User Avatar Image

Katjaa and Duck (spoilers)

posted by KCohere on - last edited - Viewed by 1.8K users

Everyone is so upset about Carley, Which I get, I liked her too , that I feel like Kat and Duck's deaths were a bit overshadowed. I know how much people hated Duck, eventhough I didnt. I was wondering how everyone felt about what happened to them.

Mods, if this is a repeat post feel free to remove or merge it.

28 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I had thought he was somewhat annoying for the first two episodes. He (Duck) grew on me really fast this episode. The mental image of pointing a gun at an eight year old child as he takes is last breathes is one that will stick with me for a long time.

I'm not really sure how they can top this episode. It was pretty much non-stop shock. Losing Lilly, Carley, Katja, and Duck triggered a barrage of "what the fuck!'s from me. Games never have an effect on me like that.

• Yeah those series of events were so intense. That's when I knew that this was the craziest episode yet. Seemed longer too. Did anybody else get that?

Yeah that moment, I went from WTF Carley now. How could this get worse. To the death of Ken's family and my already small group (after Ep. 2) becoming a shell of it's former self. Was so nuts.

• Before release a dev said in the "long episode" thread that Episode 3 wouldn't be longer, but there'd be more to do, so it could feel longer if you took your time.

• I liked Duck after he helped me solve the Mystery of the Vanishing Meds at the motor inn. He was real helpful, the little scamp. I shot him myself because Kenny had already seen Katjaa commit suicide right in front of him and it seemed to cruel to make him do it. Shooting Duck is one of the hardest things I've done so far. I could barely see him through my tears. And when Kenny wants to find a less violent, and more painless way to finish Duck... God.

I am so jaded by this game now that I really can't see Lee surviving Episode 5. In this one Episode alone, three group members died, one left/was abandoned, and another was revealed to have been going behind our backs practically since we met him.

• Duck suffered from the horrors of the zombie apocalypse more than anyone, but he stayed pretty strong psychologically. Moreso than Clem I would say, who goes to dark places sometimes.

Clem: "I get it. Sometimes you just gotta kill some people..."

Lee: "Whoa, wait, that's NOT what I meant, Clem! What the hell!"

Duck was always happy, which was bizarre. And then he did that whole Batman and Robin thing and, I have to say, I went ahead and high-fived him for that one. TTG made me a Duck believer -- and then they killed him because screw me and my emotions, that's why.

But as I said before, Kaatja's death was more affecting than Carley's. I sort of saw Carley's death coming, but I honestly thought Kaatja was stronger than that. Clem is my partner, Kenny's my rival, Carley's my buddy, but Kaatja was my moral compass.

• I did feel more affected by Carley's death than Katjaa and Duck's. I guess that is because I had built up a strong relationship with Carley . Also I think Carley's death was a lot more shocking and unexpected. It was relatively early into the episode and just how quick it was, when on the other hand, we knew Duck was bit and he was slowly dying. Katjaa's death was quite easy to predict after she continually talked about how everything was changing and how it would never be the way it used to be.

• The difference between Carley and Kat/Duck is that there seems to be far more potential character development and interaction with Carley. Whilst Kat/Duck is more tragic, Carley I think has the biggest impact because of what could have been with her has now been lost.

• @bazenji said: But as I said before, Kaatja's death was more affecting than Carley's. I sort of saw Carley's death coming, but I honestly thought Kaatja was stronger than that. Clem is my partner, Kenny's my rival, Carley's my buddy, but Kaatja was my moral compass.

This is really how I felt. Kat always seemed like the voice of reason, the person I could rely on to keep a straight head and to help stabilize our group. I was honestly amazed that she could kill herself in front of her dying son and leave Kenny to face his entire family's death all alone. I never expected that from her.

I guess it just goes to show how even the strongest of us have a breaking point.

• I find it quite easy to understand Katjaa shooting herself. She always talked about how the world was changing for the worse and now she knew she was going to lose her only child.

Plus I don't think Duck saw anything. I think his eyes were closed and with him so close to death, he isn't going to be seeing clearly anyway.

• @United 23 said: I find it quite easy to understand Katjaa shooting herself. She always talked about how the world was changing for the worse and now she knew she was going to lose her only child.

Plus I don't think Duck saw anything. I think his eyes were closed and with him so close to death, he isn't going to be seeing clearly anyway.

We don't know if Duck was that far gone for sure. Maybe. Who knows?

I just didn't expect it from Kat. Her being the one to stabilize Kenny, she seemed to have it put together so much more. I'm not surprised that she did, and I understand why, I'm not saying I don't. I just...didn't expect it.

Add Comment