User Avatar Image

[SPOILERS]The Walking Dead Episode 3 REVIEW Thread

posted by Vainamoinen on - last edited - Viewed by 19.1K users

Post your impressions of the episode here!

SPOILERS are allowed, no spoiler tags necessary, so if you did not play the episode yet, keep out for your own sake! ;)

No spamming please - if you haven't played it yet, keep out!

509 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • The only thing that would break me would be if Clementine was hurt. Everyone else can die :D

• 5/10

Was over way too quickly, no good shock moments (all the ones that did happen, you could see em happening from a mile away), felt like no matter what my choices were that the result would be the same regardless (why are we still stuck with Kenny's douchebagness, even tho everybody else you can get rid of). Seemed more like a rushed filler episode since it was so far behind schedule and they just needed to get it out to appease the masses. Episode 3 is the middle and should be building up to the climax for the final couple of episodes, not just string the story along (could have been done with episode 2 instead if you are outta ideas).

These are just my opinions and I'm sure somebody might disagree, but it was really not worth waiting over 2 months of what was posed to be a monthly episodes for this garbage filler piece.

• I felt episode 3 opened really strong, with the great mystery sequence about who was stealing the equipment, making you wonder if you really trust everyone. I also liked that you could initiate a relationship with Carley at this point, and it felt pretty awesome to do that (really should've offered the option earlier IMO). Duck was also pretty entertaining.

When everything hit the fan and we escaped in the RV, that was great, especially that shooting sequence which was pretty enjoyable. But after that, on the road was just bad. It opened well, with Lilly's paranoia coming to a head and everything getting really crazy, but the ending felt really predetermined, and I am starting to feel that Telltales promise of our choices actually mattering was an exaggeration. Sure, they have some effects on dialogue... but they have almost no bearing on the overall story ark, which is starting to become a real problem.

For example, Larry. No matter if you try to revive him or not, Kenny will still kill him, you just help him in one version. Everything after that will be nearly identical as well. The choices you make in this series are only skin deep, they don't really change anything. Which really was a problem in that no matter what you do, Carley/Doug will die. It's even worse on the Carley side of things because you just got to initiate a relationship with her in that episode, and instead of killing her later and giving you an option for long term emotional sadness, they exploited it for short-term shock value. You also have no way to interfere in how things play out, meaning your choices and your actions really don't matter.

The rest of the groups reaction, and even Lee's, is also weak after. He barely even addresses Carley's death, and neither does the rest of the group except Katjaa. There's also (probably) no way to stop her from killing herself either, and whether Kenny or Lee shoots Duck, it still happens.

Otherwise, the episode was great, but the group is really starting to thin. You kill characters we care about, yes, and it promotes a great reaction, but giving us no way to do things different when we go back through makes it feel far too linear when this was advertised as a game where our choices matter. Also, just throwing in these new characters out of nowhere when we're getting near the end just doesn't feel extremely natural, and while they have great personalities, they are just not as interesting as characters that have come before.

Either way, I can't wait to see what happens in Episode 4, but I want to see more opportunities for the player to change the overall story rather then just skin deep changes which other games like Dragon Age or Mass Effect have already proven is possible.

6.5 out of 10

• alotta people keep saying just switch out ben/carley/doug but if the story replaced carley with ben then we would have ben getting shot because carley was the traitor...cant have it both ways. if carley is replacing ben she has to be ben like in that way. Thus now all the people who liked carley are like whoa bitch you did what?? lmfao

p.s. Carley shoulda thought better of what she said to lilly. Calling her a bitch a little girl and telling her to get the fuck over it...not so smart...seems batteries weren't the only thing holding carley back...her mouth was a problem too;)

• @Obrusnine said:
    Either way, I can't wait to see what happens in Episode 4, but I want to see more opportunities for the player to change the overall story rather then just skin deep changes which other games like Dragon Age or Mass Effect have already proven is possible.

6.5 out of 10

Tbh, I can't see episode 4 being any different. The entire game seems to be destined for a pre-determined conclusion. The purpose of the choices is to only influence the dialogue/cutscenes in getting there.

• I really want to know as I queried above, what was the point in the "how many of the supplies can you get from the pharmacy" thing? That was just POINTLESS! That is what underlies all of my frustration with the choice thing. They have/had many opportunities to implement even minimally some of these choices and instead they do THIS? WTF?

It was a big fat red herring :( Or what I like to think of as 'busywork'

• @Murasaki said: Tbh, I can't see episode 4 being any different. The entire game seems to be destined for a pre-determined conclusion. The purpose of the choices is to only influence the dialogue/cutscenes in getting there.

That's exactly the problem in my eyes, I realize that my opinion probably won't change anything, but I just hope they realize it. I was also just disappointed in the fact that it feels like we were all lied to.

I also thought the Kenny scene in the train where he beats the crap out of you and says "you never did anything for him" was pretty stupid, just because you tried to revive Larry he doesn't trust you anymore? You also don't have the dialogue option to kind of agree with what he did, you have no choice but to treat him like a piece of crap afterwards. I mean, I saved his kid from Walkers and I stopped Larry from killing him... just kinda dumb.

• Oh I was also surprised by how many the stats said left Lilly on the side of the road. I understand why but I brought her with me. I'm not real fond of the whole bonding buddy thing which has probably been realized, so I didn't really mind her personality that much. What she did was absolutely crazy and wrong. BUT she was a good shot. The group needed that skill. Of course she wound up leaving anyway but I was being pragmatic about the event.

• @LadyJ said: Oh I was also surprised by how many the stats said left Lilly on the side of the road. I understand why but I brought her with me. I'm not real fond of the whole bonding buddy thing which has probably been realized, so I didn't really mind her personality that much. What she did was absolutely crazy and wrong. BUT she was a good shot. The group needed that skill. Of course she wound up leaving anyway but I was being pragmatic about the event.

I think that moment was influenced more by player rage than logical thought. Given the huge number of Carley fans (including myself), to see your favourite character coldly shot then I can't blame the choice people made.

• @Murasaki said: I think that moment was influenced more by player rage than logical thought. Given the huge number of Carley fans (including myself), to see your favourite character coldly shot then I can't blame the choice people made.

Aye, that's probably true. I liked Carly well enough and it was shocking but I was still like, grab Lilly, she can shoot!!

(Btw love your forum nickname, I just finished a re-read of Genji)

Add Comment