User Avatar Image

TWD Episode 3 Won't Continue from Previous Saves!

posted by eddyc123 on - last edited - Viewed by 3.2K users

I bought the walking dead a few days ago (just before release) and completed episode 1 and 2 with no issues in one day.

I then finished the walking dead episode 2 and it simply takes me back to the main screen and Episode 3 says COMING SOON. If I re-launch the game, Episode 3 I can play but it says "Generate random story decisions for skipped episodes" so it will not continue with my choices.

I have tried this "continue" option 3 times to no avail. I even used the "rewind" feature on a copy of the save and it deleted the save! :< HELP MEEEE there is nothing as annoying than buying a game you cannot play :<

Has anyone else had this on the PC version (bought with steam).

31 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @bazenji said: At first confused by dates...then realize you're European.

Looks like it's saving to the right place but your prefs.prop has forgotten about all of your other saves. Which means you need to restore your previous prefs.prop.

First, copy from your backup and overwrite that save folder completely. Remember not to change your backup, though.

Then check your prefs.prop and see what the date is on that. If it says anything between 28/08/12 and 01/09/2012 then it's been updated to ignore all of your saves and from now on will save new games and overwrite the old ones in order counting up.

To hopefully fix this, right-click on prefs.prop, click "Properties," then click on the tab called "Previous Versions" and then pick a version of prefs.prop from before the Episode 3 update (at least several days ago, preferably up to two weeks ago).

This should force your prefs.prop to start counting up from your last autosave (55) and recognize all of your previous files.

Restart, check your stats, and try starting a new Episode 3 game with a previous save to see if your choices carried over.

Thank you that seems to have worked.

It's about time I had a fix for the problem I was having :).

Been whinging for the past 2 days because all of the fixes didn't fix my problem.

Thank you very much.

I will just need to make sure my decisions are the same. I only had one restore point which took me back to the 07/06/2012 15 minutes after my last save game on 55. (Your way of dates by the way ha)

• I'm having the same issue my PS3 any solutions

• My PC won't roll back that far I can only go a day. I'm f'ed. Thank you TTG for screwing my game. I've already podcasted about how terrible a launch this 3rd episode has been how unhelpful your tech support has been to your community of people that for the most part really like you games. My poor experience will also be reflected in my review that I write covering this game.

Thank you to everyone that has been trying to help out each other. It's given me some hope throughout this process.

Off to START ALL OVER!!!

• @Castiel91

No problem. 15 minutes after you last save is I think the final ending status. Took me four hours to figure out what's been going on. It all ties into either how the update changed the prefs.prop or how the update changed the save folder or both.

@Leejohn

Probably the same issue. Except Sony won't let you make changes to the hard drive files, so I'd make a new thread ATTN: PS3 and tell TTG that they've changed the prefs.prop (or equivalent) and it's screwing up the old saves.

@Curdle Sanders

If you're having the same exact problem as Castiel91, then not being able to roll back is going to be a problem. But only if you're absolutely sure you have the same problem should you give up (has the game been saving new files in your original folder and overwriting your old ones? If not, then you can still fix it using the method I described above.)

• @bazenji said: At first confused by dates...then realize you're European.

Looks like it's saving to the right place but your prefs.prop has forgotten about all of your other saves. Which means you need to restore your previous prefs.prop.

First, copy from your backup and overwrite that save folder completely. Remember not to change your backup, though.

Then check your prefs.prop and see what the date is on that. If it says anything between 28/08/12 and 01/09/2012 then it's been updated to ignore all of your saves and from now on will save new games and overwrite the old ones in order counting up.

To hopefully fix this, right-click on prefs.prop, click "Properties," then click on the tab called "Previous Versions" and then pick a version of prefs.prop from before the Episode 3 update (at least several days ago, preferably up to two weeks ago).

This should force your prefs.prop to start counting up from your last autosave (55) and recognize all of your previous files.

Restart, check your stats, and try starting a new Episode 3 game with a previous save to see if your choices carried over.

THANK YOU THANK YOU SO MUCH! This worked for me! I tried every fix, my saves weren't even showing up in the game, and now after doing what you said, not only is my last save from episode 2 available, all my stats are there and it looks like I can finally play! Thank you again! I will share your fix on some other threads if that's OK, giving you credit of course, because loads of people are having this problem :) :)

• Right on!

I tried posting on Steam's boards but the admins won't approve my username, so hopefully someone else can float these around if they work.

• I don't keep restore points........low space.

• For me the problem was different. I started a new Episode 2 game, let it autosave (with a new name - save_6.save), then copied the last saved game from my backup folder (save_28.save) and RENAMED it to save_6.save. Bang, there it was, Episode 2 completed. Then I started a new Episode 3 game but suddenly my decisions from Episode 1 are completely different (like Doug/Carly), while my Ep. 2 decisions are intact.

This really sucks. I've been messing with this for 2 hours now and I just gave up on the game. This is very annoying and disappointing, specially in a game where decisions matter. I don't want to replay the first two episodes - I don't have that much time and I was really enjoying the game up to this point.

• Ok I finally got it working and finding my old saves through a combination of doing what everyone has suggested.

However, if you leave the game it will not save your progress and will say Episode 3 is coming soon. I rejoined the game and it was from the save at the end of Episode 2. So kinda annoyed that I lost all my afternoon progress.

I really think this is a situation where I need to wait for TTG to get a patch out. I don't want to play episode 3 and not save my progress for episode 4.

• This is the same thing happening to me. You know, I am really not interested in doing anymore file searching, changing suffixes, moving files around...this is absurd. We paid for the game, played it for hours, saved those game and now, suddenly, they no longer work? Fix the game, you guys at TTG, don't give me a 6 step checklist on how I can do it myself. That is not how this is supposed to work.

Add Comment