User Avatar Image

[SPOILERS]The Walking Dead Episode 3 REVIEW Thread

posted by Vainamoinen on - last edited - Viewed by 20.1K users

Post your impressions of the episode here!

SPOILERS are allowed, no spoiler tags necessary, so if you did not play the episode yet, keep out for your own sake! ;)

No spamming please - if you haven't played it yet, keep out!

509 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • What the hell was that?!

I mean the episode 3 was the best episode so far, but killing Carley is insane... Maybe some of you that I was looking for some Fairy Tale Adventure - but it is not this way. I think that among so many bad things there should be at least ONE positive thing and that was CARLEY. :( I was very sad that this happend but I decided to take the Lily with us... and that... that... no human thing run with OUR RV? okay that was insane and I get almost heart attack! damn it... And if someone AGAIN mentions fairytale end, I would remind him the end of EPISODE 2 - after a canibal family, they get finnaly they supplies - that sound pretty like a fairytale. So shut the hell up about fairytales :mad:

Now seriously... i know that many of you would take the hard decisions which are about survival - but look at it from the other side. The World is ending, and the social system is falling apart. But if we take hard decision which are only about survival (e.g. steal the supplies from the car) we are not better than Zombies. People should act as humans - thats a difference between us and animals (or Zombies in this case). This decisions may be hard, but not impossible - survival is important (i agree with that) but what is the price of survival?

I am looking forward for episode 4 - I think it would be perfect, but I am very looking forward what happens with Ben. And the main question is - what is the situation about Clem parents. Is there any way how they could surrvive the zombie appocalypse (if they were in hospital? - hospitals fall first in that case and are overtaken by the zombies almost immiadiately). And the final question - since when have Lee two guns?! :confused: I though he has only one.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Kamzik_SVK said: since when have Lee two guns?! :confused: I though he has only one.

By my count, he had none by the beginning of episode 3. He took Carley's and Lilly's.

• Worst episode so far. Ben was totally out of character. He went from confused kid trying to survive to moody teen that is sort of a jerk (traits he never showed in his first appearance.) His character is inconsistent. He acting a certain way in episode 2 when presented with stress and horrible choices. In episode two, at times he didn't care, "I should be working on the train" and seeming excited at certain points when he was supposed to be brooding (walking up to him on the train and him half smiling and saying, "sup?" or something to that effect. He kept pissing me off when he told me, "wanna be working on the train." I kept thinking, I wish Lily would have shot you instead. The only time his character was consistent with episode 2 was when he admitted that he was supplying the bandits.

Omid, and whatever her name are PEDOPHILES. It was disgusting to see how much interest they had in Clementine. I would have left them alone before dealing with them. Lee is far too trusting with new people, which he should not be. You don't know anything about Chuck, Omid, or girl with attitude. I wouldn't be leaving someone I call, "sweet pea" with random strangers.

The group is far weaker now, and in my save Kenny didn't have my back multiple times (which is fine, I can see that by choice). Also, that person on the radio, I am almost certain is that murder with glasses from the comic book. Why bring him up at the beginning if you don't intend to use him later?

All in all, I would say that it felt really rushed at end. They tried to jam too much story and new characters without developing them very much. I really don't like that new girl because the only thing I know about her is that she's Lily with out any of the kindness. For the record, I saved Omid. Not bercause I don't like her, but because he was closest and injured, and she was right there keeping up with the train. I figured I could pull them both up.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Outcast96 said: Also, that person on the radio, I am almost certain is that murder with glasses from the comic book. Why bring him up at the beginning if you don't intend to use him later?

Would be a demanding task for him, talking to Clementine from prison and/or the grave. ;)

• At one point in Lee and Carley's conversation I realized she was an amazing character and I decided, "No way I'm letting you die. Never!"

...yeah...

Also, when she said I had to tell people I was a killer, I went straight for Kaatja. Seriously, I was as surprised as Kenny when I took her aside to tell her, but somehow TTG took a background character and made her my third favorite in the series. And then they made Duck really, really funny and likeable to the point that I actually gave him a high-five and said, "You earned it, champ" (if you think about it, Duck was an amazing kid...he was still funny and goofy even though he had been through ten times as much trauma as Clementine, and watching him slowly fade away was heart-breaking).

That made the entire RV ride a nightmare for me. And when Kaatja took her own life, I was speechless. And I pointed the gun at Duck for at least five minutes straight just hoping he would turn first. At one point he closes his eyes, his head drifts off, and he goes to sleep and I'm just about ready to pull the trigger and -- NOPE -- his eyes crack back open a peep and he starts breathing steadily again staring at me.

I had to look away.

I understand why the powergamers are frustrated that they don't get what they want, but they were never, ever given control over the narrative. There is no 100% completion. There is no ideal result. This is a game about controlling Lee's relationships and his personality. And until he gets super powers and mind control, he can't just tell other people what to do. He can only try and convince them and get them to trust and like him.

Once you realize the other characters are written like people instead of robots you can turn on and off with a switch, the game becomes much easier to deal with. Just focus on shaping Lee and stop worrying about shaping other people. Hope they change their minds but don't rely on it since everyone has their own goals and wants.

For example, Christa is very easy to get along with and she'll warm up to you very quickly if you agree that you aren't very good at what you're doing. She starts off a jerk but within ten minutes she was telling me that I was doing a good job and that Clementine was lucky to have me around.

You can't force people to like Lee. But you can make Lee someone worth liking, and that often has unexpected results.

Unless you're Kenny, he's a douche.

• @Outcast96 said: Worst episode so far. Ben was totally out of character. He went from confused kid trying to survive to moody teen that is sort of a jerk (traits he never showed in his first appearance.)

I don't know what game you were playing, but Ben was always a confused, scared kid in my playthrough.

He was a confused, scared kid who was giving supplies to bandits because they told him his friends were still alive and they were holding them for ransom.

Then he was a confused, scared kid who started panicking when Lilly kept pressing him for information on the side of the road.

Then he was a kid who wanted to play with an awesome train and eat some candy and wasn't confused or scared anymore because there weren't zombies or bandits and everyone was having a good time.

Then he was a confused, scared kid who wanted to tell Kenny that he's the one who was stealing supplies. Then he was a confused, scared kid I had to talk to three different times before he finally admitted he should keep his mouth shut (nice touch, TTG).

And then he was a confused, scared kid standing on top of the train watching for zombies telling you he was confused and scared about zombies coming to eat them.

Seems pretty consistent.

• This episode was pretty good, best out of all the episodes in my opinion, but not worth the long wait D: But saying that, it was awesome. Just one thing, did anyone else get that glitch (after Duck dies) where you walk out of the train driver room, after talking to Kenny and Chuck, and the camera glitches out into the ground and all you can see is hovering trees? I think it only happens when you talk to Chuck and Kenny about everything ya can and then leave, really annoyed me! xD

• I keep hearing of some sort of secret 4th choice in which Doug/ Carly lives. Does that have any merit

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Wilder41 said: I keep hearing of some sort of secret 4th choice in which Doug/ Carly lives. Does that have any merit

Absolutely none.

• Maybe Carley/Doug dodged the bullet and only pretended to be dead?And the blood Is only Ketchup?And they took something to slow heart?just sayin :(

Add Comment