User Avatar Image

Episode 3 ruined everything

posted by falcon168 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.4K users

The first time I'm not looking forward to new release at all. If it comes out, I'll play, if not, I'm not bothered. Well done TTG! episode 3 ruined everthing and also appeared everything about that fake choice making.

193 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @JackSchirmer said: Gee, that'd be impressive, except for the fact that TTG can't even get my choices to carry from one episode to the next (despite their claims to the contrary). TTG are the ones who've been pumping the CHOICES MATTER!! business all along, and since they can't master the basic carryover mechanices of making choices matter, they get a failing grade in their self-professed most important subject.

Yep.

Fix for the last 2 eps or total fail TTG.

In ep 4, have something that matters that changes the story and ending of ep 5. Make ep 5 and ep 4 take longer to come out. Don't rush. Make SOME choices carry through properly.

Otherwise it's just a gimmick. It's the same as any other game with different dialog options. Seeing as how the dialog options don't branch any different events to take place, they are totally redundant. Upset with the false advertising since episode 1. You could tell with the statistics % screen at the end, that nothing mattered. They just wanted to see what sort of choices people make. So it's free market research for their next series.

Lame.

Finished the Bone series. I'm waiting for that still. But you can't come through with that either...

Jeff Smith deserves better

• @CTP said: I don't think anyone expected a "plethora" of branching storylines, but from the advertising ("Your actions and choices will affect how your story plays out across the entire series.") I would at least expect a handful of those and certainly differences in the survior group at the end of EP3.

[...]
    Admittedly, it is a lot of work but if TTG is not willing to put this effort in their games they should at least not advertise it. I'd be happy with a linear adventure TWD...

CTP

This.

I was excited for episodes 2 and 3. Now, i don't know if i could be even bothered to start episode 4 because i know that my choices don't matter.

There's no use on having something different happen if everything will be exactly the same 10 minutes later.

"Oh, boo hoo ________ just zombified and i had to kill them, i'm so sad.. oh, are those supplies over there? what was i doing again? who's that on the floor dead over there?"

The only character that has even seemed slightly depressed by deaths that happened in episode 3 is obviously kenny. And even he improves after a few minutes, 2 hours later he's fine and cheerful again and inviting new people into the group.

I honestly feel that the choices you could make in resident evil 3 had more of an impact on the gameplay than the choices have had so far in TWD, a game which was advertised for that exact point.

By now, the choices won't even matter. Kenny will be dead in the next episode and it won't even matter where you choose to go with clementine, you'll still end up in the same place.

It doesn't even make a difference on how many supplies you've collected so far. A tiny mention of clementine being upset in the start of episode 3 over the part where you raid the car, and that's it.

Also, it even reminds you how much your choices are supposed to matter at the start of every episode. Here we are 3 episodes later and lee still doesn't seem to be really phased by what's happened. He's barely any different now than he is at the very start of the game.

The choices barely effect anything. You don't go anywhere new if you pick a certain option (which i understand is a lot on the developers and i wasn't really expecting to go anywhere), but you also barely have any different character personalities around you. Unless you choose exactly the right options, the characters will still either just hate you or be just okay with you.

Finally, my last reason for disliking this episode is the way that the characters are just dealt with compared to the last 2 seasons. I'm not dissapointed because my "favourite" characters are dead, i'm dissapointed because they were all disposed of in the same episode, minutes apart from each other and all of them happened very quickly. Maybe if there was a gut-wrenching scene where lee says goodbye to doug/carley as they slowly die. Instead it's a scene that lasts for a few minutes where you spend more time being annoyed at lilly than you do seeing the actual death or mourning over it. A few minutes later it's like lee has forgotten about it.

• @TeleporterFIN said: Are you fucking serious? Almost everyone dies in Episode 3, no matter what. Carley/Doug, Duck, Katjaa, and Lilly has the choice to be thrown out.

I understand the point of some people that you can't control other people, but do you have any idea how frustrating it is to see your favourite character die without being able to do anything, and if you play through the game multiple times you have to see those scenes EVERY time?
    :mad:

That's what I really enjoyed about this episode. It makes it clear that their writers have gotten me emotionally invested enough in these characters that their fates actually have an impact. Knowing that I could be a white knight and save the people I like would take away a lot from this game. This is "The Walking Dead" after all.

I also felt like I was able to make several meaningful decisions in this episode, unlike several other posters I guess. The two I appreciate the most were whether I would leave Lilly stranded after she murdered Carley (the scene that led up to this was just awesome) and choosing whether or not to shoot Duck myself. Pointing a glock at an eight year old kid as he's taking his lasts breaths right after his mother shot herself is something that I'll remember for a long time.

I feel like being able to make choices like that for Lee's character while still following the over all narrative is enough for me. I stopped complaining about the delays after episode 2 because I felt TellTale was crafting a very enjoyable story. They confirmed my feelings with this episode and can consider me a very happy customer.

• @martymcfly said: Soo... at the very beginning of Ep 3 when I shot the woman to save her suffering, it didn't matter? Well perhaps it didn't matter to you - which is fair enough. And perhaps it didn't really make a real difference to the game afterwards - again, fair enough. But it mattered to me when I was playing and I know I made the right decision. In my opinion, you get as much out of the game as you put in.

this is your example of a choice that matters?

• TTG is just digging own grave if they are willing to do also season 2...

• @Garland7G said: this is your example of a choice that matters?

Do you let a woman die a horrible death to make it easier to loot a store or do you spare her suffering and make it harder for yourself in the short-term. It also tells you a lot about yourself/Lee's character. I'd say that matters.

• @Marleysativa said: Do you let a woman die a horrible death to make it easier to loot a store or [...]

That's the thing tho.
    1.) you still have enough time to loot enough for it to be considered getting "plenty".

2.) you lose all your looted stuff anyway shortly after so even if you did not get enough items due to your choice (which you DID either way) it doesn't matter because you lose all shortly after anyways.

People aren't arguing about lack of choices. There are plenty. People argue about such made choices having no impact on the general story.

• @Marleysativa said: Do you let a woman die a horrible death to make it easier to loot a store or do you spare her suffering and make it harder for yourself in the short-term. It also tells you a lot about yourself/Lee's character. I'd say that matters.

what it tells about yourself or Lee's character?? From my point nothing there is not enough options for yourself and too much for getting know Lees's character:confused:

• @Marleysativa said: Do you let a woman die a horrible death to make it easier to loot a store or do you spare her suffering and make it harder for yourself in the short-term. It also tells you a lot about yourself/Lee's character. I'd say that matters.

maybe if you're RP'n it matters, but 5 minutes later that girl and those supplies mean nothing. Now, if you could use one of those supplies to change something later on, i would agree with you.

• @Garland7G said: maybe if you're RP'n it matters, but 5 minutes later that girl and those supplies mean nothing. Now, if you could use one of those supplies to change something later on, i would agree with you.

That's exactly what I have been saying from the beginning. Let something that we do have an impact on the game if that is how you are hellbent on promoting the game.

Maybe those of us that feel this way are more results oriented people in general.

Add Comment