User Avatar Image

Episode 3 ruined everything

posted by falcon168 on - last edited - Viewed by 2.4K users

The first time I'm not looking forward to new release at all. If it comes out, I'll play, if not, I'm not bothered. Well done TTG! episode 3 ruined everthing and also appeared everything about that fake choice making.

193 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Xebioz said: I would, but I don't feel like creating a game where I know what will happen for me to play said game and know everything about it. Do you guys not understand that "Go make your own game" thing really fails when it comes to adventure games?

Back on track now...

Do you understand where the argument "I would but it would ruin it for me" falls flat when talking about a game company that did just that? You complain about a game that is limited by the technology available and the time they have to program it.

On a separate note, do you realize the butterfly effect that would have if they did give you one? They would have to in effect, from there on out, build two different games. One for one path, one for another. that would LITERALLY double the release schedule delays. And that is just 1 decision.

• @HelloCthulhu said: Do you understand where the argument "I would but it would ruin it for me" falls flat when talking about a game company that did just that? You complain about a game that is limited by the technology available and the time they have to program it.

On a separate note, do you realize the butterfly effect that would have if they did give you one? They would have to in effect, from there on out, build two different games. One for one path, one for another. that would LITERALLY double the release schedule delays. And that is just 1 decision.

I know I'm bringing up a game known for it's decisions and an old game that you probably haven't played, but you do know that a game like for instance Blade Runner had a lot of decisions and meaningful choices and that was released ages ago? I don't really get the limited by technology thing. And don't start with the development time. I'd rather have the promised product in a year than 80% in two months. But that's just my cup of tea.

• @Xebioz said: I know I'm bringing up a game known for it's decisions and an old game that you probably haven't played, but you do know that a game like for instance Blade Runner had a lot of decisions and meaningful choices and that was released ages ago? I don't really get the limited by technology thing. And don't start with the development time. I'd rather have the promised product in a year than 80% in two months. But that's just my cup of tea.

Blade runner got mentioned in the first page, those choices weren't as meaningful as you're making out.

• @Xebioz said: I know I'm bringing up a game known for it's decisions and an old game that you probably haven't played, but you do know that a game like for instance Blade Runner had a lot of decisions and meaningful choices and that was released ages ago? I don't really get the limited by technology thing. And don't start with the development time. I'd rather have the promised product in a year than 80% in two months. But that's just my cup of tea.

Would you be willing to wait a year for 1 episode? I don't think so.

• @JabbaDaHuttX7 said: Choices not mattering is a valid complaint. I liked episode 3, really, but not only did any of your choices not matter throughout the episode, your previous decisions also get sidelined.

The story was good, but I think criticism is more helpful than just being a defensive fanboy.

It is a valid point, but not as huge a point as people are making it out to be. I personally feel the game is following the formula that Kirkman used in the majority of his comics. If you don't know what I mean, go read the past 100 issues. It will become apparent.

• @cormoran said: Blade runner got mentioned in the first page, those choices weren't as meaningful as you're making out.

Well then, maybe I just remember a game from 97' for having good graphics? That story is different every time you play it and you don't know how stuff is going to go down even if you have played it before. If they could do that back then they should be able to do some kind of branching story now no? And that was FMV in addition which is a horrible tool to work with when trying to lower costs.

But anyway. What I am saying is not that TWD is a bad game or that Episode 3 is bad. I just feel that a good product should be criticized when it shows flaws and that's what I'm doing. Hailing the game as the savior of gaming really isn't going to turn out a better Episode 4, so I'm trying to help in my way.

• @HelloCthulhu said: It is a valid point, but not as huge a point as people are making it out to be. I personally feel the game is following the formula that Kirkman used in the majority of his comics. If you don't know what I mean, go read the past 100 issues. It will become apparent.

Yes and that's fine, I get it (I've read a bit of it a while back). But the fact is that this game is supposed to give you a role and then let you work with it (inside of plausible boundaries of course). The fact is though that for a game that claims choices and decisions as it's most important feature, it doesn't seem to focus on that. I love the story, don't get me wrong, but I don't feel like having a lot of lee'way (;)). I don't want you to be able to save everyone or to be able to kill random people in the group, or do other wierd stuff. What I'm asking for is a branching story to a logical degree.

Tell me three significant changes in the end of episode 3 because of your choices. In the end of episode 2 I could easily have answered that question, but now it's getting harder for me.

• @Xebioz said: Well then, maybe I just remember a game from 97' for having good graphics? That story is different every time you play it and you don't know how stuff is going to go down even if you have played it before. If they could do that back then they should be able to do some kind of branching story now no? And that was FMV in addition which is a horrible tool to work with when trying to lower costs.

But anyway. What I am saying is not that TWD is a bad game or that Episode 3 is bad. I just feel that a good product should be criticized when it shows flaws and that's what I'm doing. Hailing the game as the savior of gaming really isn't going to turn out a better Episode 4, so I'm trying to help in my way.

Except that episodic games don't really lend themselves to that kind of story. Especially one with a coalescent story. I get what you are saying, but this is TTG. TTG makes episodic games; they don't make games that are full games all at once. Jurassic park was the exception and it failed horribly. HORRIBLY.

If another gaming company was making the game, I would say yes, you are right...give them all the time in the world to get that game out there...but I just don't see Telltale making an episodic game that branches. It would be programming hell.

• @Xebioz said: Yes and that's fine, I get it (I've read a bit of it a while back). But the fact is that this game is supposed to give you a role and then let you work with it (inside of plausible boundaries of course). The fact is though that for a game that claims choices and decisions as it's most important feature, it doesn't seem to focus on that. I love the story, don't get me wrong, but I don't feel like having a lot of lee'way (;)). I don't want you to be able to save everyone or to be able to kill random people in the group, or do other wierd stuff. What I'm asking for is a branching story to a logical degree.

Tell me three significant changes in the end of episode 3 because of your choices. In the end of episode 2 I could easily have answered that question, but now it's getting harder for me.

I would disagree that choices was ever billed as the most important feature in the game. It simply one of the features that makes it different than most games. Even most adventure games.

• Agree with the OP, episode 3 ruined everything for me. Quite ironically, right after Carley died I quit and next time I tried to play my save games were corrupted, so I'd have to do the whole game again.
    Guess do I want to?

Add Comment