User Avatar Image

Episode 3 - Where have you died? [Spoilers]

posted by greenj2 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.3K users

Come on, admit it. :D

I died once when the bandits were holding the group hostage at the motor inn. I took too long responding and they fed me a lead salad for the trouble.

I also died about 6 times in a row to the pair of zombies in the boarded-up train station, though I blame that on poor game mechanics. I kept trying to pick up the weapon on the floor but Lee would just 'look' at it. I assumed I wasn't close enough to reach it. Took me a while to notice that you actually have to manually change your cursor function from 'look' to 'pick up'. I hate 2 on 1 zombie boxing. XD

48 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Sir Craigius said: Died once, in the train station. I thought we were supposed to go through the door, not pick up the wrench, and got my guts ripped out.

You tried to leave Clem behind? You bastard!

• @greenj2 said:

I also died about 6 times in a row to the pair of zombies in the boarded-up train station, though I blame that on poor game mechanics. I kept trying to pick up the weapon on the floor but Lee would just 'look' at it. I assumed I wasn't close enough to reach it. Took me a while to notice that you actually have to manually change your cursor function from 'look' to 'pick up'. I hate 2 on 1 zombie boxing. XD

Same!
    After a while I even started punching both zombies waiting for clem to shoot...

• I died 3 times in the trainstation because the controls wouldn't let me pick up the wrench.

• The trainstation, PC version. Multiple times. Similar story to a lot of people here. Fortunately I pulled off the rest of the episode, before and after, flawlessly.

-Need to back off from zombies. I need to press W to back off from the zombies. I press S before letting the note sink into my thick skull. As if to press movement from the perspective the character was facing instead of the camera. "Woops, won't happen again."

-Round 2. See that the zombies are punchable. Thought it might be necessary with the assumption it might buy more time to reach the wrench. Had too much fun with it in the hopes Clem might get some target practice in. It really didn't buy much more time. "LOOK! At what these zombies can do with my intestines Clem! Are you seeing this? Do you want have a go!?! Because it's your turn next. I may even it do for you myself. If you worried about me cutting your f***ing hair, then you're in for a mother-f***ing treat! Seriously though! Why do I teach you f***ing anything! You're a sh** little girl! F***!"

-Next go. After rebuilding my composure I went straight to the wrench. Clicked it. "Yes, it's a wrench now F***ING PICK IT UP!" Turns out on the PC version, not only are the action icons represented in controller button positions on this rare occasion, but it's defaulted to clicking the "view" action on the wrench unless you mouse-wheel or press 2 instead.

-Attempt number 4. I know what I'm doing now. Didn't do it anyway. Brain fart. I made Lee take another check that it was infact a real wrench. "AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!"

-Number 5. Finally got it. Christina comes in. "You and a little girl handled all 3 of those on your own huh?". From outside of the game "WELL ACTUALLY SHE DIDN'T DO S***! SHE WAS JUST ENJOYING THE F***ING SHOW WHILE ZOMBIES PLAYED JUMP-ROPE WITH MY INTESTINES! OH AND DOES THIS LOOK LIKE A WRENCH TO YOU BECAUSE I'VE LOOKED AT IT SO MANY TIMES AND JESUS I'M STILL NOT CONVINCED!"

Ahem. Yeah looking through this thread, the keyboard/mouse working of that scene (some for movement, but otherwise purely due to the wrench) seemed like a moment of poor form from a developmental standpoint.

I'm also surprised at how many slipped with the bandits. It makes me wonder how many hairs I managed to make it by because it sounds like I did something difficult. I was never under the impression that I was in any real danger.

P.S. It's more fun if I don't chill.

• @greenj2 said:

I also died about 6 times in a row to the pair of zombies in the boarded-up train station, though I blame that on poor game mechanics. I kept trying to pick up the weapon on the floor but Lee would just 'look' at it.

Hah! Same here :P

I assumed that it would just let you pick it up right away but NOPE! You gotta switch to that command manually.

Same thing when I had to take the key from Clem through the bars... I took the keys first time, then looked at the lock, then looked at it again, swore at Lee to open the f***ing door and then managed to open it.

But then the zombie killed me anyway because my aim sucked.

Oh btw, does anyone know what happens if you wait too long at that section to take the keys? Does Clem shoot the zombie herself?

• It was a too long sequence to watch so many times before succeeding... there should be a key to skip cutscenes, damn it.

• First try I only died twice at the Train Station. But then I went back and played on a different save and died twice at the Bandits, once on the alternative Duck zombie (Out of curiosity though), and think I got the train station perfect that time, though.

• The train station. First time I died in the Series. Twice with the wrench...and once because I didn't hit the hotspot perfectly against the walker you have to shoot. I skill clicked his head, but nooooo, not at the precise spot telltale wants it.

I really find that strange. In the sniper scenes you only have to aim somewhere...in the general direction of the head and it is a kill. Which is good, because is simply has not the fluid motions of a FPS. But in the QTE your aim has to be perfect. I do not get it at all.

• I died a lot during the raid. I couldnt seem to line up my shots right and the third bandit kept shooting me. Then I played again with Doug and the zombies kept getting me because I had problems lining up the headshots. I blame myself because Im a terrible shot in every game I play, lol. The helicopter pilot got me a couple of times and the zombies in the train station. I think this episode was the most frustrated I got in terms of getting killed.

• @greenj2 said: Come on, admit it. :D

I died once when the bandits were holding the group hostage at the motor inn. I took too long responding and they fed me a lead salad for the trouble.

Didn't die even once until that pair. And I definitely bale poor game mechanics on that. From the very first time I went for the tool and I just couldn't pick it up. It took me a while until I did.

Add Comment