User Avatar Image

Episode 3 ruined everything

posted by falcon168 on - last edited - Viewed by 2.4K users

The first time I'm not looking forward to new release at all. If it comes out, I'll play, if not, I'm not bothered. Well done TTG! episode 3 ruined everthing and also appeared everything about that fake choice making.

193 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Eh, would it really have been that much effort keeping Doug/Carley around? Just recording more dialogue and giving them excuses to not be involved in big setpieces, like in episode 2. Or at least make it so they can leave the group instead of dying.

Yes, it's emotionally effective, but still, it feels pointless that both of them end up dead no matter what. I guess I'll get over it though.

• Did someone mention Blade Runner the game?

The game is affected by both your choices and the game's choices set before you. This gives not just the ability to make choices but also the ability to react on the fly to choices set before you. In one game you might be shooting a replicant, in another it might be a human. They may run or turn and fight. You may be able to kill a character now and save yourself a fight later. It all depends on what elements the game has set and what you choose to act upon.

But that's a different game and neither here nor there.

• @dubesor said: Totally wrong. I don't want infinite choices. But yes I want 1 or 2 MAJOR choices that actually matter. So far, not a single choice -after 60% of the game 3/5 episodes- mattered. Nothing had any impact. At all.

We don't want every decision to completely branch the story and telltale having to make 50 different cutscenes etc. But at least make the player feel in 1 or 2 occasions that his choice actually DID matter. And DID change something. Because as of now there are no signs of this ever happening and that is a huge disappointment.

Major agree! I posted about this in another thread earlier. I am not talking about total control and infinite choices but dang let SOMETHING count!

My biggest beef at the moment is the whole pharmacy thing. Excerpts from my previous post:

The girl at the pharmacy. (I left her for bait) What if when you left her, the story unfolded as it did and you had time to get supplies. OR If you shot her, you were unable to get supplies and had to leave without anything to save your lives. OR you save her and she comes back to the group where you find she's bitten and she turns.

Any of those three scenarios were imminently doable, gave the player an actual impactful choice and didn't bloat the story or create long term contradictions to the main plot.

It wouldn't have been difficult to set an if then parameter/variable regarding the obtained supplies that WOULD have made a difference in the rest of the series.

WHAT THE HELL was the point of counting how many supplies you were able to collect? In the end, you didn't even get to keep them. So why the hell waste my time telling me how many items I picked up? THAT was Not necessary! I really thought the number and type of things I got would make a difference.....that was the biggest dog chasing tail bullshit I've experienced in a while. See, this is my problem with this choice illusion thing...they actually wasted the time to code THAT when it didn't make one whit of difference rather than code something that did.

• @cormoran said: It seems that when some people hear "your choices matter" they expect far too much, like a game that could begin with Lee riding in the back of a cop car and ending up with Lee fighting Cthulhu in space or Lee getting drunk with pirates at the bottom of the ocean or Lee in a triple threat wrestling match against Gandalf and Darth Vader for the World Heavyweight Title at Wrestlemania or Lee winning the Tour de France eleven times in a row with two balls, no drugs and Clem in a trailer on the back depending on their choices in the game.

The choices matter, but they don't have to matter throughout the entire game. Videogames haven't evolved far enough to allow for the millions of permutations some of you seem to want. In the end game devs have to set boundaries.

You want complete choice? pick up a DnD rulebook and start a pen and paper roleplay.

Gee, that'd be impressive, except for the fact that TTG can't even get my choices to carry from one episode to the next (despite their claims to the contrary). TTG are the ones who've been pumping the CHOICES MATTER!! business all along, and since they can't master the basic carryover mechanices of making choices matter, they get a failing grade in their self-professed most important subject.

• @HelloCthulhu said: I would disagree that choices was ever billed as the most important feature in the game. It simply one of the features that makes it different than most games. Even most adventure games.

This is factually ludicrous. TTG is constantly pimping "CHOICE MATTERS!!" in everyone one of their ads and promos.

• @HelloCthulhu said: I think given the format for the game, it would be near impossible to accommodate all the choices over the term of 5 episodes for the reason I gave before: the butterfly effect. You make 1 choice that changes things per episode, hypothetically.

[LIST]
    [*]That means that in episode 1 they need to program an alternate timeline for everything in the game from that point on in episode 1. Not that bad so far, but still a lot of programming work.
    [*]Then in episode 2, they need to create 2 completely different paths based on your choice in episode 1 and work it into a choice in episode 2. Starting to get more muddy.
    [*]Then in episode 3 they now need to make 4 different paths for the game.
    [/LIST]
    Do you see how it gets to be impossible to meet their deadlines given only 1 choice per episode? Now if you are talking about cosmetic changes, like the hoodie, They did give you one of those in this episode: her hair. If you are talking about more than cosmetic changes, you are getting much more into complicated territories.

I dont think its getting so much imposible if they just make 2 paths per episode. They can still continue with 2 paths in episode 3 where it just use your choices from ep1,2...

• @GamingDragon316 said: Epiosde 3 Choices do matter because they reflect on who lives and dies

Are you fucking serious? Almost everyone dies in Episode 3, no matter what. Carley/Doug, Duck, Katjaa, and Lilly has the choice to be thrown out.

I understand the point of some people that you can't control other people, but do you have any idea how frustrating it is to see your favourite character die without being able to do anything, and if you play through the game multiple times you have to see those scenes EVERY time?
    :mad:

• @JackSchirmer said: Gee, that'd be impressive, except for the fact that TTG can't even get my choices to carry from one episode to the next (despite their claims to the contrary). TTG are the ones who've been pumping the CHOICES MATTER!! business all along, and since they can't master the basic carryover mechanices of making choices matter, they get a failing grade in their self-professed most important subject.

Yep.

Fix for the last 2 eps or total fail TTG.

In ep 4, have something that matters that changes the story and ending of ep 5. Make ep 5 and ep 4 take longer to come out. Don't rush. Make SOME choices carry through properly.

Otherwise it's just a gimmick. It's the same as any other game with different dialog options. Seeing as how the dialog options don't branch any different events to take place, they are totally redundant. Upset with the false advertising since episode 1. You could tell with the statistics % screen at the end, that nothing mattered. They just wanted to see what sort of choices people make. So it's free market research for their next series.

Lame.

Finished the Bone series. I'm waiting for that still. But you can't come through with that either...

Jeff Smith deserves better

• @CTP said: I don't think anyone expected a "plethora" of branching storylines, but from the advertising ("Your actions and choices will affect how your story plays out across the entire series.") I would at least expect a handful of those and certainly differences in the survior group at the end of EP3.

[...]
    Admittedly, it is a lot of work but if TTG is not willing to put this effort in their games they should at least not advertise it. I'd be happy with a linear adventure TWD...

CTP

This.

I was excited for episodes 2 and 3. Now, i don't know if i could be even bothered to start episode 4 because i know that my choices don't matter.

There's no use on having something different happen if everything will be exactly the same 10 minutes later.

"Oh, boo hoo ________ just zombified and i had to kill them, i'm so sad.. oh, are those supplies over there? what was i doing again? who's that on the floor dead over there?"

The only character that has even seemed slightly depressed by deaths that happened in episode 3 is obviously kenny. And even he improves after a few minutes, 2 hours later he's fine and cheerful again and inviting new people into the group.

I honestly feel that the choices you could make in resident evil 3 had more of an impact on the gameplay than the choices have had so far in TWD, a game which was advertised for that exact point.

By now, the choices won't even matter. Kenny will be dead in the next episode and it won't even matter where you choose to go with clementine, you'll still end up in the same place.

It doesn't even make a difference on how many supplies you've collected so far. A tiny mention of clementine being upset in the start of episode 3 over the part where you raid the car, and that's it.

Also, it even reminds you how much your choices are supposed to matter at the start of every episode. Here we are 3 episodes later and lee still doesn't seem to be really phased by what's happened. He's barely any different now than he is at the very start of the game.

The choices barely effect anything. You don't go anywhere new if you pick a certain option (which i understand is a lot on the developers and i wasn't really expecting to go anywhere), but you also barely have any different character personalities around you. Unless you choose exactly the right options, the characters will still either just hate you or be just okay with you.

Finally, my last reason for disliking this episode is the way that the characters are just dealt with compared to the last 2 seasons. I'm not dissapointed because my "favourite" characters are dead, i'm dissapointed because they were all disposed of in the same episode, minutes apart from each other and all of them happened very quickly. Maybe if there was a gut-wrenching scene where lee says goodbye to doug/carley as they slowly die. Instead it's a scene that lasts for a few minutes where you spend more time being annoyed at lilly than you do seeing the actual death or mourning over it. A few minutes later it's like lee has forgotten about it.

• @TeleporterFIN said: Are you fucking serious? Almost everyone dies in Episode 3, no matter what. Carley/Doug, Duck, Katjaa, and Lilly has the choice to be thrown out.

I understand the point of some people that you can't control other people, but do you have any idea how frustrating it is to see your favourite character die without being able to do anything, and if you play through the game multiple times you have to see those scenes EVERY time?
    :mad:

That's what I really enjoyed about this episode. It makes it clear that their writers have gotten me emotionally invested enough in these characters that their fates actually have an impact. Knowing that I could be a white knight and save the people I like would take away a lot from this game. This is "The Walking Dead" after all.

I also felt like I was able to make several meaningful decisions in this episode, unlike several other posters I guess. The two I appreciate the most were whether I would leave Lilly stranded after she murdered Carley (the scene that led up to this was just awesome) and choosing whether or not to shoot Duck myself. Pointing a glock at an eight year old kid as he's taking his lasts breaths right after his mother shot herself is something that I'll remember for a long time.

I feel like being able to make choices like that for Lee's character while still following the over all narrative is enough for me. I stopped complaining about the delays after episode 2 because I felt TellTale was crafting a very enjoyable story. They confirmed my feelings with this episode and can consider me a very happy customer.

Add Comment