User Avatar Image

Episode 3 ruined everything

posted by falcon168 on - last edited - Viewed by 2.9K users

The first time I'm not looking forward to new release at all. If it comes out, I'll play, if not, I'm not bothered. Well done TTG! episode 3 ruined everthing and also appeared everything about that fake choice making.

193 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @JabbaDaHuttX7 said: The comics don't give you any promise of choice so it's not a question of "what if..."

Well that all depends on how you are looking at the game. It's not meant to be a game that has completely different outcomes to the episode depending on your choices. It's meant to be an adventure game with the ability to affect the story with your choices. Now does that mean that the story will be completely different down to the outcome? No, I don't think they ever promised that.

@JabbaDaHuttX7 said: Agree with the OP, episode 3 ruined everything for me. Quite ironically, right after Carley died I quit and next time I tried to play my save games were corrupted, so I'd have to do the whole game again.
    Guess do I want to?

then really, they did their job by evoking feelings of betrayal from you. You might not like it, but that is something authors have done many times. Look at George R.R. Martin: He kills characters off all the time independent of whether they are popular or not.

• @HelloCthulhu said: It is a valid point, but not as huge a point as people are making it out to be. I personally feel the game is following the formula that Kirkman used in the majority of his comics. If you don't know what I mean, go read the past 100 issues. It will become apparent.

Oh and for the record let me show you what I mean when I'm talking about meaningful choices. For instance:

You know the gun "charlotte"? Lee has it with him on the RV and if you keep Lilly with you after the accident on the road then she runs of with it right? Well if you threw her out on the road then he would still have the gun with him (which he for some reason ditches on the RV). A small difference like that can change so much when it comes to choices (at least for me). And this doesn't mean that you somehow knew that this was going to happen beforehand so you still don't have control really, but IT MAKES SENSE. And that's what I mean when I mean choices matter. The fact that something is different, not necessarily people alive or dead (clementine's hoodie is a good example). It's not as hard as people are claiming it to be.

• When someone (TT) states that the choices/decisions you make matter, you assume that they will have a larger impact on the story. TT stating that your choices matter is like stating that the game is a monthly episodic. Either way, episode 3 sucked and I can't believe it took as long as it did to create. Aside of what Lilly did, there was nothing shocking. The game/story is very predictable and agree with the OP, I could care less about the next episode. It's not about the characters, it's the entire game.

*snip*

• First of all, Wade, Just because someone has a different opinion from you, it does not give you the right to berate and belittle them. You lost the debate as soon as you did.

Second, I personally disagree with almost 95% of your entire post. I, however, will not stoop to calling you names for it.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

The berating is gone, please carry on as if nothing had happened. Thank you.

• @HelloCthulhu said: First of all, Wade, Just because someone has a different opinion from you, it does not give you the right to berate and belittle them. You lost the debate as soon as you did.

Second, I personally disagree with almost 95% of your entire post. I, however, will not stoop to calling you names for it.

I agree with you and that he was way out of line, but I just presented a meaningful choice a bit up on the page. Do you think something like that would be impossible to program? If so I just think that you must be a fanboy as you can't criticize TT at all. I'm not saying that you have to change major things for it to be different...

• @Xebioz said: I agree with you and that he was way out of line, but I just presented a meaningful choice a bit up on the page. Do you think something like that would be impossible to program? If so I just think that you must a fanboy as you can't criticize TT at all. I'm not saying that you have to change major things for it to be different...

I think given the format for the game, it would be near impossible to accommodate all the choices over the term of 5 episodes for the reason I gave before: the butterfly effect. You make 1 choice that changes things per episode, hypothetically.

[LIST]
    [*]That means that in episode 1 they need to program an alternate timeline for everything in the game from that point on in episode 1. Not that bad so far, but still a lot of programming work.
    [*]Then in episode 2, they need to create 2 completely different paths based on your choice in episode 1 and work it into a choice in episode 2. Starting to get more muddy.
    [*]Then in episode 3 they now need to make 4 different paths for the game.
    [/LIST]
    Do you see how it gets to be impossible to meet their deadlines given only 1 choice per episode? Now if you are talking about cosmetic changes, like the hoodie, They did give you one of those in this episode: her hair. If you are talking about more than cosmetic changes, you are getting much more into complicated territories.

• @HelloCthulhu said: I think given the format for the game, it would be near impossible to accommodate all the choices over the term of 5 episodes for the reason I gave before: the butterfly effect. You make 1 choice that changes things per episode, hypothetically.

[LIST]
    [*]That means that in episode 1 they need to program an alternate timeline for everything in the game from that point on in episode 1. Not that bad so far, but still a lot of programming work.
    [*]Then in episode 2, they need to create 2 completely different paths based on your choice in episode 1 and work it into a choice in episode 2. Starting to get more muddy.
    [*]Then in episode 3 they now need to make 4 different paths for the game.
    [/LIST]
    Do you see how it gets to be impossible to meet their deadlines given only 1 choice per episode? Now if you are talking about cosmetic changes, like the hoodie, They did give you one of those in this episode: her hair. If you are talking about more than cosmetic changes, you are getting much more into complicated territories.

I would understand the difficulty as long as these decisions took a ton of work each, but the stuff I described is easy to interchange into the story. The fact that you think that would be diffucult relative to the stuff they already did with the doug/carley differences makes your argument silly at best.

• @Xebioz said: I would understand the difficulty as long as these decisions took a ton of work each, but the stuff I described is easy to interchange into the story. The fact that you think that would be diffucult relative to the stuff they already did with the doug/carley differences makes your argument silly at best.

But like other pointed out, the doug/carley differences really are cosmetic at best. They really don't do that much differently.

Add Comment