User Avatar Image

Episode 3 ruined everything

posted by falcon168 on - last edited - Viewed by 3K users

The first time I'm not looking forward to new release at all. If it comes out, I'll play, if not, I'm not bothered. Well done TTG! episode 3 ruined everthing and also appeared everything about that fake choice making.

193 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Ern said:
    Also the trailer to 4 downright said my choice in 3 didn't matter when i told clem my plan to look for her parents when we arrive! gee thanks telltale :rolleyes: I guess in 4 now im going to be looking at any newcomers who aren't kenny or clem and assume they are going to die somewhere in the series unfortunatley.

I don't trust the previews. At all. Anything they show is possibly bullshit. I know the preview for Ep2 showed things that didn't happen at all. I ignored the preview for 3 and 4 completely because fuck them anyway.

• This is not Sims. You can't control other characters' actions.

• User Avatar Image
    Ern

@Androu1 said: I don't trust the previews. At all. Anything they show is possibly bullshit. I know the preview for Ep2 showed things that didn't happen at all. I ignored the preview for 3 and 4 completely because fuck them anyway.

Fair enough i did see things in the previews that did happen they are good at keeping in surprises from the trailers just my take on it. As for the sims guy...well he just doesn't get it

• @cormoran said: That was the game making a few random changes at the beginning, it was forcing those differences as I explained in the first page, that has nothing to do with player choice changing the game. I think you definately remember it too fondly, I played it quite a bit and it's a great game, but it isn't the game where every choice you make throughout changes everything as you're trying to say it is.

You have every right to complain, but i'm sticking to my position that you're expecting something that modern gaming (including blade runner, since the only real choices that made any difference in that were only towards the ending) is simply incapable of producing.

I find it funny that a guy who cannot present any significant changes in TWD says that a game known for making different playthrough's different has "few random changes". The fact that you judge a game from 97' on the same criteria, even when one is FMV. This just enforces my opinion that you are too in love with the game to judge it with an open critical mind. Mimd you that said other game never even marketed as being about changes, was made fifteen years before and still has what I would call significant differences in gameplay and story. To judge these side by side in this category TWD loses in every respect

• I see many people saying that the player can't necessarily control other people, and I see their point well. But there should still be some way to save certain people, it's frustrating to see your favourite character die every single time you play through a certain part.
    There could even be two modes that allow you to do certain things, kinda like Minimal and Standard UI. Only this time you could actually DECIDE who dies and who doesn't.

• @TeleporterFIN said: I see many people saying that the player can't necessarily control other people, and I see their point well. But there should still be some way to save certain people, it's frustrating to see your favourite character die every single time you play through a certain part.
    There could even be two modes that allow you to do certain things, kinda like Minimal and Standard UI. Only this time you could actually DECIDE who dies and who doesn't.

For me it doesn't really matter that much who dies and who doesn't. For me the problem is that whatever you have done will lead to the exact same stuff happening. That is what's frustrating...

• Exactly. Let's take Doug/Carley choice again because so far it is (arguably) the choice with the biggest influence. But if you play both sides you see it really isn't. Because both essentially do and say the same stuff after the counterpart is dead in EP1.

It would be different if they made different stuff with them until they died. Like let's say if you choose Doug he died in a totally different incident at a different point in the game. Just making both do/say and even die at the same exact times in the same exact incidents makes it like you didn't influence shit. I will overexaggerate now just to make my point: it feels like when you chose one all that happened was the model of the other would be replaced. Because again: nothing unique happens. No branch anywhere.

• Are the same people complaining about lack of concrete decisions the same complaining about release delays?

Think about how it would pan out.

Episode 1 with 1 major choice, 2 outcomes in total.
    Episode 2 comes, you make a major decision for each choice in episode 1.

So now they would have to develop:

EP 2 choice 1 (Ep1 Outcome 1 + Ep1 Outcome 2)
    EP 2 choice 2 (Ep1 Outcome 1 + Ep1 Outcome 2)

As the episodes go along, it'll just keep branching, and branching because you have to account for the choices made in prior episodes.

Sure, you could merge the story arc at some point, but then people will just be back onto the "choices don't really matter" bandwagon.

Hopefully I'm making it clear enough, and if not, maybe someone who does understand could explain it better.

• @ShadowFlux said: Are the same people complaining about lack of concrete decisions the same complaining about release delays?

Think about how it would pan out.

Episode 1 with 1 major choice, 2 outcomes in total.
    Episode 2 comes, you make a major decision for each choice in episode 1.

So now they would have to develop:

EP 2 choice 1 (Ep1 Outcome 1 + Ep1 Outcome 2)
    EP 2 choice 2 (Ep1 Outcome 1 + Ep1 Outcome 2)

As the episodes go along, it'll just keep branching, and branching because you have to account for the choices made in prior episodes.

Sure, you could merge the story arc at some point, but then people will just be back onto the "choices don't really matter" bandwagon.

Hopefully I'm making it clear enough, and if not, maybe someone who does understand could explain it better.

I understand all that you've just said fine, but if it's impossible (which it is not believe me) then DON'T ADVERTISE IT AS A MAIN FEATURE. The fact that we had Carley/Doug with us in episode two made it atleast feel like a difference and to me that was enough. Did they have to kill that character? Nope, just minimize what they do in the future. Did they do it for dramatic effect? Probably, but if you think that was the only reason they got rid of the only character that was there because of branching you are not only naive, but ignorant.

Add Comment