User Avatar Image

[SPOILERS from page 3]Logic says the Doug/Carly Will Die in Ep 3

posted by dankirk on - last edited - Viewed by 3.9K users

Since you chose to save one or the other in ep 1, then they are both expendable. It wouldn't make sense to build the complete story around which one you chose. I'm betting that whoever you saved in ep 1 will die in ep 3. Neither can be a main player.

73 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Hudomonkey said: Yes but in Mass effect 3 most decisions changed one character in one side quest

and we all know how the lack of difference in the ending of mass effect were so well received ;)

• @thestalkinghead said: and we all know how the lack of difference in the ending of mass effect were so well received ;)

I have the guide to ME3. There were 12 different endings. Four variations based on total readiness points and other factors of three different options. The problem was only three really had any noticeable difference and only 2 of those were seen by any number of people. And now with the free alternate ending they put out it clears some of the stuff people missed because of how quick it is (and because some people are dumb, lol, "oh an arm broke off the citadel, it must have exploded"...huh? That's like saying my toaster isn't plugged in, it must be broken, and almost as bad as Carley not knowing how to change batteries). And as far as the differences in quests there is one little quest you cannot even do if Kelly is dead, yeah it a side quest with little meaning but it's still there and there a bunch of those. If you didn't do the Bringing Down the Sky DLC then you miss out on a bunch of readiness points and a small side quest.

But that's a different topic altogether. My point in bringing that up is to point out that even a small difference is still a difference and means it does matter. From a programing perspective even just having two different possible characters in a scene means a lot, let alone have the scene be different in other ways two.

• @JCMcAdams84 said: I have the guide to ME3. There were 12 different endings. Four variations based on total readiness points and other factors of three different options. The problem was only three really had any noticeable difference and only 2 of those were seen by any number of people. And now with the free alternate ending they put out it clears some of the stuff people missed because of how quick it is (and because some people are dumb, lol, "oh an arm broke off the citadel, it must have exploded"...huh? That's like saying my toaster isn't plugged in, it must be broken, and almost as bad as Carley not knowing how to change batteries). And as far as the differences in quests there is one little quest you cannot even do if Kelly is dead, yeah it a side quest with little meaning but it's still there and there a bunch of those. If you didn't do the Bringing Down the Sky DLC then you miss out on a bunch of readiness points and a small side quest.

But that's a different topic altogether. My point in bringing that up is to point out that even a small difference is still a difference and means it does matter. From a programing perspective even just having two different possible characters in a scene means a lot, let alone have the scene be different in other ways two.

but the thing is, i dont care how hard it is to programme different endings (endings a normal person would actually say was different) i play the game and if it is the same but someone had a different hat on its not different, i want a difference as in, i would watch an ending someone else did and i would say "wow, i didnt know you could go there, and whos that? and what happened to him? that is so different to my game" not "so its the same but you have a blue hat instead of a red one :(" something you could describe as a branching story is what i want

• @thestalkinghead said: but the thing is, i dont care how hard it is to programme different endings (endings a normal person would actually say was different) i play the game and if it is the same but someone had a different hat on its not different, i want a difference as in, i would watch an ending someone else did and i would say "wow, i didnt know you could go there, and whos that? and what happened to him? that is so different to my game" not "so its the same but you have a blue hat instead of a red one :(" something you could describe as a branching story is what i want

Okay, I get that, you want more substantial differences. I'm just used to people saying, "There are no differences at all," and not acknowledging that there are differences. I can agree that if in episode 5 the only difference in cosmetic I'll be a little mad, I want something more by then too. Like Clem or Lee's survival depending on things you did or did not do in earlier episodes or the like.

• Casualties have been a big part of TWD, comics, tv series and the comics alike. We thought we would have a long running rivalry between Larry and Lee but look what happened.

storm's coming guys, just dont get too attached to anyone, as they are TellTale's to take away.

That being said, I want Doug to be a part of my group as it sets my save apart from all of my friend's saves, that and we have yet to see any solid benefit picking one over the other.

• @TheWaltzingBread said: Casualties have been a big part of TWD, comics, tv series and the comics alike. We thought we would have a long running rivalry between Larry and Lee but look what happened.

storm's coming guys, just dont get too attached to anyone, as they are TellTale's to take away.

That being said, I want Doug to be a part of my group as it sets my save apart from all of my friend's saves, that and we have yet to see any solid benefit picking one over the other.

Spoilers! Have no idea how to do spoiler tags so SPOILER!
    SPOILER
    SPOILER
    SPOILER
    SPOILER
    SPOILER
    Ok....
    Guess what? Carley/Doug DOES die in Ep3 :eek:
    Sorta feels cheap...

• @Viner16 said: Spoilers! Have no idea how to do spoiler tags so SPOILER!
    SPOILER
    SPOILER
    SPOILER
    SPOILER
    SPOILER
    Ok....
    Guess what? Carley/Doug DOES die in Ep3 :eek:
    Sorta feels cheap...

It was. As I stated previously while I doubted she would I mentioned that I could accept it if said demise did not feel like a writing cop-out. Sadly, it very much did. Given the arrival into the group of Crysta and Omid it's obvious the writers did not wish to continue to have to create two ongoing stories for Carly/Doug.

I sincerely believed they were better then that and stated as much previously. I was, clearly, mistaken. Given this lackluster attempt to emulate the tragic important character losses in Robert Kirkman's series, I doubt I will be continuing to purchase the next episodes.

Again had Carly died with any sense of meaning (even a senseless death can be done with poignancy) I could have moved on, sad at the loss. However I simply can not forgive poor writing. It was the same with Mass Effect 3, i.e. a horrid ending full of plot holes and loose reasoning disguised as dramatic pathos. I received a refund for ME3 but, for TWD, I will consider the first two episodes worth the expense and just move on.

• Spoilerssssss

Sorry guys but I’m right as usual.

Well, I love how it feels when you can tell something’s going to happen before it does, I knew Telltale would cop-out on this, I knew the choices meant nothing but most of all I knew that some posters would say stuff like “Nah that won’t happen” / “how can you judge the games choices on the first 2 episodes” etc

I feel sorry for the few people within this forum that actually thought Telltale would deliver on this…

• @Ja1862 said: Spoilerssssss

Sorry guys but I’m right as usual.

Well, I love how it feels when you can tell something’s going to happen before it does, I knew Telltale would cop-out on this, I knew the choices meant nothing but most of all I knew that some posters would say stuff like “Nah that won’t happen” / “how can you judge the games choices on the first 2 episodes” etc

I feel sorry for the few people within this forum that actually thought Telltale would deliver on this…

Oh grow up. You didn't "know" anything. It's amusing to say I told you so, but let's just admit, there was no "logical basis" to your claims, you guessed and got lucky.

• @skepticalguy90 said: Oh grow up. You didn't "know" anything. It's amusing to say I told you so, but let's just admit, there was no "logical basis" to your claims, you guessed and got lucky.

Exactly.

Add Comment