User Avatar Image

US Elections 2012

posted by JordyLicht on - last edited - Viewed by 356 users

Hi guys,

I have no idea if you're interested in politics at all, if you're thinking about voting, etc.
The major consensus in Europe seems to be: why would anyone in their right mind vote for Mitt Romney, being a Mormon, anti abortion, etc.
I admit I am a total n00b when it comes to American politics, so I'm sure I'll say dumbass things, but I just wanted to see if anyone can shed some light on this topic.
Back in 2004, people outside the US (and probably inside as well) raised their eyebrows and just couldn't believe Bush was chosen for a second term. I believe this will probably happen again if Romney is elected... a big WTF from across the pond.

32 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • You'll probably find most people on this section of the board sympathetic to your thoughts. Not sure anyone is pro "less health care, less women's rights, more anti minority rhetoric" around here.

• Being mormon absolutely shouldnt change if you would vote for them or not. Many genuinely kind and intellegent people ive known were mormon. My sister is radder than ever and she's mormon. Just ask anyone who knows her.

• User Avatar Image
    divisionten Moderator

Seconding that his religion has no effect on my vote. Mormon, Muslim, Buddhist- it's not the label but what you do with yourself that I'm more concerned with.

• Religion should not be part of politics in my opinion.
    Running a country should be based on facts and not on stories, but that's just me.

• Im not saying it should. Im saying it's stupid to judge a person's credentials by thier religion alone. Look at JFK, for pete's sake.

• TBH if politicians never talked about religion I'd be happy. I love Jesus, but he doesn't love politics.

• I havent been mormon in a long time but it still makes me mad that people use that against him. I dont even like him but it makes me mad.

• I wouldn't care about a candidate's religion, except for the fact that there is a distinct correlation between a politician's religion and their policy.

More bluntly, the more religious candidates tend to be anti-women, anti-LGBT, and anti-science. And they mask it under the veneer of being pro-life, pro-family, and pro-religion. Basically, I'm not cool with that. Whenever there's a super-religious candidate who doesn't have those stances, I'll alter my opinion.

• @Alcoremortis said: I wouldn't care about a candidate's religion, except for the fact that there is a distinct correlation between a politician's religion and their policy.

More bluntly, the more religious candidates tend to be anti-women, anti-LGBT, and anti-science. And they mask it under the veneer of being pro-life, pro-family, and pro-religion. Basically, I'm not cool with that. Whenever there's a super-religious candidate who doesn't have those stances, I'll alter my opinion.

I consider myself super religous, but the GOP would probably consider me a heathen :)

• @DAISHI said: I consider myself super religous, but the GOP would probably consider me a heathen :)

This is why I put the "candidates" bit in there. For some reason, it seems that politics brings out the worst of religion. As soon as a guy or gal gets up to that podium, it's like all that stuff about loving your neighbor and trying to live a good life gives way to new and creative ways of using religious texts to outcast more people.

And the worst thing is, is that normally fine, moderate religious people lap it up. They see pro-life or Catholic or pro-family on the voting ticket and blindly vote for whoever snapped up that stance without even considering the rest of the package.

I'd be happier if candidates were forbidden to reveal their religion in the election. Just to make things more about the issues.

Add Comment