User Avatar Image

[SPOILERS]The Walking Dead Episode 3 REVIEW Thread

posted by Vainamoinen on - last edited - Viewed by 20K users

Post your impressions of the episode here!

SPOILERS are allowed, no spoiler tags necessary, so if you did not play the episode yet, keep out for your own sake! ;)

No spamming please - if you haven't played it yet, keep out!

509 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • WORST EPISODE EVER!!!

I was so deeply attached with Carley and Katjaa and they will just end up in a stupid cause of death.

You may think I'm overreacting but my heart feels kinda heavy right now. I guess I just can't accept the truth that Carley and Kat are never coming back. ( SIGH )

There's no point for me to buy Episode 4 and 5 anymore because episode 3 is the end of my journey.

• "The Walking Dead: Episode 3 – Long Road Ahead illustrates, more than any episode in the series so far, how it is the little moments – and what you read into them – that define the experience for each player. The occasional technical glitch – and release delays – can be forgiven. At this midway point in the story, players are defining just how far they would go to save themselves – or to protect the person who depends on them the most. No matter what happens, I know I will protect this little girl. Whatever gets thrown at us – cannibals, bandits, thieves, zombies – I will make sure she survives. Despite video games instilling into me for years that I need to survive to win, I would die for Clementine. Would you?"

http://alternativemagazineonline.co.uk/2012/08/31/game-review-the-walking-dead-episode-3-long-road-ahead-pc/

• @ZombieBlaster said: WORST EPISODE EVER!!!

I was so deeply attached with Carley and Katjaa and they will just end up in a stupid cause of death.

You may think I'm overreacting but my heart feels kinda heavy right now. I guess I just can't accept the truth that Carley and Kat are never coming back. ( SIGH )

There's no point for me to buy Episode 4 and 5 anymore because episode 3 is the end of my journey.

So you are whining your favorite character died? You do realise that is how Walking Dead is? Robert Kirkman gleefully made an entire comic about the #1 fan favorite being beaten to death senselessly with a baseball bat. Watch that, and then tell me how bad you will feel.

• @Gman5852 said: So you are whining your favorite character died? You do realise that is how Walking Dead is? Robert Kirkman gleefully made an entire comic about the #1 fan favorite being beaten to death senselessly with a baseball bat. Watch that, and then tell me how bad you will feel.

Crazy, huh?

That's a glowing review to the writers.

@ZombieBlaster said: There's no point for me to buy Episode 4 and 5 anymore because episode 3 is the end of my journey.

Somehow I doubt that.

• Really? I thought this one was lame. It never really gripped me as the other 2 did. Oh well.

• First let me get the negative comments out of the way:

1. The release was again quite late.
    2. PC version players, who did pre-order did again have no advantage and were again served AFTER a console.
    3. The download of the pc version was difficult. The connection was lost around 20 times and I had to start again and again downloading it.
    4. Lilly shooting Carley seemed very manufactured. I didn't quite believe her sudden hate for her.
    5. With Carley, Lilly and Katja gone there is only Clem left as a likeable character.
    6. How did Clems radio work over such a long distance?

That said, I would like to state that TTG did in my opinion once more a great job with the game itself. Here are my thoughts about episode 3:

1. Depris? „Hmmmmmmmmmmmm“
    2. It was good to kill off Duck. He was a strange element in the mix and simply annoying. His stupidity and good mood were a bit displaced in a world like this. It had a nice touch though that TTG made him more likeable with the whole mystery puzzle. Like this I almost felt sad for him. Let's hope there are no bugs in heaven.
    3. The suicide of Katja (why double „a“ at the end ?) was surprising. I liked her because she was quite reasonable and helpful. Anyway, surprises like this are good.
    4. The flirt with Carley on the balcony and the running gag with the batteries were fun. „You're small!“. Yes, she had to go because it would have been too complicated to keep both characters at the same time, but it's sad to lose the best character next to Clem :( There will be something missing in the future episodes. Let's hope there are no devices needing batteries in heaven.
    5. The dream about Clementine being a walker must have been taken from the forums here :) Respect! The fear about close people becoming one of them must be present in ones mind all the time and cause a lot of stress. I liked that sequence!
    6. Using a train as a way of transport seems to be quite a refreshing idea to me. Nicely done. But I somehow doubt that it would still work after such a long time.
    7. The action scene with shooting bandits and walkers was a welcomed change in gameplay. It gets a bit boring just hitting walkers in the head with some random stuff.
    8. Teaching Clementine to survive is a nice development. It might be cruel to force a kid to grow up like that, but it's probably best to highten the chances of survival. I would have cut her hair even more though. Making her look like a boy might be a smart thing to do considering rapers etc.

Suggestions:
    1. Make Lee find a letter from Carley in one of his pockets. Depending on the relationship the content could be some kind of love confession or a warning or something (In case I don't make it...). It would be nice to hear the voice actor read the letter one last time. That would be a better goodbye, than Lee more or less just ignoring her death.
    2. Please implement more scenes, where Lee needs to shoot walkers or people. Maybe you could make it more tactical, if Lee would have limited bullets and would have to make the people fight the walkers and then just makes sure that both sides loose.
    3. Please implement a lot of team puzzles with Clementine. Cut the interactions with the other characters and focus more on Clem. The other surviving people aren't interesting to me anymore. Omar and Claire or Christa or whatever don't seem appealing to me.
    4. Lee could be teaching Clem a lot of small things like lighting a fire or how to best get rid of a walker in different situations. Maybe he could explain diversions and how to use walkers against bad living people. „A walker is a force of nature. It has no intelligence and just acts on the instinct to feed. It is a huge danger, but it's possible to control them by using baites, diversions and noise. Once you might encounter bad people and because they're stronger, you might need to use the walkers against them. So try to learn how they behave and what they react to. You're sharpest weapon is your mind, Clementine“
    5. Lee should make Clem a useful gift. Instead of just giving her food and caps and hoodies, he should give her a knife and explain how to use it as a tool and as a weapon. If not as a weapon, then a Swiss army knife might be nice. She could use the screwdriver to open stuff. Having a little McGuyver might be useful.

• @Gman5852 said: fan favorite being beaten to death senselessly with a baseball bat

i almost cried

You'll buy it, 100 percent guaranteed.

• @stoney79 said: i almost cried

It's the Walking Dead...
    more appropiately known as "Your Favourite Character Will Die." :(:(:(

Add Comment