User Avatar Image

Episode 3 ruined everything

posted by falcon168 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.5K users

The first time I'm not looking forward to new release at all. If it comes out, I'll play, if not, I'm not bothered. Well done TTG! episode 3 ruined everthing and also appeared everything about that fake choice making.

193 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I think if players want infinite choices, they should stop playing The Walking Dead and go outside on a real adventure in the real world. If Telltale programmed every possible decision and outcome, the games would never release - and people already get grumpy when there are delays. Yes, ultimately it's a linear game - but the illusion of choice and influencing the story is absolutely fantastic.

• @martymcfly said: I think if players want infinite choices, they should stop playing The Walking Dead and go outside on a real adventure in the real world. If Telltale programmed every possible decision and outcome, the games would never release - and people already get grumpy when there are delays. Yes, ultimately it's a linear game - but the illusion of choice and influencing the story is absolutely fantastic.

/agree

• but the illusion of choice and influencing the story is absolutely fantastic.

Illusion. Other games that say you can influence the story are not lying.

Geez look at Blade Runner the game...

• @Strayth said: Illusion. Other games that say you can influence the story are not lying.

Geez look at Blade Runner the game...

I reviewed Blade Runner: The Game for Adventure Classic Gaming a few years ago. Superb experience - but I don't get what your point is? The influence over Ray McCoy's decisions is still an illusion - most of the major player-specific plot divergences come right at the very end, which is a lot easier to do than in the middle of a game.

• Honestly at the end of episode 3, what is the difference between anyone's save?

• @skepticalguy90 said: Honestly at the end of episode 3, what is the difference between anyone's save?

The emotions you felt. A character that died - and meant something to me - might have meant something completely different to you, or even been a different character entirely. In my save, I feel like I have protected Clementine every step of the way - did you? If these small nuances aren't enough for you then of course that's fine, but I think it's a shame because they are what make The Walking Dead - at least for me personally - so special.

• @martymcfly said: I reviewed Blade Runner: The Game for Adventure Classic Gaming a few years ago. Superb experience - but I don't get what your point is? The influence over Ray McCoy's decisions is still an illusion - most of the major player-specific plot divergences come right at the very end, which is a lot easier to do than in the middle of a game.

To add to that, the smaller differences throughout blade runner were randomly generated at the start of each game, which is actually the game affecting your choices rather than your choices affecting the game.

• The problem for me is they make little difference the game. Carley's/ Doug's death felt like an easy way to avoid the extra hassle to me

• Totally agree with topicstarter. Lack of choices? Its not about that. This game has plenty of choices. BUT decisions are not worth anything. They DONT MATTER. No matter if u choose to save Duck or Shawn, they both die and u cant do anything about it. No matter if u choose to save Doug or Carley, they both die. No matter if u help Kenny or Lilly when Larry is about to die, he WILL die anyway and your relationship with Lilly wont change anyhow - she still will go crazy and kill either Doug or Carley and u cant do anything about her staying in the group. Should I continue? I can hardly think of decisions that really matter at this game. Besides dialogue options that makes you either asshole or lifesaver. I dont argue that this game is great in terms of storytelling and drama but decisions that you make throughout it just... I just dont feel that they matter. Oh well maybe I will change my opinion after episodes 4 and 5 but that is how I see that after episode 3.

• @martymcfly said: I think if players want infinite choices, they should stop playing The Walking Dead. [...] If Telltale programmed every possible decision and outcome, the games would never release

Totally wrong. I don't want infinite choices. But yes I want 1 or 2 MAJOR choices that actually matter. So far, not a single choice -after 60% of the game 3/5 episodes- mattered. Nothing had any impact. At all.

We don't want every decision to completely branch the story and telltale having to make 50 different cutscenes etc. But at least make the player feel in 1 or 2 occasions that his choice actually DID matter. And DID change something. Because as of now there are no signs of this ever happening and that is a huge disappointment.

Add Comment