User Avatar Image

[SPOILERS] Ep. 3 Carley/Doug... Relax.

posted by Fiddle Diddle on - last edited - Viewed by 2.4K users

Alright alright, I realize that a lot of you are upset about (please go away if you haven't played ep. 3) Carley and Doug. As far as I can tell, only about 101% of you think that what happened in ep. 3 was lazy screenplay. However, I think it'd be better for everyone's sanity if we just try to interpret this differently.

Carley and Doug are cool, but let's face it, they're minor characters. Despite this, they're still not the same character, so stop calling them Carley/Doug. There is at least one big difference I can think of: Carley insists that you share your past with the group. I haven't done my Doug play-through yet but I can't imagine him doing the same because he simply doesn't know about you. I'll rescind this if somebody is willing to correct me here.

Yet still, they are minor characters. They don't have *much* time to develop (well, at least more than Chet, come on people), and they pretty much kick the bucket in identical fashion. Their fate still serves a purpose though. Admit it, your jaw dropped. It was shocking. But more than that, it represents the imminent disintegration of the group.

Most importantly, we should be thinking of what happened to Carley and Doug less in terms of themselves and more in terms of what it means to other, more substantial characters. Without spoiling anything else, Lilly and Ben in particular will be affected depending on how you handle things.

So, no, stop it, don't angrily slam your keyboard against the wall. Go outside for a walk, take a deep breath, admit that I'm right :cool:

55 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I agree with him. You don't have to play the episodes to realize the choices aren't really choices. I have enjoyed the game immensely but that's been my biggest complain so far. You can change the scenes around a little bit with the different choices, but the story itself wasn't really changed all that much.

The Doug/Carly decision has been the most distinctive difference between different play throughs and by effectively "erasing it", it's not only thrown everybody back into playing the same game with the same characters (not to mention that was pretty much the only incentive to replay episodes up until now, to see how Doug/Carly would react) it's also kind of firmly established this trend of "fake choices".

The biggest thing you can do with a game about "choices" is to have a choice made at the beginning of the game that significantly alters the story and it's events from the beginning all the way to the end... and that's not happening now so it's understandable for some people to be upset about it. The game's plot will be a lot more simplified now and worse for it until the next "fake choice" comes along.

It's not just a zombie apocalypse game, it's a game zombie apocalypse game about characters and choices and when people like Ja1862 can see a bait and switch coming two episodes before it happens, well that's not a good thing in either genre.

• If TTG were to truly have branching plots it would essentially mean they are developing 2 games - one for Carley and one for Doug. Imagine how much longer that would take to release.

After all this and season 2, it would be awesome if they developed a full fledged AAA The Walking Dead game with branching narratives. I could see myself putting 40 hours+ into that.

• @Awesoke said: If TTG were to truly have branching plots it would essentially mean they are developing 2 games - one for Carley and one for Doug. Imagine how much longer that would take to release.

I'd much rather wait a longer period of time and be totally enthralled in developed character progression, then have a faux-choice of protection and camaraderie between people, when all they do is die anyways, in a train wreck of a fashion. Like really, Carley had the least amount of screen time in ep. 2, but when she did show up, she always held it down. It made me lose my motivation to purchase any new episodes, because, besides Clem, Who gives a shit anymore. I know she will be until the 5th episode by looking at the episode photo. Only person I cared about besides Clem was Carley, and by the reaction of others on forums, and youtube comments alike, it's a real low blow to fans of the game, thus far.

I can understand her dying in a later episode though, to add to the loss of attachment toward her character, but episode 2... No, too soon.

This could have been a more memorable moment in ''gaming history,'' such as Aeris' death in FF7, but was probably decided she die so they can cut corners on production, and instead quickly generate a surprisingly linear story with forgettable characters like a football jock who replaced a bad ass woman and potentially blooming love interest.

I'll miss you Carley.

• @Awesoke said: If TTG were to truly have branching plots it would essentially mean they are developing 2 games - one for Carley and one for Doug. Imagine how much longer that would take to release.

After all this and season 2, it would be awesome if they developed a full fledged AAA The Walking Dead game with branching narratives. I could see myself putting 40 hours+ into that.

When you have a game with choices, branching plots generally come with the territory.

It wouldn't be like making two games, it actually wouldn't be any different then what they do now. Multiple lines of dialog and events are set to appear depending on the value of certain variables (the statistics on the choices you've made) this would just affect a character's actual appearance along with that, but yes it would've been more work.

It's not the end of the world either way. I would definitely take good story telling over "the illusion of choice" so if it works, more power to them. It just seems to me like episode 3 moved the entire series BACKWARDS, not forward. It seems like they took most of the interesting characters and relationships and... well killed them off or got rid of them and replaced them with two cut out recycled ones.

If the game doesn't have branching story lines going for it (in which case every single choice is going to turn out to be a fake choice) then it only has it's story so I hope they throw in some interesting characters to replace all the good ones they threw out. Here's hoping for episode 4.

• meh i just think its case of resources. They arent main characters so it would cost to much to have them around. So they did the best of it, did it had an affect on me? yes. espacially when they hinted on a romance with carley, which i guess was just to feel an attachment when they later killed her off.

• It is sad indeed that they took away not only Lilly bur also Carly from me.

But well, maybe now they will be able to complete the episodes on time since they don't have to write two characters in one...

• To be fair, I wasn't that surprised at Carly's death. The gunshot at the end of the 'next time' thing pretty much gave away that someone was going to die.

Carly also called Lily a 'stupid scared little bitch' (or something along those lines) moments before she was shot. When I saw Lily reach for her gun, I knew that if anyone was going to die, it would be Carly.

• Seems like a lot of choices are futile. It's understandable why the choices would take you to the same places but, for the most part it doesn't just seem geographically. The things you say and do only come back to haunt you once at most.

Carley/Doug was never going to make it all the way. Especially with the amount of shortcuts Telltale will need to take to keep their fans interested until the end of the series. All teh characters and their seeming "invisible affection points" appear to be undoable. That's what's starting to indo the series for me.

You get the chance to take a lot of things back. Only the very worst occurences are forced on you.

I feel that Clem might truly carry something over from each episode, but that'll be the extent. And being that it'll only come to show in Ep 5, it'll be very short term, and right now, is very VERY far off.

Edit: (!) Carley will remember your support for... nevermind she's dead.

• I don't mind they killed carley but, i believe doug and carley should have least lasted till Ep. 5 or Ep 4. not because they should not die, but because more time to get attached while still being around familiar faces you trust. Now i just feel screw liking them they will die. Even if this is walking dead universe he at least waits to the climax of an ark to kill of characters you like.

Add Comment