User Avatar Image

Do you think it would be possible to cure an infected person?

posted by Gvazdas on - last edited - Viewed by 1.3K users

Hey guys, so I've recently thought about this.
What if you were actually able to stop an infection if you were to act fast and had the proper medical supplies?
Now, I did not study medicine, but here's what I understand:
1. After someone was bitten by an infected zombie, the zombie sinks their teeth in a victim's skin, causing a wound and bacteria from their mouth and saliva to get into the wound.
2. Infection is never instant in a real-life situation. If you have, say, experience in medicine, have the proper medical supplies and perhaps even a doctor near you, a real-life infection could be cured almost instantly.
Now, if you were infected and had so much experience and expertise in medicine, and acted fast, do you think you'd be able to cure your infection?
As soon as you get bitten and kill the zombie, you clean your wound with a medicinal towel, then pour a lot of peroxide on the wound, clean it again and swallow some anti-bacterial pills (I'm not sure those exist) and do whatever you can with the medicine you have to get cured.
So, what do you think? Vote in the poll and then post your opinion.

56 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @thestalkinghead said: no amount of disinfectant pored onto a zombie bite will kill all the virus, there would be thousands of the virus cells just hanging out under the thousands of dead cells, its why antibiotics are important

Small amounts of bacteria can be killed by your body fighting against it. Large amounts, however, cannot.
    If there's, say, a small or medium amount of bacteria on the wound, if you used peroxide on it, all of it, or most of it would be eliminated and the rest that is inside your organism would be fought off by your organism's self-defense against viruses and bacteria. It really depends on how much is in your system.
    Our bodies survive because they are capable of defending themselves from viruses and bacteria. Zombie bacteria is no different, it just has much, much bigger consequences.

• Kirkman has said the bites don't spread any Zombie infection, the "Infection" is in everyone already. So yes, you could theoretically stop a bitten person turning if you could successfully disinfect them and prevent them dying of disease, I suppose.

• @Gvazdas said: Small amounts of bacteria can be killed by your body fighting against it. Large amounts, however, cannot.
    If there's, say, a small or medium amount of bacteria on the wound, if you used peroxide on it, all of it, or most of it would be eliminated and the rest that is inside your organism would be fought off by your organism's self-defense against viruses and bacteria. It really depends on how much is in your system.
    Our bodies survive because they are capable of defending themselves from viruses and bacteria. Zombie bacteria is no different, it just has much, much bigger consequences.

if i bite you hard you will need antibiotics, let alone if i had been dead for a few weeks and i bite you

• Isn't there always a tiny percentage of humans immune to a certain viral infection? Theoretically you could create an antidote from them.

Disclaimer: Most of my medical knowledge in this matter comes from disaster B-movies.

• If one were to clean the wound with something - peroxide, antiseptic, even a good ole bottle of alcohol, it would get rid of enough germs for the body to fight it. Now, because the 'zombie virus' is already in everyone, and that the bite just causes a serious infection that happens to kill you, I think the only reason cleaning (and dressing) the wound wouldn't work would be that the fiction itself doesn't allow it, unless you amputate (which makes no sense, what if that gets infected, or you die of blood loss).

• I know the perfect cure! A bullet to the brain.

• You could probably cure a bite victim but you would need a doctor not a vet Duck was a gonner

• everyone is infected and turn when they die the bites just kill.

• If it's not a virus, they aren't "infected". Maybe "mutated" would be a better word. Maybe it's the result of sentient gases released in a solar flare or a passing comet.

• I keep saying this over and over. If you look the the Walking Dead Wiki under zombies, it cites a letter response where Kirkman refuses to confirm the nature of the zombie. He only says that nothing is transmitted through the bite, it just becomes an infected wound in the way that any other wound would fester and kill you in a non-sterile environment. Since everyone dead turns into a zombie, you die and reanimate.

The interesting question here is - if you controlled the situation entirely, cleaned a zombie's mouth, disinfected the wound and cleaned everything perfectly, would the bite still kill you? Dale has avoided turning because of an amputation, so it's not a supernatural event. You have to die by physical means, it's not simply triggered by the bite. My theory is yes, a perfectly controlled disinfected bite would not turn someone. But until Kirkman gives an example of a shiny toothed zombie who bites someone in a newly refurbished hospital, we won't know.

Add Comment