User Avatar Image

What you would change about Episode 3

posted by kirby18 on - last edited - Viewed by 658 users

!Spoilers!!

-Why Carly WHYYYYYY!! Telltale your such a tease. Have a huge romance with Carly, have that soft music playing when you talk to her, have her kiss you on the cheek and tell you she thinks about you and than what? lets just remove her from the story. Not to mention she was really becoming a part of the family (aka lee and clem)

-Also, katjaa ! You didnt have to rip out my heart telltale with carly than just completely ... im at a loss of words.

-And finally I wish lilly stayed with the group, hopefully we'll see her again but doubt it... I feel like she could of redeemed herself of something.

- A funny yet serious one, when you were walking around the train trying to get it started and the FREAKING ZOMBIE WOULDNT SHUP UP !!!! WTF! and than chuck with his guitar later but atleast that wasnt terrible to listen to on repeat for a solid 10 minutes.

If you know me, you would know I guaranteed Doug/Carlys death/departure before the episode, and I dont mind the way she was killed but why!! :(:(:(

Overall, brilliant episode telltale, and not to take away from it at all but I wished they did just a few things differently...

Please comment with what you think or better yet wish could of happened to make the episode better

72 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • honestly i wouldnt change a thing, theyve done a fantastic job at making the forums explode in outrage over the death of carley, which shows how invested and shocking it was that TT went ahead and killed her off, which is complete authentic walking dead style. Get you invested in characaters then kill them off at a whim in unexpected ways. im glad they didnt go the typical route when coming up with a new twist in the story telling and throw a half assed romantic interest in, they decided to develop even further in your interest and protection of clementine... to have a love affair going as well would be silly and take away from the core development focus between those two characters. Ultimately at the end of the day the story is about Lee, and how hes going to see clementine through the zombie apocalypse, and gain redemption for his sins in the past.

• @Zhombre said: honestly i wouldnt change a thing, theyve done a fantastic job at making the forums explode in outrage over the death of carley, which shows how invested and shocking it was that TT went ahead and killed her off, which is complete authentic walking dead style. Get you invested in characaters then kill them off at a whim in unexpected ways. im glad they didnt go the typical route when coming up with a new twist in the story telling and throw a half assed romantic interest in, they decided to develop even further in your interest and protection of clementine... to have a love affair going as well would be silly and take away from the core development focus between those two characters. Ultimately at the end of the day the story is about Lee, and how hes going to see clementine through the zombie apocalypse, and gain redemption for his sins in the past.

Wrong. The Outrage comes because *how* Carly/Doug died was pointless and poorly executed. And bad press/attention is not always "good press." Especially when you're an Arcade/Download Game.

Mass Effect 3 was a giant Triple-A title that people had deep investments in, and, when BioWare slapped the fans across the face with a poorly written/poorly executed twist, it effected the sales of the game with mass returns, and proverbial industry shit storm.

While Carly/Doug's demise won't garner quite that level of rage, it is likely to effect sales of the next episode and the series overall. I've seen such posts both here and on other gaming sites. Something I'm sure TellTale is aware of.

So, you're proud of them, and that's fine. But don't believe for a moment they thought this through because they obviously didn't.

• @ComixFan said: Wrong. The Outrage comes because *how* Carly/Doug died was pointless and poorly executed. And bad press/attention is not always "good press." Especially when you're an Arcade/Download Game.

Mass Effect 3 was a giant Triple-A title that people had deep investments in, and, when BioWare slapped the fans across the face with a poorly written/poorly executed twist, it effected the sales of the game with mass returns, and proverbial industry shit storm.

While Carly/Doug's demise won't garner quite that level of rage, it is likely to effect sales of the next episode and the series overall. I've seen such posts both here and on other gaming sites. Something I'm sure TellTale is aware of.

So, you're proud of them, and that's fine. But don't believe for a moment they thought this through because they obviously didn't.

ok hold the phone here, ur seriously not comparing the deaths of doug/carly to the endings of me3 are you? your greatly overstating the worth of carley and doug if you are, they were tertiary characters at best, not some game changing momentous characters that you completely lose all worth in the game over losing them. Also not every death has huge meaning in the world, lots of people die stupid pointless deaths everyday ....why because theyre in your party or in a unique situation does their deaths have to be this huge momentous occasion? I think its incredibly interesting that theyd kill them so nonchalantly ... it shows the bleakness of twd universe. You may not like that it happened, but that isnt a reflection of poor story telling, poor story telling would make you not give a shit whatsoever. i think it was done to get a huge reaction out of the fanbase and shake the dynamic up- and it succeeded greatly at doing so, your heatedness of your response proves that greatly. Besides its not a huge stretch for lilly to lose her shit all of a sudden, shes been ready to snap since the first episode...

Also its sad commentary that ud want to have complete fan (well fans with YOUR perspective seeing as me and many others have no problem with ep 3 whatsoever) approval of all aspects of the story so you wouldnt bail on buying future episodes. If tt had that mentality the fiction would be boring as hell, predictable, and would prolly consist of carley, clementine, and lee sailing to the florida keys with her parents. You need shock value, you need to be able to keep your audience guessing in order to make solid story telling.

• I got it, Carly returns as a friendly ghost. As desperate as that is, that is honestly the only way shes coming back. If she came back alive by any excuse I would lose respect for tt. I would like her to return but at the same time the story has been BRILLIANTLY told so far that (like I said before) has kept plot twists and reality at a fair line.

What I mean by that is I hope for the sake of the game, Lilly or Carly dont return, Chuck is not the st johns father, or that the guy on the walkie talkie is anyone we know...why? Because those things would not be plausible in logic or in life. Now I know a lot will say its a video game and its supposed to be entertaining and stretch reality but so far tt has tooken an angle where they keep the story moving and very interesting without making huge plot turns.

• well actually I was quite shocked by Lilly shooting Carley. I think the leaving her lying at the side of the road because in need of quick depature situation was well executed.

The thing I didnt really like that much in regarding the storytelling is that Katja shoot herself right in front of her dying son. Well ok I understand her demise but this felt a little bit wrong.

And I think we might get some interesting conversation about Lilly killing Carley in the next episode and in Lee gieving some more grief to that.

I let Lilly go with the van and would love to see her again in one of the next episodes. Lee and Lilly should talk some more than they have after Lilly shooting Carley. I am as the character Lee not in rage and dont wanna kill Lilly but I could imagine a situation where Lilly and Lee have made their peace and then Lilly gets bitten by a zombie and she wants Lee to give her the shoot in the head and kill her. So that finally the story between Lilly, Lee (and Carley) ends.

• @Zhombre said: ... you completely lose all worth in the game over losing them.

That's exactly what happened to me.

@Zhombre said: ... carley, clementine, and lee sailing to the florida keys with her parents.

It's the good ending idea. I like it.

• @Gem!n! said: well actually I was quite shocked by Lilly shooting Carley. I think the leaving her lying at the side of the road because in need of quick depature situation was well executed.

The thing I didnt really like that much in regarding the storytelling is that Katja shoot herself right in front of her dying son. Well ok I understand her demise but this felt a little bit wrong.

And I think we might get some interesting conversation about Lilly killing Carley in the next episode and in Lee gieving some more grief to that.

I let Lilly go with the van and would love to see her again in one of the next episodes. Lee and Lilly should talk some more than they have after Lilly shooting Carley. I am as the character Lee not in rage and dont wanna kill Lilly but I could imagine a situation where Lilly and Lee have made their peace and then Lilly gets bitten by a zombie and she wants Lee to give her the shoot in the head and kill her. So that finally the story between Lilly, Lee (and Carley) ends.

Lilly is gone for good. Carly is gone for good. I agree with everything you said besides lilly coming back. She is not.

• @ComixFan said: But their pointless in the sense of tragedy, tragedy which fuels the greater narrative. They're not *bleeping* Scapegoats. Kirkman is a better writer then that. Something greater is always taken from those deaths.

Carly/Doug's demise is a blink moment and then they've essentially moved on. They even leave her/his body on the side of the road like she/he's not important, not even bothering to take it for burial or burning. She/He was shot in the face, so she's/he's not coming back. It literally was a plot hole through which they shoved Lily out.

Example of a Pointless/Senseless death that adds painful gravitas to the story? Katjaa's suicide.

Carley's/Doug's murder showed us just how far Lilly had deteriorated from the events in the past episode. Not to mention what it does to Lee and how he handles a decision shortly after. That was what I took away from his/her death. Not every death needs to have significance to the overall story.

These characters also live in a different world. They essentially had lost all stability (what little there was) a short time before and had just witnessed a friend murdered by one of their own. Pleasantries like burials are a luxury in their world. If you haven't learned that by now... I just don't know.

Wrong. The Outrage comes because *how* Carly/Doug died was pointless and poorly executed. And bad press/attention is not always "good press." Especially when you're an Arcade/Download Game.

It may have been pointless to you, but it was executed extremely well. Seriously, what are you expecting? There are several of us that have warned that these things would happen if TTG followed through with sticking to the spirit of "The Walking Dead" comics.

Because you don't like the events that transpired in this episode, it was poorly thought out. Wat. This episode was absolutely awesome, I'm sorry you don't feel the same way.

• I think since theres so many people that think carley's death was executed in a bad way they should make her come back in a dream or hallucination for some closure

Add Comment