User Avatar Image

[Ep1-3, SPOILERS]Team Lilly vs. Team Kenny (merged threads)

posted by Zeekay980 on - last edited - Viewed by 10.8K users

All of Kenny's decisions are about taking risks. A lot of them unnecessary or not that thought out. "We break the lock and see what they're hiding. If those farmers give us trouble we take em' out" or something like that. Let's not forget rushing to rescue his family without even grabbing a weapon or looking for the other brother. Some are sensible risks like we have to leave our safe haven otherwise we starve. Lilly is all about playing it safe. She doesn't want any new people because they are unknowns and extra mouths to feed. She doesn't want to risk leaving a place they know is safe to try to find someplace with more food that might not exist. When given enough suspicions about the farm, she suggests just leaving without snooping around or getting dinner. She also doesn't want to loot the car because it might not be abandoned and she doesn't want to risk fucking up somebody's life. The only time they are reversed is with Larry for obvious reasons. Just my two cents.

316 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I get it Fluffy, you think you're some tough b*tch don't you? Like Telltale can't hurt you, but you're just a scared little poster. Get the f*ck over it.
    *Fluffy stares at BourbonTeacup menacingly*
    Take a page from ShadowFlux's book and try seeing it from their perspective for once.
    *Fluffy pops a cap in my skull*

I hope Fluffy you've seen the Carley version of the scene to get that, and I'm kidding around but I do honestly think that while a lot of the choices didn't change much, a lot of choices seem more about defining Lee, not changing the world around him. Like the choice with that girl at the start, are you survivor at all costs, letting her die painfully just to reduce risk, or are you a compassionate killer, executing her but easing her suffering. Not every choice has to shape everyone else, sometimes it just shows what sort of man you are.

• I totally agree. I love the series so far, but I am getting really disappointed with how little your choices matter. It's their story not yours whatever they want to happen will. I'm assuming if you don't save Duck in episode 1 he still lives? I didn't know that at the time. And try to save Larry or not he dies. Allow Lilly to stay or not you lose her. Meet total strangers and whether you trust them or not they join the group. Whether you want to hurt Ben over what he did you can't do anything about it. Nothing you do really matters at all.

• I'll see things from his perspective... with the bloody end of an axe handle maybe!

Seriously though, how Lilly/Carley/Doug played out is still just poor writing in my book. It's completely obvious that the writers just wanted Lilly and Carley/Doug gone. The hints and actions that characters take depending on what you say had no affect on Lilly's departure or Doug/Carley's life.

The entire game, especially from episode 2 onwards, has had this "Kenny vs Lilly" vibe that ends in episode 3. The ending is the same, no matter what way you look at it. It makes no sense that Lilly would offer to take you and then just leaves you. It makes no sense that we've gotten along great yet she still pulls a gun out. The ONLY way it makes sense is if you have sided with Kenny the entire time.

It felt like, and should have been, that we would have to choose once and for all Kenny or Lilly. That there should have been two sides. That Kenny should have been the one freaking out, just like Lilly did, and eventually left us with his family and we advanced with Lilly instead of him. Forget people who liked Lilly though, because you got chosen for you.

The writers wanted Lilly and Doug/Carley gone and for Kenny to be your only remaining bro and, screw the players who liked Lilly, they did it. Why even have this whole "Lilly vs Kenny" debate over the previous episodes if Lilly is just going to leave regardless? Why even hint that it's going to be some big confrontation when there's only one conclusion in the final confrontation that you can't change?

• @Drizzy2 said: I totally agree. I love the series so far, but I am getting really disappointed with how little your choices matter. It's their story not yours whatever they want to happen will. I'm assuming if you don't save Duck in episode 1 he still lives? I didn't know that at the time. And try to save Larry or not he dies. Allow Lilly to stay or not you lose her. Meet total strangers and whether you trust them or not they join the group. Whether you want to hurt Ben over what he did you can't do anything about it. Nothing you do really matters at all.

When you hear the company name "TellTale" what do you think of?
    I think of being Told a tale through their games, they have a bit of a niche market in games. If you make the decisions and change the story, they're not really telling a tale now are they?

Look, we can view this logically (based on value).
    Most people want to change the destination of this story instead of enjoying the ride with having some colorful input.
    Right there you're looking at something most or all $60 can't produce, from a $24.99/season game (14.99 on sale).

Everyone seems to be asking for $60 + several DLC worth of content from a $24.99 price point. It's just not going to happen, and it doesn't fit what this company does.

• Huge lol at ShadowFlux there. If you really think that branching dialogue with the same outcome is equal to the story is tailored by how you play, then it sounds an awful lot like post-purchase rationalization to me... and TTG's shabby marketing terms.

• @Accall said: Huge lol at ShadowFlux there. If you're really think that branching dialogue with the same outcome is equal to the story is tailored by how you play, then it sounds an awful lot like post-purchase rationalization to me... and TTG's shabby marketing terms.

dubesor posted this in another thread:

jlr3y.jpg

What everyone is realistically asking for: Example 1. From a $24.99 game. Not. Going. To. Happen.

Example 2. Seems logical, but as I stated in that thread, that leaves you in 2 separate spots for when season 2 picks up. Right there, that's another big problem and will push the game towards example one as seasons progress (if you end up with more than 2). Which is also, not likely.

Example 3. I think is an over-dramatization of what we do have, I see it more as branching out and reconnecting in a diamond shape (thus far) from the point where you choose Carley/Doug to when they die.

I think you're going through a pre-purchase misunderstanding and a post-purchase regret based on said misunderstanding, instead of accepting it for what it is.

• all adventure games are just basically flow charts, what is so hard about adding a few branches.

sure it would add production time for new scenes and characters, and writing a story for many branches would be complicated, but it's not impossible.

they should have just called it an interactive story and we would have never expected any more.

i have basically accepted that this game is just an interactive story (i still hold out a little hope of more) but i still want a game where choices actually matter, so maybe for season 2 telltale could start figuring out how to do that.

• @thestalkinghead said: all adventure games are just basically flow charts, what is so hard about adding a few branches.

sure it would add production time for new scenes and characters, and writing a story for many branches would be complicated, but it's not impossible.

they should have just called it an interactive story and we would have never expected any more.

i have basically accepted that this game is just an interactive story (i still hold out a little hope of more) but i still want a game where choices actually matter, so maybe for season 2 telltale could start figuring out how to do that.

Right, but most adventure games with larger flow charts (most likely) come with larger price tags.
    Impossible? No, but you're going to have to reach deeper into your pockets to get it - especially to get it to the scope it seems most people would like it to be. I'm almost believing people honestly expect a sandbox zombie apocalypse experience for their $25.

If it doesn't come down to understanding your choices just change how Lee is reacted towards throughout the game, then it's got to be about understanding what you're getting for the price you paid.

Either way, to me, it matches what they've advertised.

• Perhaps they could at extra episodes at extra (DLC) cost with alternate storylines?

• @ShadowFlux said: Right, but most adventure games with larger flow charts (most likely) come with larger price tags.
    Impossible? No, but you're going to have to reach deeper into your pockets to get it - especially to get it to the scope it seems most people would like it to be. I'm almost believing people honestly expect a sandbox zombie apocalypse experience for their $25.

If it doesn't come down to understanding your choices just change how Lee is reacted towards throughout the game, then it's got to be about understanding what you're getting for the price you paid.

Either way, to me, it matches what they've advertised.

don't go mad and extend my "what is so hard about adding a few branches" to "expect a sandbox zombie apocalypse experience" it is you who is rationalising misleading advertisement, and as i said i like the walking dead game, but i would like a game where choices matter aswell

and all DLC makes me sick, a Carley lives DLC would make me RAGE!!

Add Comment