User Avatar Image

[SPOILERS] Ep. 3 Carley/Doug... Relax.

posted by Fiddle Diddle on - last edited - Viewed by 1.4K users

Alright alright, I realize that a lot of you are upset about (please go away if you haven't played ep. 3) Carley and Doug. As far as I can tell, only about 101% of you think that what happened in ep. 3 was lazy screenplay. However, I think it'd be better for everyone's sanity if we just try to interpret this differently.

Carley and Doug are cool, but let's face it, they're minor characters. Despite this, they're still not the same character, so stop calling them Carley/Doug. There is at least one big difference I can think of: Carley insists that you share your past with the group. I haven't done my Doug play-through yet but I can't imagine him doing the same because he simply doesn't know about you. I'll rescind this if somebody is willing to correct me here.

Yet still, they are minor characters. They don't have *much* time to develop (well, at least more than Chet, come on people), and they pretty much kick the bucket in identical fashion. Their fate still serves a purpose though. Admit it, your jaw dropped. It was shocking. But more than that, it represents the imminent disintegration of the group.

Most importantly, we should be thinking of what happened to Carley and Doug less in terms of themselves and more in terms of what it means to other, more substantial characters. Without spoiling anything else, Lilly and Ben in particular will be affected depending on how you handle things.

So, no, stop it, don't angrily slam your keyboard against the wall. Go outside for a walk, take a deep breath, admit that I'm right :cool:

55 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I was more upset lily abandoned me and clem. But killing Dougley was kinda shitty. Lets get rid of all the women except the drag queen.

• @Ja1862 said: As I stated in Logic says the Doug/Carly Will Die in Ep 3 to all the people who thought Telltale actually used the choice method properly... HA

I was rite, there is no real choice; they are not skilled enough to turn out a game monthly that includes great choice moments that actually mean something within the game.

Instead you get fake choices.

Moments that seem like choices - masked to the slightly more dim when in actuality they have no effect apart from a few different dialogue choices.

Like save Shaun
    Save Larry
    Kill the brothers
    Save doug or carly etc

But they continue to talk about how choice changes the game for each player; I'm surprised if anyone will still listen to this, glad I didn't invest in ep2 or 3.
    Basically its like a film but you can change ever so slightly a few things the characters say... "Immense"

GAA I'm trying to find out what happens if you kill both the saint jhon bro's and lilly stays behind there...COULD THAT BE A WAY TO SAVE THEM!??!

• @spymanx said: GAA I'm trying to find out what happens if you kill both the saint jhon bro's and lilly stays behind there...COULD THAT BE A WAY TO SAVE THEM!??!

It doesn't matter if you kill them or don't kill them. Nothing changes storywise. Apparently it changes the way the others feel about you, but as far as i'm aware there's nothing in episode 3 that indicates anyone behaves any differently towards you if you killed them both.

In fact from what I can remember, I don't think what happened there is even mentioned at all. Apart from when Lee is convincing Clem to cut her hair and he reminds her Andy St John grabbed her by it.

• Hopefully TellTale will go all-out by Episode 5 because it is the last episode, they can cut all loose strings and start fresh for Season 2 :D

• The whole game so far I'v been supporting lilly and carley an now there both gone, I think they should have had an option to have ben shot instead of carley, The group is so small now, depressing

• User Avatar Image
    shammack Telltale Staff

The group is so small now

You're small!

• @Bcroft said: The group is so small now, depressing

It truly is, not to mention emotionally and mentally fractured. I'm hoping Tell-Tale give us a respite from the death in Episode 4. I want tension, dread, ugliness, conflict, human condition exposed with flaws, but no more deaths please, atleast in Ep4. Give us an ease. Of course. Then go ass-cheek spread wide crazy in Ep5.

• @Fiddle Diddle said: Exactly my point! Their deaths are not pointless, they serve to affect other characters. BTW, I think there's more to Lilly's involvement than just "being ejected from the story." I think that Lilly is coming back, and depending on how you treat her after she gets all trigger-happy will determine how she comes back.

That would be interesting, but I believe they're going in opposite directions. I think she's heading northwest and the train is going southeast.

I don't understand why, if the point was to get rid of Lilly, they didn't just have Kenny drive off and leave her behind at the motel. That seemed to be what was about to happen before she miraculously ran downstairs, through the parking lot, and into the RV as it was pulling away.

I think of Doug and Carley as separate people who fulfill almost exactly the same role. One uses a laser pointer and the other uses a gun. One rigs an alarm and the other screams. Both get shot. Inconsequential dialogue choices aside, they're basically interchangeable. It's just disappointing there couldn't have been at least two puzzles that used their differing skill sets. One puzzle would be easy if you saved Doug and the other is hard with him, and vice versa with Carley.

• @Joe Newberry said: couldn't have been at least two puzzles that used their differing skill sets. One puzzle would be easy if you saved Doug and the other is hard with him, and vice versa with Carley.

Doug would have really loved to see the train. Sigh...:(

Miss you bro...

• @NeonBlade said: Doug would have really loved to see the train. Sigh...:(

Miss your bro...

Damn it. He would have, wouldn't he? :(

That just makes it even more depressing.

Add Comment