User Avatar Image

Episode 3 ruined everything

posted by falcon168 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.5K users

The first time I'm not looking forward to new release at all. If it comes out, I'll play, if not, I'm not bothered. Well done TTG! episode 3 ruined everthing and also appeared everything about that fake choice making.

193 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @LokiHavok said: Wow. Way to be melodramatic OP. What did you expect?
    . And you fanboys already get irked when it takes longer than a month to deliver an episode.

No shit Sherlock. This was originally promised to be a monthly episodic game. Now they sneakily changed it to periodically.

• Only thing that disappointed me in EP 3 was that they didn't even try to offer any explanation for the deux ex machina ending of EP 2. That car came out of nowhere to solve their problem, classic DEM. I still hope they at least try to give a plausible explanation for it in EP 4 or 5.

• @Xebioz said: You are completely missing the point of what atleast I mean when I want the story to be changed. See my post above for details.

No, I'm not. It is wrong that dead characters do not affect that story. They do affect you, and Clem. The two most important characters in the story.
    At least choices affect me, I'm not a superhero and I know my limits. I try to do what's best for the group from my perspective and I get a bit depressed when it fails... because you know it's like life.

• Basically the only difference between everyone's save file. Is if Clem has on a hoodie or not. What a complete botch job.

And as I stated before, Doug players such as myself really got the shaft. I can only take comfort in knowing that the story and scenarios flow better with Doug than opposed to Carley.

• @Xebioz said: That alone would be fine. But the fact that they kill off every character except for clem and Kenny (Ben wasn't from the start) means that the decisions you made that only the dead characters know about can't really affect the story that much anymore. I'm not talking about RP differences because they are fine, but the fact that the story changes and that the characters act differently I have a hard time seeing as all of the characters who knew stuff from the first two episodes are dead.

I feel that in a way the choice of people that died (Carley/Doug instead of Ben) is partly because they want to reduce development time or maybe I'm just a pessimist.

Have you ever picked up a Walking Dead comic? That is exactly what happens in the books. People die and all the time invested in them doesn't mean anything. That is robert kirkman's style. If people expect this to be like an rpg then they will be sorely disappointed. Think of it more like a choose-your-own-adventure book. You make decisions, but the story is already written and how you get to the end is the only difference.

• @YamiRaziel said: No, I'm not. It is wrong that dead characters do not affect that story. They do affect you, and Clem. The two most important characters in the story.
    At least choices affect me, I'm not a superhero and I know my limits. I try to do what's best for the group from my perspective and I get a bit depressed when it fails... because you know it's like life.

Like I said, you missed the point...

I never said that the dead characters don't influence the story, I said the choices that you made before that only dead characters know about don't change the story. Which means that most of the decisions in episode one and two don't really matter. Choosing Doug or Carley for instance matters because the characters that are alive still remember them. Other choices that don't include the characters that are alive like shooting that girl at the motel now has no significanse as the only character that remembers it is you (and Glenn which is not doing any more cameos). So you see, many choices are nulled out by the fact that the choices you made are only known by dead people...

• @HelloCthulhu said: Have you ever picked up a Walking Dead comic? That is exactly what happens in the books. People die and all the time invested in them doesn't mean anything. That is robert kirkman's style. If people expect this to be like an rpg then they will be sorely disappointed. Think of it more like a choose-your-own-adventure book. You make decisions, but the story is already written and how you get to the end is the only difference.

That's fine, but do you actually remember what always pop's up when you start a new episode of the game? No? Well, then I wouldn't care that much either.

• @HelloCthulhu said: Think of it more like a choose-your-own-adventure book. You make decisions, but the story is already written and how you get to the end is the only difference.

That's the best way to describe it. It's not an RPG guise! It's interactive fiction!

• The choices you make do change the story. Not in DRASTIC ways, but they do. If that is not enough for you, go ask ttg for a copy of their game engine and build your own game with it.

• @HelloCthulhu said: The coices you make do change the story. Not in DRASTIC ways, but they do. If that is not enough for you, go ask ttg for a copy of their game engine and build your own game with it.

I would, but I don't feel like creating a game where I know what will happen for me to play said game and know everything about it. Do you guys not understand that "Go make your own game" thing really fails when it comes to adventure games?

Back on track now...

Add Comment