chose Carley they should never even hear the man on the Walkie-Talkie, they should be in the dark. As usual rewarding players, instead of making choices matter; Grow a back-bone please.

I can't really remember much about it in Episode 1 but my guess is that it was never broken and the man speaking to Clementine told her to tell Lee it was broken. Don't you think Doug would have told Lee he fixed it?

• @Ja1862 said: As I stated in Logic says the Doug/Carly Will Die in Ep 3 to all the people who thought Telltale actually used the choice method properly... HA

I was rite, there is no real choice; they are not skilled enough to turn out a game monthly that includes great choice moments that actually mean something within the game.

Instead you get fake choices.

Moments that seem like choices - masked to the slightly more dim when in actuality they have no effect apart from a few different dialogue choices.

Like save Shaun
    Save Larry
    Kill the brothers
    Save doug or carly etc

But they continue to talk about how choice changes the game for each player; I'm surprised if anyone will still listen to this, glad I didn't invest in ep2 or 3.
    Basically its like a film but you can change ever so slightly a few things the characters say... "Immense"

Ummm... correct me if I'm misunderstanding your last words there, but did you just admit that you didn't even play episode 2 or 3? Because if that's the case, I think you're being a little dishonest by being so opinionated, no?

The choices DO make a difference, you just have to see how they affect the people you're traveling with rather than whine about how they don't change the actual situation much. And take it from someone who has a save for Carley and another for Doug, each save becomes radically different in Ep. 3 despite the fact that they each die.

• @Fiddle Diddle said: Ummm... correct me if I'm misunderstanding your last words there, but did you just admit that you didn't even play episode 2 or 3? Because if that's the case, I think you're being a little dishonest by being so opinionated, no?

The choices DO make a difference, you just have to see how they affect the people you're traveling with rather than whine about how they don't change the actual situation much. And take it from someone who has a save for Carley and another for Doug, each save becomes radically different in Ep. 3 despite the fact that they each die.

I agree, Ja1862 didn't even play the games and is being way too opinionated. He shouldn't even have a say in this if he didn't experience it. Anyways, I think the choices matter alot, I enjoy watching the different schenes that play out from different decisions you made in the past.

• He didn't say he didn't play the games, just that he didn't invest in them. Maybe he played it round a friends house? Even if he hasn't played them, there are plenty of walkthroughs available online where you can see the consequences of each choice.

Lets be honest, the choices barely matter. They might bring about a slight change in dialogue or effect a very minor part of the story for a short period, but all in all they don't make much difference. I understand why though, Telltale don't have the time or resources to make a game that branches out in multiple directions. Hence Doug/Carley barely appearing in Episode 2 and being killed off quickly in Episode 3. They didn't have the time to do a Doug and Carley version of every scene in Episode 2, so they came up with a way to not have them there at all for the majority. For every scene they're still alive in Episode 3, it again means having to do it all twice, so as soon as they could, they killed them off.

They've made an entertaining game that i've enjoyed a lot, but the choices we make effect the story only in the most minor, superficial way.

Add Comment